Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-24, 06:48 PM
RMTBaiden

Bikes: Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Which Bike?

There are to bicycles I am currently thinking about buying at this moment. Both are gravel, but two different brands and price range. The first bike the caught my eye is the Trek FX Sport 9. This bike was shown to me by Trek's bicycle picker thing. The second bike is the Marin Kentfield 2. I think I came across this bike browsing there site. The only thing I've heard about Trek is that they are too popular, and I haven't researched Marin. If anyone has one or both bikes I would love to hear the pros and cons, or just general opinions.
Old 01-29-24, 07:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
I don't see a Trek FX Sport 9 listed anywhere I have seen the FX6 and in general the parts are decent 11 speed parts but the frame and fork use a very odd sizing for the wheels and their silly thru-skew which is not a thru axle and not a quick release which is dumb as those are the two commonly used wheel holding standards for most bikes (you also have bolt on but less common on carbon) If something happens and there is no Trek dealer around you are potentially SOL for putting that wheel back in. Plus with the Trek you are paying a little extra for their logo.

The Kentfield is a low initial cost hybrid, the AdventX is decent but it only carries through derailleur and shifter and the cranks are cheapies. The brakes are no-name and the frame and fork are average and a huge step down from the carbon Trek. Not a terrible bike but not one that excites me.

If I was going for a flat bar Marin that wasn't a custom build (we did a custom build carbon gravel flat bar frame for someone at my shop) it would be this bike:
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2024-larkspur-2
Nice wide tires, comfortable and upright steel frame and fork that is easy to ride (step throughs are awesome for anyone but especially anyone with male genitalia), decent Shimano drivetrain and hydraulic brakes. Plus it has a dropper post for those times you want to go off gravel a little or have an easier time getting on and off the bike. It is a sweet bike for the price.

Or I would look at the Kona Dr. Dew which is also steel but has 12 speed Deore and some nicer parts all around.
https://www.konaworld.com/products/dr-dew-1

If you like the Carbon then the new Specialized is pretty unique but decently spec'd:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/si...=322033-200214
Plus in stark constrast to Trek they are doing a lot more minimalistic branding so while you are paying for Specialized quality and support you aren't having to put a bunch of extra money for a logo. Not saying they aren't maybe a little higher priced than needed but not by crazy amounts and they have really excellent support so it pays off.

I would also potentially look at the Diverge EVO which is/was their sort of higher end flatbar gravel bike in aluminum and maybe they had a carbon frame in the line up when it first came out but I cannot recall.

Or if you want Marin again in Aluminum the DSX 3 would be the choice:
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2024-dsx-3

However in the end the big key is going out and test riding these bikes. Find one that fits you well and you are comfortable on for the test riding blocking out the saddle, grips and pedals as those are irrelevant for a test ride and tell you nothing about the bike and at least grip and pedal wise would be replaced right away (unless they came with Ergon grips from the factory). Saddles are something I tell people to adjust and ride for some longer rides and get used to it before you get rid of it but pedals that come on bikes are cheapie test ride pedals and grips usually aren't Ergon and Ergon is the way to go.
Old 01-30-24, 08:14 AM
RMTBaiden

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I don't see a Trek FX Sport 9 listed anywhere I have seen the FX6 and in general the parts are decent 11 speed parts but the frame and fork use a very odd sizing for the wheels and their silly thru-skew which is not a thru axle and not a quick release which is dumb as those are the two commonly used wheel holding standards for most bikes (you also have bolt on but less common on carbon) If something happens and there is no Trek dealer around you are potentially SOL for putting that wheel back in. Plus with the Trek you are paying a little extra for their logo.

The Kentfield is a low initial cost hybrid, the AdventX is decent but it only carries through derailleur and shifter and the cranks are cheapies. The brakes are no-name and the frame and fork are average and a huge step down from the carbon Trek. Not a terrible bike but not one that excites me.

If I was going for a flat bar Marin that wasn't a custom build (we did a custom build carbon gravel flat bar frame for someone at my shop) it would be this bike:
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2024-larkspur-2
Nice wide tires, comfortable and upright steel frame and fork that is easy to ride (step throughs are awesome for anyone but especially anyone with male genitalia), decent Shimano drivetrain and hydraulic brakes. Plus it has a dropper post for those times you want to go off gravel a little or have an easier time getting on and off the bike. It is a sweet bike for the price.

