Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help me pick the right bike - is a gravel bike right for me?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 06:53 AM
abfahrt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am an occasional biker who bikes on paved paths, some roads, and forest preserves. I am in the Chicago area, so, mostly flat terrain.
I like to go at good speed or effort.
I have currnelty a Bad Body Lefty. This is of course more a city commuter type of bike. It works fairly well on paved paths and light gravel. But I like something more optimized for my use case. Neither a MTB or road bike would be right. So, I was thinking about getting a gravel bike. Would this the be right choice?
If yes, what should I consider picking a gravel bike? e.g. gearing, suspension, etc.
Old 04-22-24, 07:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3702 Post(s)
Liked 5,531 Times in 2,799 Posts
Gravel bike sounds like a good choice, very versatile given that you can easily swap tires. You'll need to choose between 1X or 2X. Wouldn't make much difference for your use. Some people have difficulty adjusting front shifting though it's a non-issue for most. Look for modern frame spacing, thru axles, etc and beware some budget offerings with weird or obsolete specs. Your use doesn't seem demanding, think you'll be fine with a lower spec bike around $1500. Check out the Giant Revolt and Cannondale Topstone range. However, nicer is always nicer so treat yourself if budget permits.
Old 04-22-24, 07:48 AM
abfahrt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Gravel bike sounds like a good choice, very versatile given that you can easily swap tires. You'll need to choose between 1X or 2X. Wouldn't make much difference for your use. Some people have difficulty adjusting front shifting though it's a non-issue for most. Look for modern frame spacing, thru axles, etc and beware some budget offerings with weird or obsolete specs. Your use doesn't seem demanding, think you'll be fine with a lower spec bike around $1500. Check out the Giant Revolt and Cannondale Topstone range. However, nicer is always nicer so treat yourself if budget permits.
thanks! I had to look up 1x vs 2x. I don't think I will be swapping wheels/tires. One thing I noticed: almost none of gravel bikes have front suspension.It still seems to be a nice to have on forest paths?
Old 04-22-24, 07:50 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 182 Posts
I tried Googling "bad body lefty" and all I got was info about left-handed electric guitars.

My suggestion would depend on if you are planning to keep your current city bike for riding in the city. If so, you can shop for a more trail-oriented bike.
Old 04-22-24, 07:51 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by abfahrt
I am an occasional biker who bikes on paved paths, some roads, and forest preserves. I am in the Chicago area, so, mostly flat terrain.
↑ Do you bike on any gravel trails as part of the 'forest preserves'? If so, a gravel bike is a good option, especially when that fine crushed limestone gets a little soupy at times. If not and you're 90+% paved, you may be better served by an endurance road bike (or "All Road" bike, as they're called in the UK) with wider tires. Examples are Specialized Roubaix or Trek Domane. Endurance Road bike tires aren't generally as skinny as they used to be. For example, the Trek Domane line comes on 32 mm tires, where 23, 25 or 28 mm used to be the standard. It does gravel fine as long as it's not soupy or the stones aren't too big. An advantage of the endurance road bike is that it's a lot easier to go faster than 15 mph because there is less air drag on the tires due to not having knobby lugs. Below 15 mph, I don't notice the difference, but above that, I do. On the open road, I find myself cruising at 16-17 mph on the Domane and more like 15 on the gravel bike. When conditions are right, 20-25 mph is no problem on the Domane, but is a monumental effort on the gravel bike. Typical standard tire width on a gravel bike is around 40 mm now. You can run less pressure for a smoother ride on gravel or bad pavement than you can on the 32 mm road tires. It would be faster than your Bad Boy Lefty, but not as fast/easy as a road bike.

Hmm. Speed and effort can be two different things. For example, at a given level of effort on your Bad Boy Lefty, you might be going 15 mph and with that same effort you might be going 17 on a gravel bike and 19 on a road bike. (with good road conditions) With bad road conditions or rough gravel, that same effort may yield faster speeds on the Bad Boy Lefty.

