Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Lemond Road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Lemond Road bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-22, 08:53 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I guess no fat men should be on bikes. If you look like a dick on one, you'll look like a dick on another.

Most people who think the MAMILs look stupid wouldn't know that Lemond from a Huffy. Except for the arrogant who believe certain people should not due certain things.

Time to sell my dive watch since I don't dive. And, I can't buy aviator sunglasses since I don't aviate. I didn't know things could make me look like a dick. 🤔

I think these statements are not correct. I think most people that wouldn't know a Lemond from a Huffy think all cyclists look stupid no matter their weight or age. They wouldn't even know what a MAMIL is. They'd have to look it up. Heck, I had to look it up. Good thing it's not a Wordle question. Same for the dive watch and aviator glasses. I don't dive or aviate either, so I really don't know much about them and don't care. You only look like a dick when you have to tell people you wear a dive watch and aviator glasses even though you don't participate in either endeavor. There's really no reason for them to know......unless they ask about it.

Last edited by seypat; 03-11-22 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-11-22, 09:02 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Well, my comment about putting lipstick on a pig did not say that I would look like a dick if I rode that bike. It merely meant that I could never use a bike like that to its potential. Hell, I can't even use the bikes I have to their potential, but I think they look good and don't think I look like a dick when riding them even with my old man pooch.

As for the comment about training more, that was a sarcastic post taking a shot at another poster in the "I want nice wheels" thread.

I'll bet that if you asked Greg Lemond who should buy this bike, he would tell you "everyone who can afford it." He's out to sell as many as he can, not sell to a select few.

You have to do a 20 minute FTP test before you can buy, read the fine print.
Old 03-11-22, 09:02 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I think these statements are not correct. I think most people that wouldn't know a Lemond from a Huffy think all cyclists look stupid no matter their weight or age. They wouldn't even know what a MAMIL is. They'd have to look it up. Heck, I had to look it up. Good thing it's not a Wordle question. Same for the dive watch and aviator glasses. I don't dive or aviate either, so I really don't know much about them and don't care. You only look like a dick when you have to tell people you wear a dive watch and aviator glasses even though you don't participate in either endeavor. There's really no reason for them to know......unless they ask about it.

not sure if this is a serious post
Old 03-11-22, 09:07 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,585 Times in 734 Posts
If that bike makes me look like a dick, then I want to look like a dick!

I'm way too frugal to step up, but the bike is a beauty.
Old 03-11-22, 09:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Well, my comment about putting lipstick on a pig did not say that I would look like a dick if I rode that bike. It merely meant that I could never use a bike like that to its potential. Hell, I can't even use the bikes I have to their potential, but I think they look good and don't think I look like a dick when riding them even with my old man pooch.

As for the comment about training more, that was a sarcastic post taking a shot at another poster in the "I want nice wheels" thread.

I'll bet that if you asked Greg Lemond who should buy this bike, he would tell you "everyone who can afford it." He's out to sell as many as he can, not sell to a select few.
I don't think it's meant to be a mainstream product. The marketing is all about being part of an exclusive "club". So you have to ask yourself whether or not you would feel comfortable in that "club". I'm on the fence in that respect. I very much like the bike, but I'm not such a massive Lemond fan. It all seems a bit contrived to me.

I don't follow your in-jokes across threads. So yeah they would go straight over my head.
Old 03-11-22, 09:18 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
You have to do a 20 minute FTP test before you can buy, read the fine print.
I could do that. Can't guarantee the results though!

I just tried to reserve my bike. All it asked for was my credit card number and email address. I guess the FTP of my fingers on a keyboard is the ultimate test. That and my credit card limit.
Old 03-11-22, 09:52 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
not sure if this is a serious post
It is. Now maybe I didn't have to look up MAMIL today, but I had to some time in the last year or three. Been cycling a lot longer than that. Dive watch, I don't know -----(insert your favorite cuss word) about those other than they must be waterproof to deep depths. Both of my eardrums have been burst/busted/perforated at least 3 times each. Not gonna be diving any time in the future. Same for aviation. Those eardrums give my enough trouble in the air as well. I will not be Iceman or Maverick ever, either. The glasses do look cool, though. I guess that's the point.
Old 03-11-22, 10:35 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
It is an elite level racing bike. But with the cost of ownership, doubtful anyone but a professional will actually be racing it. A person has to have some deep pockets to risk crashing it in the local crit.
I know dozens of people racing $10k+ bikes (Colnago V3R, Pinarello Dogma, Factor O2, etc.), and they're not professionals.
Old 03-11-22, 12:27 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Hi! What's this thread about?
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-11-22, 12:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hi! What's this thread about?
Show your FTP papers or move along.

Old 03-11-22, 12:53 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

I will see your 400 watts.

And raise you 41.

Old 03-11-22, 01:19 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

Or credit card.
Old 03-11-22, 02:50 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Here it is: LeMond (team-lemond.com)
$12,500
About $14,000 with Dura Ace. Good wheels etc.
Old 03-11-22, 03:03 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
About $14,000 with Dura Ace. Good wheels etc.
They say $12,500 for full build with DuraAce Di2 and what appear to be very good wheels.
Old 03-12-22, 04:49 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
which pro team will be using this new LeMond?
Old 03-12-22, 08:24 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Actually, I’d be more concerned about the galvanic corrosion caused by the contact between the carbon threads and metal fastener:

Despite all of the excellent properties of CFRCs, there are issues with using carbon fiber reinforced compositesand metals together. The carbon fibers in CFRPs cause this material to become electrically conductive. The carbon fibers are electrically conductive and electrochemically very noble. Therefore, when a metal is electrically connected to a CFRP, it is more susceptible to galvanic corrosion. (To learn more about galvanic corrosion, read An Introduction to the Galvanic Series: Galvanic Compatibility and Corrosion.)

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/galva...olymers/2/1556

I’ve had experience with fastening fittings to carbon fiber sailboat masts and booms. Tapping and threading directly into CF does not make for a connection that is very durable. Better to bond a threaded insert to the carbon with an epoxy. At least that’s been my experience.
Thanks for sharing that -- I learned something!