Or I would look at the Kona Dr. Dew which is also steel but has 12 speed Deore and some nicer parts all around.
https://www.konaworld.com/products/dr-dew-1

If you like the Carbon then the new Specialized is pretty unique but decently spec'd:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/si...=322033-200214
Plus in stark constrast to Trek they are doing a lot more minimalistic branding so while you are paying for Specialized quality and support you aren't having to put a bunch of extra money for a logo. Not saying they aren't maybe a little higher priced than needed but not by crazy amounts and they have really excellent support so it pays off.

I would also potentially look at the Diverge EVO which is/was their sort of higher end flatbar gravel bike in aluminum and maybe they had a carbon frame in the line up when it first came out but I cannot recall.

Or if you want Marin again in Aluminum the DSX 3 would be the choice:
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2024-dsx-3

However in the end the big key is going out and test riding these bikes. Find one that fits you well and you are comfortable on for the test riding blocking out the saddle, grips and pedals as those are irrelevant for a test ride and tell you nothing about the bike and at least grip and pedal wise would be replaced right away (unless they came with Ergon grips from the factory). Saddles are something I tell people to adjust and ride for some longer rides and get used to it before you get rid of it but pedals that come on bikes are cheapie test ride pedals and grips usually aren't Ergon and Ergon is the way to go.
Thanks for your review. I will for sure check out the bikes you reccomanded. I was typing the post and didn't feel like double checking on the FX Sport, but when I wrote it out it FX Sport 9 didnt sound right, and yes paying for the logo. That's one thing I mostly hear about Trek. Is that they are too popular and its mostly the brand. Thanks for this reply!
Likes For RMTBaiden:
Old 01-30-24, 05:40 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by RMTBaiden
Thanks for your review. I will for sure check out the bikes you reccomanded. I was typing the post and didn't feel like double checking on the FX Sport, but when I wrote it out it FX Sport 9 didnt sound right, and yes paying for the logo. That's one thing I mostly hear about Trek. Is that they are too popular and its mostly the brand. Thanks for this reply!
part owner of a Trek dealer here. You’re not paying a premium for the Trek brand, you’re getting economies of scale. (Giant is really good at this). Trek gives a lot of bang for the buck. And I think their warranty handling is above industry average. You’ll hear some horror stories, but that’s expected for one of the industry’s top sellers. Finally, you’re looking at entry level bikes, and there’s not a whole lot of differentiation at these price points. At this level, shop for a bike shop, not a bike. What dealers spend the time and effort to make sure you’re properly fitted for the bike you buy? Which dealer will more readily swap parts ( for a nominal fee) for something you don’t like, like the saddle or grips? The disparity in customer service between shops can be immense.
Old 01-30-24, 06:04 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
My recommendation is to not buy bikes by brand. No idea about where you live according to your profile, but i\f you are bike shopping at several shops, don't be afraid to look at "off" brands, the ones that are not mainsteam. I have nothing against the big companies. They all make good products, but most of them charge more
Old 01-30-24, 09:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
They are a very popular brand, people will literally call and ask for a Trek not a bicycle and Trek is known for buying out various IBDs (independent bicycle dealers) and turning them into pure Trek stores and the ones that do not do well they will keep open to get their name out. It is not a smart practice in general for a business to lose significant money like that to keep a store open but it gets their name out there in a big way and cuts out IBDs so they control what is sold.

Plus Trek is well known for buying out brands and killing them, they did it to Klein, Gary Fisher, Lemond, and Bontrager to a degree (though they kept Keith on and they brand all of their parts Bontrager but his awesome bikes are gone). They are a big corporation, that is what happens in that world. In the end though they make a decent product and they do support it so it is not like it is totally all bad but they do things that aren't some people's cup of tea.

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
part owner of a Trek dealer here. You’re not paying a premium for the Trek brand, you’re getting economies of scale. (Giant is really good at this). Trek gives a lot of bang for the buck. And I think their warranty handling is above industry average. You’ll hear some horror stories, but that’s expected for one of the industry’s top sellers. Finally, you’re looking at entry level bikes, and there’s not a whole lot of differentiation at these price points. At this level, shop for a bike shop, not a bike. What dealers spend the time and effort to make sure you’re properly fitted for the bike you buy? Which dealer will more readily swap parts ( for a nominal fee) for something you don’t like, like the saddle or grips? The disparity in customer service between shops can be immense.
I know you are in it all the way and cannot really talk bad about your brand.. However if you look at say the Gazelle Medeo T9 vs the Trek Verve 2+ which I did a couple years ago the Trek was more expensive with a lower tier motor, no frame lock and a 2a charger vs the Medeo which is $550 cheaper (or a little less than $100 if not on sale) had a one tier higher motor, frame lock, suspension fork and a 4a charger standard?

