Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chain skipping, rear derailleur adjustment problem.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Chain skipping, rear derailleur adjustment problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-17, 05:10 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Whenever my chain skipped I replaced the freewheel and chain with new. So far I haven't had any success with and old freewheel / new chain or old chain / new freewheel combo's.
Old 06-04-17, 11:36 PM
carbomb

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Definitely get a new freewheel on there just to test it out. When I had the same issue the freewheel looked good to myself (just like yours) and the mechanics, but we tried it just for the hell of it and sure enough, no more skipping.
Old 06-05-17, 06:00 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Almost certainly the cog that skips is worn out. That is the typical symptom. Most likely this is the result of some dufus riding small/small all the time.

It is normal to not see any obvious wear. Visually a worn cog it is extremely subtle. As has been pointed out, the correct fix would be a new cog from the cog board. As it is no longer 1979, good luck finding one. That leaves a new freewheel as the only option. You might try moving the wheel back in the dropouts a bit as a bandaid.

Also, did you measure your allegedly NOS chain? The old ROT was always use a new chain with a new freewheel. A freewheel might last for 2-3 chains if not abused by riding in one cog all the time.

One more thing, 600 arabesque (and the Dura Ace RD of then) where somewhat prone to skipping. Yeah, it's true. Sorry Shimano heads. So your mech is at least partly correct. You may want to try a different chain length to tweak the angle a bit.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 06-05-17 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-05-17, 08:31 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
PS
I agree that the derailleur hanger looks misaligned. If it's visibly crooked, it's probably way off. It's possible it needs more limit screw also. New mechanics aren't used to adjusting friction shift. Modern RD with their built in jockey wheel play and indexing let you be pretty sloppy. With friction shift, you have to get the limit screws just right. Use as much limit as possible so that it goes easily into gear, but not enough to allow the chain to go off.