There is a wide range of options for tires on gravel bikes nowadays too. Some of them are more like mountain bikes with fat tires but less aggressive lugs on the tires, and some are narrower than the fatter road bike tires, but with a bit of knobbiness to them.

By the way, I'm just up in Kenosha, WI. If you're about my size and want to take a trip up here, you're welcome to try my endurance road bike and gravel bike. I'm 5'8", 31" inseam. We do a coffee ride from Kenosha to Zion, IL and back most Saturday mornings you could join us for that and try one of my bikes. The coffee shop in Zion is two doors down from an excellent bike shop, too! (PM me if interested)

I bought my gravel bike with the intent to make it a combination bike for commuting faster than a commuter can go, but can still handle gravel trails and bad roads better than my road bike. But when I'm mostly on pavement, the endurance road bike is the easy choice.

Last edited by Smaug1; 04-22-24 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-22-24, 07:53 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I tried Googling "bad body lefty" and all I got was info about left-handed electric guitars.

My suggestion would depend on if you are planning to keep your current city bike for riding in the city. If so, you can shop for a more trail-oriented bike.
He meant 'Bad Boy', not 'Bad Body':

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik.../urban/bad-boy
Old 04-22-24, 07:56 AM
abfahrt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes

If I spelled better :-)
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...Bad%20Boy%201/
Old 04-22-24, 08:31 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 671 Posts
that's the one with the single leg fork ! never looked right to me.

too much bending moment on the front axle.

/markp
Old 04-22-24, 08:42 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
that's the one with the single leg fork ! never looked right to me.

too much bending moment on the front axle.

/markp
they actually have less movement
Old 04-22-24, 09:58 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3269 Post(s)
Liked 2,104 Times in 1,190 Posts
Gravel bikes generally don't get suspension forks, mostly to save weight and complexity. You can usually put upwards of a 44-45mm gravel tire and just run lower air pressure, 30-40 or so.

As I'm a fan of a 2X crank, gives you better gearing choices and you usually are not rushing to shift on a dirt road or trail, thus 2X works very well.

As well, many folk, myself included, add a 2nd wheelset with narrower slick road tires and maybe a less hill oriented cassette and use their gravel bikes as asphalt/road bikes. Double the bike for not a huge expense.
Old 04-22-24, 10:16 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 141 Posts
I probably would just swapped to grippier tires on that bad boy, like Gravel King SS+ and call it a day.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 04-22-24, 10:25 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 552 Posts
I have currnelty a Bad Body Lefty. This is of course more a city commuter type of bike. It works fairly well on paved paths and light gravel. But I like something more optimized for my use case. Neither a MTB or road bike would be right. So, I was thinking about getting a gravel bike. Would this the be right choice?
If yes, what should I consider picking a gravel bike? e.g. gearing, suspension, etc.
What specifically would be more optimized for your use? What would a gravel bike provide that you want/need? Do you want/need drop bars? Do you want to go faster? Do you want to do longer rides?

Seems like your current bike is pretty well suited to the kind of riding you do and also benefits from the low maintenance of belt drive and internal gear hub. If I was in your position, I think I'd keep riding that until you have a defined need and then you'll know what kind of bike to get.
Old 04-22-24, 10:28 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
You didn't mention a budget for this new bike or any real specifics of what you want, which will make a difference in what exactly to look for.

Suspension on gravel bikes does exist, but has been very limited until recently. It's still generally something being added to a few higher end bikes as the gravel suspension forks run about $1k. You may find that the larger tires at lower pressures gives you enough control & comfort for the riding you do.

It sounds like you have no intention of being a road racer so you probably don't need to worry about a second wheelset or different gearing for your different use cases. There are a lot of gravel tires that roll extremely fast on the road and are not nearly the speed penalty many roadies think they are so you don't really need to swap for your different uses. I think current 1x setups are the way to go if you live in a relatively flat area. 2x is great if you are a rider who is only comfortable pedaling in a very narrow cadence range, otherwise 1x can give you most of the same gear range in a cleaner, simpler package.
Old 04-22-24, 12:55 PM
abfahrt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
What specifically would be more optimized for your use? What would a gravel bike provide that you want/need? Do you want/need drop bars? Do you want to go faster? Do you want to do longer rides?

