Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

130 mm rear drop-out - freewheel ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 05:09 PM
keidal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Can anyone please tell me if a 130 mm rear hub will take a 7 speed freewheel, or an 8 speed freewheel if Italy's Regina etc. made them ? I'm presuming that 130 mm drop-outs were used in the 1980's - 1990's period ?
If this is possible, will say, a Campagnolo Super / Nuovo Record down tube shifter cater for all these sprockets, or would a 6 speed freewheel be the maximum ?
Old 05-01-17, 11:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
You could do it but you really don't want to. That makes for a very long distance from the right-side hub bearings to the right dropout. Result? The hub axle will break on a regular basis at the bearings. (Not a ride ender -as long as you do not open the quick-release! If you do, your hub bearings will spill out.)

Historically, I think things progressed as follows: hubs went to 126 for 6-speed. SunTour started making Ultra 6s that used 5-speed spacing, then Ultra 7s that used 6 speed spacing. 8-speed freewheels came out and 130 spacing was used to accommodate it. 8-speed cassettes happened soon after, I suspect driven by the axle failures in freewheel hubs. (I never got past 7-speed and jumped to 9-speed.)

I haven't heard many success stories with freewheels and 130 spacing. (A Cyclone MK-II should shift it OK, it did flawlessly for my 9-speed.)

Ben
Old 05-02-17, 01:30 AM
keidal

Thank you for this explanation.
If I used a 5 or 6 speed freewheel, would the same possibility of axle breakage still be a problem or do I have to accept that a cassette is the real deal please ?
I've no experience of cassettes, being in the 80 year old age band, but I do have some braze-on type Campagnolo Nuovo Record shifters, which I'd like to use. 10 speeds would be more than sufficient for my use !
I really appreciate all this help and advice.
Old 05-02-17, 06:42 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Sachs made very nice 7 & 8 speed Aris freewheels, which came with different spacers for either Shimano or Campagnolo indexed shifiting.

Sachs Aris freewheel 8 speed | eBay

Sachs Aris freewheel 7 speed | eBay

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-02-17, 07:02 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by keidal
If I used a 5 or 6 speed freewheel, would the same possibility of axle breakage still be a problem or do I have to accept that a cassette is the real deal please ?
No, the issue is that the more cogs you pile onto the freewheel, the longer the unsupported section of hub axle protrudes beyond the drive side bearing. This acts as a lever to flex the axle; the longer the unsupported section, the more leverage to bend the axle. This continued flex permanently bends, and often eventually breaks the axle. Heavy riders and rough roads exacerbate this problem. This is why modern hubs use freehubs and cassettes instead of freewheels, as the freehub design allows the drive side bearing to be placed further outboard than is possible with a freewheel hub, minimizing the unsupported section of axle between the bearing and the dropout.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 05-02-17 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-02-17, 08:05 AM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Thank you for this explanation.
I've no experience of cassettes, being in the 80 year old age band, but I do have some braze-on type Campagnolo Nuovo Record shifters, which I'd like to use. 10 speeds would be more than sufficient for my use !
I really appreciate all this help and advice.
I picked up a pinarello from a triathlete who had it set with an 8 speed free hub. Spacing is 130, hub is mavic. I'm guessing durability would depend on your weight and riding style. I'm converting a 7 speed setup to 8 for my son. He's less than 60lbs. What little experience I have with free hubs makes me prefer cassettes.
Old 05-02-17, 08:24 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
To the original poster's question, there were several brands of 130mm road hubs in the early-mid 1990's that were specifically designed with 8 speed freewheels in mind. Regina made them as did Sachs/Maillard. During that time period, Sachs was a holdout with the freewheel-as opposed to cassette-format for their road groups. While it makes for a lot of unsupported axle on the drive side, the Sachs New Success setup that I had in that era-and still have on a bike today-was dead reliable with a beefy spacer to reinforce the axle.
Old 05-02-17, 09:26 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
My Bianchi (ca. 1980) came with a standard 6-speed Regina America freewheel on an Ofmega hub with a 126mm overlock Campag. axle, which I have broken once already.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-02-17, 09:28 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i've have ridden thousands of miles using an American Classic freewheel hub (circa 1995) and 7 and 8 speed freewheels. no problem. i was touring, with a load. BTW, i weighed about 170 at the time.

