Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pinarello Dogma F12 max tyre clearance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-22, 01:44 AM
ivipopi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I have Dogma F12 and Im planning to go for holidays with the bike. There will be sometimes also upaved roads. Thatswhy I would like to put on the widest gravel tyres possible on my rims. I measured the distance at the level of the current hightt of the tyre (I know its not accurate as thicker tyre will be also higher), and there is 45mm space.

Do someone have personal experience how wide tyre will fit?

Thank you for your answers
Old 06-07-22, 06:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
You're in a good position to answer this yourself.

In general, tire/bike manufacturers are looking for minimum of 4mm of clearance on each side. For the width, this gives you a Width As Mounted of ~37mm, though you may want to go smaller if you think extra clearance, for mud or chunky debris, will be necessary. For the tire crown or height, you could do some measuring for the Radius As Mounted or just have faith that Pinarello gave clearance there that's appropriate given the width provided.

For the tires: real world sizing is going to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and will be influenced by the rim upon which they're mounted. You obviously want to know the wheel size and you also want to know the internal rim width. Armed with these figures, some forward-thinking tire manufacturers are providing buyers with WAM/RAM specs. If you really want to be sure that you're maximizing your clearance, look for a manufacturer that provides these specs and go to town.
Old 06-07-22, 06:39 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I considered but did not buy one. No chance to test a 59.5 cm around here

It is designed for 28 mm width tires but 30mm true width should be no problem. OTOH, 32mm would give you around 2-3 mm to the fork tube on each side, assuming there was not a problem at the crown. Looking at pictures, I wasn't sure at the time 32mm would work but thought it might.
Old 06-21-22, 01:12 PM
ivipopi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried Schwalbe Racing Ralph (bought maybe 10 years ago) 622-35 and there was smal contact (I havent measured real width) and I thing it was more than 35mm

Then I tried other model: Schwalbe Marathon 622-32 and the real thicknes on the rim was 29.8mm and there was plenty space.

I will try other model 622-35 and I will let know. I think that real 32-33mm would fit perfectly.