Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What V Brakes with shimano 5800 levers?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 12:00 PM
Slowridr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm going to build up a Surly CC with drop bars. 105 5800 levers. I was first thinking of getting canti brakes but after going through all these threads, maybe I should get mini v brakes. I won't be riding in mud or wet conditions to often or even at all. I don't race and I don't need superior stopping power. I am just looking for something that works good and is easy enough to setup. I do get a little worried about reading that mini v brakes need to be setup really close to the rim? How close are we talking?

What brakes should I get? Im a little confused with the arm length. It looks like I can still get some cx8.4 or cx9 on ebay. Any other options or should I just stick with Cantis?

Thanks
Old 01-30-22, 07:30 PM
SquishyBiker

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Circa (Rd Dist), 2020 Giant Toughroad (Rd Tour), 2021 Trek Allant+ 8S (eCommute), 2021 Scott Aspect 940 (Mt HT), 2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29er (Mt FS), 2022 Scott Spark 960 (Mt FS)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
I ran a BMX length v-brake on my canti CX bike 8 years ago - brutal braking performance considering the short pull of the road levers, no rim clearance issues, but I did have to watch the tire height clearance.
Old 01-30-22, 08:19 PM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
I have a set of Tektro RX6 mini-v's on my New Albion Privateer and they work great. I currently run 700x38 but I think they'd easily handle fatter tires.
Old 01-31-22, 09:01 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
The TRP CX9 works with Shimano levers. I think the slightly shorter CX8.4 works better with SRAM/Campy levers.

I used the CX9 with 5700 105 levers on my old CX bike and they worked pretty good. The brake feel is a little mushy, but they are way more powerful than traditional cantilevers. They do have to be run really close to the rim and I had to frequently adjust them to prevent rubbing, but as long as your wheels are true it won't be an issue.

I eventually switched to Avid Shorty Ultimates, which also work great but have a lot more mud clearance.
Old 01-31-22, 11:14 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
I tried to like mini Vs. They were the TRP whatever for Shimano and I used non-compression housing. They seemed grabby but they would surely stop the bike. Clearance was the issue. I couldn't set them up to clear an inflated 38mm tire. I'm now using some Cane Creek cantis with KoolStop pads and they feel almost as good as a caliper brake. If you decide to try the mini Vs, shop around because prices for the TRPs vary quite a bit.
Old 01-31-22, 01:12 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I presume 5800s are road levers? You need to match the cable pull. Road levers are short-pull, and so are traditional cantis; while V-Brakes are long pull.If you're looking at mini-vees, check the amount of pull they require.
Old 01-31-22, 02:01 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
V-brakes for long pull / mountain levers have arms that are usually about 105-110mm long (or something like that). For short pull road levers, shorter V's are a must - like the TRP CX 8.4 (with 84mm long arms), for instance. I had the TRP CX 9 (90mm) long on my road bike and they were a bit too powerful / grabby, and you had to run the pads pretty close to the rim. I switched to Paul MiniMotos (81mm long arms) and they are better. Campy levers, I should note.

Another option (but probably not for the OP) is to use drop bar levers that are long pull. one example: https://www.modernbike.com/cane-cree...l-brake-silver
Old 01-31-22, 02:08 PM
Slowridr

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the cx 8.4. I found more support for the 8.4 then the 9.0 for the newer shimano levers. They seem to not have the clearance issue and stopping is good/adequate. I'll let you know how they work out

Thanks
Old 01-31-22, 02:15 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
FWIW, it looks like TRP only sells the CX8.4 now. The CX9's are all over Ebay/Amazon though, just not listed on the TRP website.

And yes, these "mini-V"s are intended for use with shorter pull road levers, not to be confused with regular V brakes that require MTB or BMX levers that pull more cable. The shorter the arm, the less power, but also the less cable that needs to be pulled.

There is also a product out there that acts as a pully to allow road levers to pull more cable. This would allow any MTB V brake to be used with road levers. Not sure how well it works in real life, but the theory makes sense:
https://www.benscycle.com/problem-so...MaAo_wEALw_wcB
Old 01-31-22, 03:14 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowridr
I went ahead and ordered the cx 8.4. I found more support for the 8.4 then the 9.0 for the newer shimano levers. They seem to not have the clearance issue and stopping is good/adequate. I'll let you know how they work out

Thanks
They will work great.
Old 02-01-22, 01:08 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
FWIW, it looks like TRP only sells the CX8.4 now. The CX9's are all over Ebay/Amazon though, just not listed on the TRP website.

And yes, these "mini-V"s are intended for use with shorter pull road levers, not to be confused with regular V brakes that require MTB or BMX levers that pull more cable. The shorter the arm, the less power, but also the less cable that needs to be pulled.

There is also a product out there that acts as a pully to allow road levers to pull more cable. This would allow any MTB V brake to be used with road levers. Not sure how well it works in real life, but the theory makes sense:
https://www.benscycle.com/problem-so...MaAo_wEALw_wcB
Poblem Solvers' Travel Agents work very well. My wife's bike has over 26,000 miles on a pair I put on her bike 10 years ago, and has not had any problems with them. I also used Avid Single Digit 7 brakes. I really didn't trust the Travel Agents so I bought an extra pair for replacements. They are still in my parts bin, and I may put them on one of my bikes in the future

Last edited by Doug64; 02-01-22 at 01:13 PM.
Likes For Doug64: