Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1970s Schwinn Continental

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-17, 02:17 PM
catrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I just got this bike from a friend that was graduating and didn't want it any more. The bike was definitely originally geared, but has since been turned into a fixed gear bike with some good wheels and tires.
After a few google searches I found out the bike was made some time in the 70s but can't tell exactly what year it's from. Would it be possible to still find parts anywhere that would work with this bike? I want to change a few things like the handle bar, saddle (maybe even the post) and the brakes. The cabling for the back brake also needs to be replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170605_191651-min.jpg (98.1 KB, 114 views)
IMG_20170605_191700-min.jpg (97.4 KB, 113 views)
IMG_20170605_191713-min.jpg (92.4 KB, 112 views)
IMG_20170605_191725-min.jpg (97.9 KB, 112 views)
IMG_20170605_191742-min.jpg (97.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 06-06-17, 02:44 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I believe that's a 1973 model, the serial number will be on the base of the head tube (below the badge) and will indicate the month and year it was stamped. There are many new and used parts available that will fit. Search the forum for Schwinn Varsity Continental upgrade and you'll find a lot of good information on what parts are available to fit.
Old 06-06-17, 11:52 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

But honestly, rather than getting a bunch of new parts to upgrade an extremely heavy, (yes, durable), low end bike -- why not spend the money on a bike you'll really enjoy riding? Something about 12-14 lbs lighter.

Continentals have their place, I'll grant you, but perhaps their highest purpose is merely to be a flat-land-only single speed, as currently configured. Don't waste your time and money on it, sending it back to original. Almost any bike is better for actual riding than this one.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 06-07-17, 03:22 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 940 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

But honestly, rather than getting a bunch of new parts to upgrade an extremely heavy, (yes, durable), low end bike -- why not spend the money on a bike you'll really enjoy riding? Something about 12-14 lbs lighter.

Continentals have their place, I'll grant you, but perhaps their highest purpose is merely to be a flat-land-only single speed, as currently configured. Don't waste your time and money on it, sending it back to original. Almost any bike is better for actual riding than this one.
Though the advice offered above sounds harsh, it is very good advice to consider, in my opinion.

I built an entire website because I realized, early in my vintage bicycle career(lack of a better word comes not to mind this early in the morning), that people new to the interest can, and do, make some glaring mistakes that prove costly and frustrating.

So, learn a bit about Vintage Bicycle Quality and then how to go about Finding A Vintage Bicycle for minimal cash outlay. You will be glad you did, unless you get a case of N+1itis.
Old 06-07-17, 10:59 AM
ApolloSoyuz1975

Bikes: Cannondale SR400 (3.0). Phat t00bs!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Welcome to the forums.

On the plus side, the prev. owner did a huge favor by changing out the wheel set!

O/P, I recommend looking up a bicycle co-op in your area and consult with them w/ regards to new brake cabling and/or some decent, used Al-alloy handlebars. Your Connie won't be a racer, but she can be a decent runabout/bar bike. Best of luck
Old 06-07-17, 12:14 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
If you have a boat, those make great anchors.
Old 06-07-17, 03:25 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
When the planet splodes.....
Old 06-07-17, 04:45 PM
catrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metacortex
I believe that's a 1973 model, the serial number will be on the base of the head tube (below the badge) and will indicate the month and year it was stamped. There are many new and used parts available that will fit. Search the forum for Schwinn Varsity Continental upgrade and you'll find a lot of good information on what parts are available to fit.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Welcome to the forums.

It is definitely uncomfortably heavy and is kind of annoying on steep climbs and downhills which I try to avoid. I'm a student at college and really need a bike to get around and this is all I have right now, so I figured why not spend a little money on it to make the ride a bit more comfortable
Old 06-07-17, 04:51 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by catrider
Thank you!

It is definitely uncomfortably heavy and is kind of annoying on steep climbs and downhills which I try to avoid. I'm a student at college and really need a bike to get around and this is all I have right now, so I figured why not spend a little money on it to make the ride a bit more comfortable
You could spend a small fortune on that Bike and it will never be a climber or a good downhill rider. Save that money for something else.
Old 06-07-17, 05:09 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I dunno but that bike probably has good market value as is. I would offer it up on CL and start studying up on what kind of bike to look for as a replacement. randyjawa's tips and links are an excellent start, also to assess how much refurbishment and modification you are willing to take on yourself vs hiring a shop to do. If you have a bike co-op in your area, that should be an excellent resource for assistance of all kinds, parts and maybe even a complete bike.
Old 06-07-17, 05:10 PM
ecnewell 

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Rx 1.0, 1990 Cannondale ST400, 1981 Fredy Rüegg, 1984 Miyata One-Thousand

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you!

Welcome! It is easy to get attached to a bike - i think we've all been there - and there's nothing wrong with holding on to this one and riding it when the fancy strikes you. But I agree, if you want to spend a little money and end up with a lighter, more comfortable ride, your best bet is to spend it on another bike. Good luck!
Old 06-07-17, 05:21 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you!

If you enjoy fixing it and it's a bit heavy so what. People have ridden heavier bikes longer distances for sure. It's old and affordable have some fun and ride accordingly.
Old 06-07-17, 08:22 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Thank you!

Our usual advice here is check craigslist daily and snag the first screaming deal (in your size) that you find. I regularly snap up nice old bikes for the price of a new pair of tires. Also, check out whatever college town marketplaces online and otherwise for deals. How many grads are ditching their old campus rides this time of year?
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●