anyway, problems are not necessarily guaranteed WRT to the bent axle problem.
Old 05-02-17, 05:17 PM
keidal

I'm considering using a 5 or 6 speed Regina freewheel, with a double chainwheel and this should give this doddery 80+ old geezer sufficient gears to ride around and get some exercise - wouldn't you agree ?
Thank you for all your comments.
Old 05-02-17, 07:05 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm considering using a 5 or 6 speed Regina freewheel, with a double chainwheel and this should give this doddery 80+ old geezer sufficient gears to ride around and get some exercise - wouldn't you agree ?
Thank you for all your comments.
In answer to your question - Absolutely!
If you have 130mm spacing on your frame though and 121 or 126mm spacing for your wheel, I'd suggest a cold set to narrow the spacing on the frame.
If the levers are friction then all good if they're indexed, someone here can advise on set up with your chosen freewheel.
Well done for getting out on the bike, nice way to get around.
Old 05-03-17, 12:08 AM
SteelCharlie

Bikes: Caylor, Basso, Sannino, Colnago, Masi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Raleigh
In answer to your question - Absolutely!
If you have 130mm spacing on your frame though and 121 or 126mm spacing for your wheel, I'd suggest a cold set to narrow the spacing on the frame.
If the levers are friction then all good if they're indexed, someone here can advise on set up with your chosen freewheel.
Well done for getting out on the bike, nice way to get around.
YES! That is only 4mm (2mm/side) to get to a standard 6gear spacing and a setup for all intents and purposes devoid of trouble. The cold set and properly re-aligned dropouts should cost way less than putzing around with trying to make something else work as well. The only downside is that most of the children pretending to be bike mech's these days may not have a clue about cold setting so chose carefully.
Old 05-03-17, 12:44 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
your 130mm freewheel hub will accept 5,6,7, and probably 8 speed freewheels and fit your frame. and just about any non-indexed friction shifter will work.

BTW, it's the OLD of the hub that must fit the frame. the freewheel's width or number of cogs is unimportant. that only comes into play WRT chainline for non-indexed friction shifters. and even then a simple spacer put on before the freewheel is threaded on can account for any discrepancies caused by a too narrow freewheel.
Old 05-03-17, 12:47 AM
keidal

Thank you for your encouragement. I'm restoring a 1990 Colnago Superissimo frame, which the previous Italian owner had [disgracefully in my opinion] allow it to become virtually useless and had repainted it maroon, on top of the bright pink original paint. The only savior being that the thick gooey varnish he'd put on top, had also been sprayed on the chrome front lugs and saved them from rusting.
I've tried using paint strippers - useless and butane burning the awkward bits - hopeless, so I'm back to scraping all the paint off by hand and that bottom bracket is a real fiddly job !
My first bike after WW2 was a new green Raleigh Lenton, since when, I've been restoring bicycles from the UK, USA, France and Italy, probably well over one hundred. I'm not really familiar with the modern technology and engineering, so I'm guessing that "indexing" is something to do with gear changing via the brake lever.
I'd prefer to use the down-tube bosses and if possible use either Campagnolo Super Record shifters or whatever followed - was it C Record ? However, I've a soft spot for Gipiemme, which I've read was used on Colnago frames, so I might save a few quid and go with that option !
I can't put photos on here, I've tried in the past with no success being a computer / PC / modern electronics nerd, but if anyone cares to do it for me, my email address is oldlampman@oldlampman.karoo.co.uk
I used to restore old UK railway lamps and USA railroad lanterns as well !
Thanks once more for all your help.
Keith