Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Usefullness of Campagnolo toe clip guides

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Usefullness of Campagnolo toe clip guides

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-13, 05:50 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I think it's sort of a muscle memory thing. I'm sure you will get better with more practice. I haven't used clips regularly since I switched to clipless in the mid-80s, so I'd probably fumble with my feet for a while, too.

My only advice: Practice track stands so you don't have to worry about fussing with the clips & straps at each traffic light.
I pretty much perfected my clipped/strapped pedal ingress/egress with cleated racing shoes by the mid 80's. It was in and out of the pedals in a couple of seconds with the quick pull of tha strap button or the flick of the buckle end by then without taking my eyes off the road.......I felt quite proud that I was was able to perfect it......but then, Look suddenly came out with clipless pedals for the masses..,.....All that effort for nuttin!! ARRRRGH!!!
Old 04-20-17, 04:09 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
That's a great tip. Going to have to look for some of that stuff. Plus, those plastic soled Dettos I have can be slippery as heck.

My toes just touch my toe clips too. I suppose that if I wanted to adjust a bit I could easily make a simple aluminum spacer to go between the pedal cage and toe clip.
x2. great tip. Thanks
Old 04-20-17, 04:19 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 491 Posts
What kind of straps are you using. I find nylon or really thin leather straps to be a PITA because they're not stiff enough to hold their position so they twist and the buckle gets dragged in with your shoe whenever getting into them. You need quality heavy duty leather straps. Other than that, it's just a matter of practice. I've been doing it so long that I can get into my clips/straps without looking faster than my buddies can clip into their clipless pedals. It helps to point your toe somewhat downwards so that you don't have to flip the pedal up so far.

Edit: Oh, and I got rid of my cleats long ago. I don't race and they provide almost no advantage in casual riding. I also don't tighten down the straps any more...mildly snug is the setting.

Last edited by davester; 04-20-17 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-20-17, 04:32 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
... and do you prefer the 1/2 twist in the cage to keep it from moving?
Or full twist with the buckle down low
Old 04-21-17, 04:42 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by balindamood
Like Road fan, I only ever use the cleats for actual racing or times when I am not going to be in and out of the pedals a lot. 95% of the time, I use shoes without cleats without a hassle.
I actually never use cleats. I said they were needed for secure pedaling, but I have never felt the need to secure my feet to the pedal. I've also been lucky (I guess) enough to have never (at least don't recall) having my feet fall out of the toe clips. Nor have I had my feet trapped!

I tried cleats briefly many years ago (Nashbar $10 deal on Detto shoes!) but never warmed up to them.
Old 04-21-17, 06:35 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Cleats were never for secure pedaling, they were to allow power to be applied throughout the stroke, same as clipless today. Mostly helpful in climbing and sprinting. If you didn't have them, you would have been dropped on the first hill of a club training ride or a race. If you aren't a racer, it doesn't matter.

The tabs make it easier for sure, but it's also possible to get used to flipping in without them. As was pointed out, the campy ones are for the inside of the cage - different purpose. Campy pedals already have flip tabs.

FWIW, one can make a very effective DIY flip tab with a small nut and bolt, a couple washers, and a spare presta valve cover.

I always used the full twist method of keeping the strap in place. Might take a bit of tweaking every few thousand miles, but it more or less works. Binda regular (not extra) were always the best straps IMO. They were plain thick leather. The nylon insert of the 'Extra' was counterproductive.