Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Sources for short spokes

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Sources for short spokes

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 09:30 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Sources for short spokes

About to order spokes for a wheel build, but I'm realizing that all my regular spoke sources don't carry the 140-142mm spokes I need for this project. I guess the small wheel combined with the unusually large hub make for a spoke size that's not common enough to be carried by a lot of shops.

I may just have to have them cut, but, before I do, I thought I'd see if any other small-wheel builders have spoke sources they recommend.
Old 01-15-14, 09:43 AM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ordered from these guys:
https://www.newsonsportec.com/
some time ago, and the price/quality was good.
Old 01-15-14, 11:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
This guy caters to the BMX set's small wheels .. https://www.danscomp.com/

Phil Wood makes a production spoke threading shop tool and will make up spokes for your exact needs ..

they may even know what shop near you they shipped their tool to , to do It closer to you.

of course your Local shop can order a Box of 50... from their suppliers ..

"carried by" includes more than what they happen to have on hand,
when you walk in the door.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-15-14 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-15-14, 12:22 PM
Rob_E

Thanks, chagzuki, I may check out Newsonsportec, but I'm not crazy about the fact that it seems like I have to contact them for pricing for a very basic spoke. It looks like they specialize in flashy colors and neat designs. There might be builds in my future where that would be nice, but this isn't one of them.

What I'd like to find is what is what fietsbob mentions: a box of 50, pre-cut spokes, or fewer if they're sold individually. I know my local shop will cut spokes to my specifications, but it's much more expensive than buying pre-cut, and my experience there is that they'd rather cut spokes at a high mark-up than order a box from someone else.
Old 01-15-14, 01:04 PM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have you checked with Thor (https://www.thorusa.com/accessories/product10.htm)?

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 01-15-14, 01:13 PM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by HGR3inOK
Have you checked with Thor (https://www.thorusa.com/accessories/product10.htm)?

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
That was a good thought, and I should have thought to look there. Unfortunately nothing shorter than 180mm is listed.
Old 01-15-14, 01:33 PM
schocca

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have a look here (UK C H White website) -> I've put the link straight into the spoke spares section:
https://s442721994.e-shop.info/shop/c...aram=cid%3D%26
Old 01-15-14, 02:05 PM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by schocca
Have a look here (UK C H White website) -> I've put the link straight into the spoke spares section:
https://s442721994.e-shop.info/shop/c...aram=cid%3D%26
Nice. That may be the first place I've looked that has spokes even shorter than what I need. It doesn't have the size I need, but it's getting closer. I need to check out some other folding bike dealers to see if they also have spokes available.
Old 01-15-14, 03:31 PM
smallwheeler

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
hmm. what's wrong with this deal?

15.99usd

"DESCRIPTION......... You are purchasing a total of 40 custom cut and rethreaded 14g Silver stainless steel spokes. Cut and rethreaded to any length you need from 305mm down to 75mm in length. Again, just let me know what sizes you need when making your payment. It can be a mutiple amount of sizes, as most wheel sets can require up to 4 different lengths (depending on the lacing pattern). You are receiving spokes only. I also supply high quality colored alloy nipples that are sold in separate listings. Please check them out so you can have a truly beautiful wheelset."
Old 01-15-14, 03:39 PM
Rob_E

Thank you. There was a similar ebay offer for 36 spokes. I hate ordering the exact number of spokes I need. There's no room for me to screw one up and no provisions for a spare in the case of a break. Still, the other one I saw specified that they were using Wheelsmith spokes, which I like. If I had to get spokes cut, I was debating the Wheelsmith, eBay seller or my LBS. Now I have a 3rd option.
Old 01-16-14, 12:46 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Jay Gaerlan cuts custom spokes.
https://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/bike.html
I bought shorties for a 406 build from him about a year ago- fast service, reasonable price, you get to help a small business, and he uses 15g spokes rather than 14, so they bend a bit better for the crazy angles that small wheels are often prone to. He posts here from time to time, too.
Old 01-16-14, 10:58 AM
Rob_E

Cuts spokes for almost the same as what I pay for pre-cut (maybe less). Uses quality spokes. Has many other items available that I was planning on seeking out further down the road. I thank you for that one, and it may be the best solution, but I'm worried that, as reasonable as the prices are, that may end up being an expensive site to have bookmarked. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 01-16-14, 01:02 PM
bmac.to

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generally, there will be a well equipped bike store in your area that has a spoke cutting/threading machine. The other option I have used was buying spokes from Brompton - they have many sizes and the reason I did it was because they offered double-butted spokes in the length I needed which is impossible from all of these spoke cutting sources. Keep in mind their spokes come with nipples as well (they seem a bit pricey at first).

Finally, you can play around with the number of crossings to help open up your choices ...
Old 01-16-14, 02:52 PM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by bmac.to
Generally, there will be a well equipped bike store in your area that has a spoke cutting/threading machine. The other option I have used was buying spokes from Brompton - they have many sizes and the reason I did it was because they offered double-butted spokes in the length I needed which is impossible from all of these spoke cutting sources. Keep in mind their spokes come with nipples as well (they seem a bit pricey at first).