Seems like your current bike is pretty well suited to the kind of riding you do and also benefits from the low maintenance of belt drive and internal gear hub. If I was in your position, I think I'd keep riding that until you have a defined need and then you'll know what kind of bike to get.
A couple of things:
1.) Tires (wheels). Would need larger, more gripping tires. I am not sure what my limits are with current rimms
2.) There are times I like to ride a bit lower (body position). For sure, some more options to alternate would be nice.
3.) It could use a faster gear for paved trail/street use
4.) There are times when I doubt the strength of the internal gear hub. Certainly is finicky and requires lots of adjustment to keep it noise free (BTW. I don't have the belt, I have the chain option)
Old 04-22-24, 04:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3269 Post(s)
Liked 2,104 Times in 1,190 Posts
Only real limit on tire size is what kind of brakes are you using now, and can you squeeze a larger tire between the brake shoes (if rim brakes). That's one big advantage to a bike with disc brakes, is fewer limits on tire sizes. You still get limits at the rear chainstays and if using a front derailer that can hit a too wide a tire. Gearing is your choice really and is why I like 2X, more gear choices and on a road/dirt bike trail is noce to have those in between gears that you lose when going 1X.

Gravel bikes are kind of an ideal bike for your stated use, almost a road bike, yet able to take bigger knobbie tires useful on dirt/gravel trails. My Gravel King tires are a really good tire on pavement, as example, yet still do a very good job when I am turning on loose gravel trails.
Old 04-22-24, 04:23 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 552 Posts
A couple of things:
1.) Tires (wheels). Would need larger, more gripping tires. I am not sure what my limits are with current rimms
2.) There are times I like to ride a bit lower (body position). For sure, some more options to alternate would be nice.
4.) There are times when I doubt the strength of the internal gear hub. Certainly is finicky and requires lots of adjustment to keep it noise free (BTW. I don't have the belt, I have the chain option)
That provides a bit more detail and you should investigate some other bikes to see wether they would meet those requirements. My 2cents

1. If what I read is correct, your bike has 40c tires, which are pretty big. I suspect you could go wider, but you'd need to check for tire clearance. Generally a 40 tire is good enough for most people for groomed trails

2. Drop bars will offer more hand positions as well as a lower riding position.

3. You should check your current gear range in terms of gear inches and see how it would compare with a traditional drivetrain. In my experience, there isn't a lot of opportunity for high speeds on bike paths, especially in urban areas.

4. I've personally never had an IGH but from what I know, reliability and low maintenance is their big advantage. If yours requires constant tweaking, I would have someone look at it.

If you can, rent a gravel bike and take it out where you normally ride and see how you like it.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 04-22-24, 05:15 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 203 Posts
A gravel bike is a great option to work over mixed terrain. Generally a gravel bike doesn't have suspension. It's not clear from the OP's description if front suspension is needed. If you want to ride trails with tree roots and rocks, you'll want suspension and you're looking more towards a hard-tail mountain type bike or at least a gravel bike with a suspension fork.

The larger tires of a gravel bike provide a lot of cushion, so simple rough ground is fine, it's larger chunky stuff that it's not great on. But also, you have to think in terms of just how much you'll ride on rough terrain. If it is just a small amount, and you're only looking at the odd tree root or a few rocks here and there, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you're going to ride 50% of the time on terrain better suited to a mountain bike, then I'd use a mountain bike.

For example, say you have a trail you like but there's that one spot that you have to get off and walk the bike through. So what. I have to do that with my mountain bike sometimes. But of course there's no one bike that is going to be a good road bike as well as a rough terrain mountain bike.

As for gearing, a 2X gravel bike generally has great gearing. Plenty good enough for road rides unless you have pro-rider power. You'll likely only run out of top end (high speed) gearing if you're making long descents. And there's really no such thing as having too much low end.

A typical gravel gearing with a 46/30 front and 11-34 rear works really well. You can generally pedal up to ~35 MPH at 100 RPM cadence. And there's no way you're doing that on the flat without putting out elite rider power levels.