You do pay a premium for that logo in this case and others. There is no way you don't. Both of those bikes are pretty similar in other parts and the Trek is more expensive by a lot if you factor in everything else the Gazelle has that Trek doesn't, even without the sale price. Certainly there are plenty of Treks that are similarly priced to other stuff so it is not always across the board but it is a real thing like it or not.

The other stuff said is true and certainly like Specialized and a few others they do have a lifetime warranty on their frames and forks which is good.
Old 01-31-24, 08:30 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Decisions need to be based on one's particular needs. look at the components of each bike. look at the cost to replace components and keep them serviced. For instance, I prefer a $50 9 speed cassette to a $300 12 speed. I prefer cable actuated brakes because they work fine for me without extra cost or service. Other than that, the bike needs to fit you. Some styles will fit you better even when they are the same size.
Old 01-31-24, 08:57 AM
RMTBaiden

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
My recommendation is to not buy bikes by brand. No idea about where you live according to your profile, but i\f you are bike shopping at several shops, don't be afraid to look at "off" brands, the ones that are not mainsteam. I have nothing against the big companies. They all make good products, but most of them charge more
I am not planning on buying bikes for the brand. I am not that type of person to own a brand just because it's super popular.
Old 01-31-24, 08:57 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Of the two brands you've listed I only have experience with Marin.
I bought a Marin Muirwoods BNIB in '96. A rigid chromoly frame/fork mountain bike. I rode that bike everywhere and have countless miles on it.
Never had a problem with the bike and only replaced wear parts when required. My son rides it now (he's a year younger than the bike) and loves it.
I don't know how the Marin bikes are today but that's my experience.....

OP.....good luck with your choice, and Welcome to the Forum.
Old 01-31-24, 10:06 AM
RMTBaiden

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
Of the two brands you've listed I only have experience with Marin.
I bought a Marin Muirwoods BNIB in '96. A rigid chromoly frame/fork mountain bike. I rode that bike everywhere and have countless miles on it.
Never had a problem with the bike and only replaced wear parts when required. My son rides it now (he's a year younger than the bike) and loves it.
I don't know how the Marin bikes are today but that's my experience.....

OP.....good luck with your choice, and Welcome to the Forum.
Thanks for your reply. I hear a lot of good things with Trek bikes, but after hearing your experience with a Marin, I might buy the Marin bike first to test out. One person probably isnt enough to choose, but its worth a shot.
Old 02-01-24, 09:57 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Thanks for your reply. I hear a lot of good things with Trek bikes, but after hearing your experience with a Marin, I might buy the Marin bike first to test out. One person probably isnt enough to choose, but its worth a shot.
The Kentfield2 is on sale at my LBS for $608CDN. I don't think you can go wrong with the bike if it fits your budget. Sure you can get better quality but it's going to cost you.
Parts can be replaced later but I think the current ones will provide good service. Buy from your LBS for proper fit and they usually include 1 year of adjutsments/tune-up, etc.

Don't forget to update this post with pics!
Old 02-01-24, 11:26 AM
Speedway2

Actually, if you're just looking for a bike the Kentfield2 has some decent features/mounts and the coffee/black colour with gum wall tires gives it a fresh modern look imo
Features:
  • Frame: Series 1 6061 Aluminum, 700C Wheels, Disc Specific, Kickstand Mount, Fender and Rack Mounts
  • Fork: Steel, Moto Blade, Disc Specific, Fender and Rack Eyelets
  • Tires: Vee Tire, GPVee, 700Cx40mm, Wire Bead, Flat Protection, Mixed Terrain Ready
  • MicroSHIFT Advent X 10-Speed Wide Range drivetrain, 11-51T
    BRAKES: Power CX7 Mechanical Disc, Shimano Pad Compatible, 160mm Rotor
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 02-04-24, 08:41 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I'm confused, why would you look at two extremely different priced bikes, there is a $2,100 difference between the two, then ask which one should you get?

I can only assume that you are a beginner rider? If that is the case than get the Marin that way in the off chance you decide cycling isn't for you, you won't have an expensive piece of garage art. Bikes depreciate in value very fast and by a lot of money, in one year those bikes will be worth half what you paid for whichever one you decide on. So, get the cheapest bike so in case you don't like cycling you're not out as much money.