Finally, you can play around with the number of crossings to help open up your choices ...
Thanks. I do have a local shop with a spoke cutter. The last time I used them, I found their prices to be extremely high when compared to pre-cut, pre-packaged spokes, which is why wanted to find out where other small-wheel riders were getting their spokes. Although judging from some of the custom-cut sources I'm being referred to, it may just be that my LBS is pricier than normal when comes to custom-cut spokes.

Brompton looks promising except that I can't see pricing info, and they don't quite have my size. I could go a few mm shorter with a longer nipple, but that would negate any advantage that I would get from having the included nipples from Brompton, unless they have an option for using a longer nipple.

And, while it would be a good idea on many other builds, I have no flexibility in cross patterns. Large hub + small wheel means any more than 1 cross will put the spokes at too sharp an angle with the rim. And going radial would also be inadvisable, in addition to being unhelpful because it would send me looking for even shorter spokes. On another build, though, it would be worth looking into. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 01-16-14, 05:14 PM
kellymc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had a 16" wheel built up for my Tikit and we sourced the spokes from Phil, they were custom cut to the size we needed. The receipt is at home but the price was in line with off the shelf sizes.
Old 01-16-14, 05:53 PM
smallwheeler

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
this thread should be edited for relevance and archived!
Old 01-16-14, 07:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Hozan tool for a DIY shop is modestly priced..

LBS here just has that ,
makes up a couple for tourists down headed the coast , if stock is not having any exact matches..
Old 01-17-14, 10:20 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
About to order spokes for a wheel build, but I'm realizing that all my regular spoke sources don't carry the 140-142mm spokes I need for this project. I guess the small wheel combined with the unusually large hub make for a spoke size that's not common enough to be carried by a lot of shops.

I may just have to have them cut, but, before I do, I thought I'd see if any other small-wheel builders have spoke sources they recommend.
Dan's Comp has great prices. I've used them several times.
Old 01-20-14, 10:04 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if its not too many I can cut them
Old 01-21-14, 10:21 AM
Rob_E

Thanks, ThorUSA. I think, thanks to the replies, I have a good source for spokes and some other parts I'll be needing. I will be needing to head to ThorUSA once this thing gets rolling, though. You have the quick-release pedals I want as well as a few other odds and ends.
Old 01-22-14, 09:49 AM
mark03

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to show my ignorance here and ask: Are small-wheel builders stuck with non-butted spokes? Or are DT Alpine or similar available in short lengths? I imagine the weight savings is minimal, but they are said to be stronger than non-butted in the most common gauge.
Old 01-22-14, 11:28 AM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by mark03
I'm going to show my ignorance here and ask: Are small-wheel builders stuck with non-butted spokes? Or are DT Alpine or similar available in short lengths? I imagine the weight savings is minimal, but they are said to be stronger than non-butted in the most common gauge.
I do believe that the https://www.gaerlan.com/ site mentioned above was offering double-butted, short spokes, but unfortunately the site seems to have gone off-line in the last couple of days.

On the whole, I don't worry about double butted when using shorter spokes. I'll take it if I can get it, but but I feel like there's only so much flex you can have with a short spoke. Double butted may be stronger when substituted for a similarly-sized straight gauge spoke, but I figure that as the spoke gets shorter, its ability to flex also goes down, regardless of gauge. If memory serves, my full-sized wheel is using straight gauge because the spokes are short compared to other 700c wheel builds, and double butted was hard to find in my preferred spoke. I'm pretty sure that the wheel was built other times with double-butted, but was never as solid as it is now. It was the right spoke in the right pattern that made for a strong wheel. I will take double butted when I can, but without really understanding the physics behind it, I feel like there have to be diminishing returns on the benefits of double butted spokes as the spoke lengths go down.

So, while I don't think you're stuck with straight gauge, I do think double butted is more rare in smaller sizes. But I'm not sure that it makes a huge difference with wheel strength.
Old 01-23-14, 10:03 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
I do believe that the https://www.gaerlan.com/ site mentioned above was offering double-butted, short spokes, but unfortunately the site seems to have gone off-line in the last couple of days.

I will take double butted when I can, but without really understanding the physics behind it, I feel like there have to be diminishing returns on the benefits of double butted spokes as the spoke lengths go down.
Whoa, you`re right! It says his website "expired" on 01/15, the same day that I posted the link. I wonder if he retired? FWIW, the spokes I bought from him are single butted- 14g at the elbow and about an inch after, then 15g for the remainder.

My thoughts on the butting too, and I don`t know the math or physics to confirm either.
Old 01-29-14, 09:39 AM
bmac.to

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only company that advertises that they make short, double-butted spokes is Sapim. Saying you make them, and actually making them are two different things though - I have never found a dealer who can get the short double-butted spokes from Sapim. I assume they only make them if there is enough demand.

BTW, all of the Brompton double-butted spokes are Sapim (Brompton demands them, Sapim makes them).
Old 01-29-14, 10:12 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmac.to
The only company that advertises that they make short, double-butted spokes is Sapim. Saying you make them, and actually making them are two different things though - I have never found a dealer who can get the short double-butted spokes from Sapim. I assume they only make them if there is enough demand.

BTW, all of the Brompton double-butted spokes are Sapim (Brompton demands them, Sapim makes them).
I have Sapim CXRay's, Laser,Race,Leader .... most in Black and Silver.....usually we start at 180 mm, but I can cut shorter lengths as well ( no extra charge for that )
Thanks Thor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.