And, as mentioned by others, with a gravel bike, there's always the option of having two sets of wheels. one with relatively narrow road tires ~30 mm or less, and one set with larger 40+ mm tires with more aggressive tread. And even wide tires, of good ones, can roll pretty well on the road.
Old 04-23-24, 05:19 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 419 Posts
I was a little skeptical about the concept of “gravel” bikes, thinking that many of them seemed little more than old-school mountain bikes with drop bars attached to them. But I ended up putting one together for myself, and I am quite happy with it. I find it a smooth-riding, fast-pacing commuter, a long-haul bikepacking rig, and reaching the end of the pavement doesn’t mean I’ve reached the end of the ride.

A few things I would consider when putting together such a bike are the style of frame and wheel size. I chose a more conventional frame, as I like the style more, but a sloping top tube would make the bike a little easier to stand over and maneuver over rougher terrain. I installed 29” wheels on my bike, in hindsight, 27.5” might have been a better choice. Though I like the way the 29” wheels roll over the rough stuff, toe overlap has been an issue.

I am glad that I got a frame which has numerous places to mount bottles, racks, and accessories. I can remove the racks and accessories when commuting with the bike, but fit enough things to it to carry what I need for a weeklong adventure.
Old 04-23-24, 06:16 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 277 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, Gatorskins on any bike makes it a gravel bike that can ride on gravel.

Someone that is used to upright and then throws couple grand on a drop down to use for the first time on a planned outing is going to have a lousy time.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 04-23-24, 06:29 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,684 Times in 829 Posts
As a newly minted teenager in the early 70s, I rode the mostly unpaved Cook County Forest Preserve trails on a green 1960s Schwinn Sting Ray with a slick rear tire.

It looked just like this reproduction model.

Old 04-23-24, 06:33 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I live in the Chicago area, and yes it is FLAT!. And other than the DesPlaines river trail, which is under water 1/2 the year, there is no gravel roads or trails. I rode the Prarie Path, crushed limestone, for years on skinny sew-up tires, and that was 50 years ago when it was just starting to be developed. Lots of dirt, mud, and irregularities.

Now I ride the Green Bay Trail, mostly crushed limestone, on my old road bike with...skinny sew-up tires. No issues whatsoever. And they are nice and fast on the road.

Gearing, I find my low gear of 44/21 handles anything in a 50 mile radius and beyond. So a gravel bike with its ultra low gears is totally unnecessary in this area.

My recommendation, get an old steel road bike, glue on some skinny sew-ups, get some tall gearing, get out on Sheridan road....and ride like bloody hell !
Old 04-23-24, 06:40 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 262 Posts
A couple of things:

Put whatever width you want on the rims as long as the tires fit in your frame and give frame and brake clearance. For gearing you will need to count the number of teeth on your current gearing and compare that to whatever you are considering.

The best reason to buy a new bike is when you know exactly why your old bike is preventing you from doing what you want to do with it, and you know the new one will allow you to do what you want to do. Otherwise, any reason will suffice.LOL
Old 04-23-24, 07:43 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
they actually have less movement
Yeah, building a cantilevered house over a stream makes sense too...
Old 04-23-24, 10:48 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 178 Posts
I would begin with what your current ride does not do for you. Hard call as to what a gravel bike would bring to the party w/o knowing what's missing now. More riding positions from drop bars? Higher top speed? Lower weight? Handling?
Happy shopping!
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 04-23-24, 11:35 AM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
IMHO you do not need a new bike. The bike that you have is perfectly capable of doing every thing that you listed and then some. If you WANT a new bike though, a “Gravel” bike is a good choice. A mid range or even low end one is probably best. They are more comfortable than a racing “road bike”, lighter and faster than a MTB, more hand options and more “aero” than a hybrid. Most have chubby tires that are pretty cushiony. The lower-end ones might still have multi-clogged front chain rings that give a wider, more closely spaced set of gear ratios.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Likes For mr,grumpy:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.