Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-21, 09:47 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12777 Post(s)
Liked 7,694 Times in 4,083 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Personally, if I were to replace my Crux and Allez with one bike, it would be the Litespeed Watia.
No Moots? According to this video I've been pronouncing Routt incorrectly this whole time...

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-18-21, 09:48 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Ive never been allergic to them before. Apparently sometimes a rash is also the only Covid symptom
I have several allergies - mushrooms, sulphate drugs, seasonal grass, etc. I just don’t eat mushrooms. It hasn’t been a problem. Have had bad reactions to statins and other cholesterol meds, and there is only one I can take.

I also get a rash on my torso every time I get something viral - cold, flu type illnesses, etc. The good thing is I don’t get sick often, and when I do it’s rarely bad. A lot of times I’ll get a rash, and my wife will let me know that I don’t feel well even though I do.
Old 12-18-21, 10:00 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,530 Times in 2,506 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
No Moots? According to this video I've been pronouncing Routt incorrectly this whole time...

https://youtu.be/exRgGEvftNg
Almost twice as expensive. For that budget, I'd likely go with this Drifter – No. 22 Bicycle Company (22bicycles.com)
Old 12-18-21, 10:29 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,652 Times in 3,485 Posts
Almost twice as expensive. For that budget, I'd likely go with this Drifter – No. 22 Bicycle Company (22bicycles.com)
Purdy.
Old 12-18-21, 10:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,563 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I’m allergic to mushrooms, and they give me hives. My mom and son have the same allergy.
You would have to pass on tonight’s rabbit. Has both porcini and portobello ‘shrooms.
Old 12-18-21, 10:39 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Allergic reaction but figuring out specific cause is a challenge. If no lip/throat/tongue swelling, stick with Benadryl or Allegra if Benadryl too sedating.

Anything new or unusual in last night’s dinner?
On point. I have been allergic to wheat(not just gluten) for the last few years, at least. Not anymore.
Old 12-18-21, 10:44 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

And pedals. It also solves some storage issues we’ve got in the garage and I’d really like to have disc rather than rim on my primary bike. I guess I could just get a Caledonia… I wish they sold the non-5 as a frameset
I hate changing pedals. I have a dedicated gravel/snow bike. Grab and go.
Old 12-18-21, 10:52 AM
seedsbelize2

I ate a tiny breakfast this morning--two spoonfuls of Costco multi-nut butter. And the usual two cups of instant. Satisfied. I continue to not be moving around much. The scuttlebutt is that boosters for seniors in my town are coming next week. I want to be healthy for that.
Old 12-18-21, 10:53 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,911 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Definitely nice up there. Also around Paso Robles. I went to the Great Western Bicycle Rally a couple times and the roads in those hills were great for riding.
Paso Robles? Doesn't it get ridiculously hot there? I was driving down to Santa Maria to visit a friend and pass Paso Robles, the outside temp was 106 and I gather this isn't that anomalous.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-18-21, 10:59 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

If I hit the Lotto (not likely, I don't play) I'll hook you up with a big enough bike room. That's probably what you want more room for anyway.
That would be nice, but mostly I want it so I can have my own space somewhere.

Each of The Boys has his own room, and Mrs. GeneJockey's stuff, like a gas, expands to fill the available space. The Younger Boy and I got her to clear her stuff out of the garage, so I could have my Bike And Pain Cave, and TYB could have his D&D space. After a couple weeks, she decided that big folding table we set up for TYB's D&D parties would be really handy for sorting her stuff. So now her stuff is metastasizing back into the garage and I have to leave my bike on the trainer just to hold the space.

Old 12-18-21, 11:01 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I didn't think that was an option for genejockey. I stand corrected.
"It's a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there."

Old 12-18-21, 11:17 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,530 Times in 2,506 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I hate changing pedals. I have a dedicated gravel/snow bike. Grab and go.
Changing pedals is no big deal (I've done a pedal swap in under 30 seconds in the pits at a CX race). But each of my bikes has their own pedals.
Old 12-18-21, 11:29 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,652 Times in 3,485 Posts
Mashed rates their Absolute Best Bourbons of 2021.

I can personally vouch for No. 6 . . . some really good stuff; No. 3 is also one of my favorites.

No. 8 is overrated, and of course so is No. 10.
Old 12-18-21, 11:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I ate a tiny breakfast this morning--two spoonfuls of Costco multi-nut butter. And the usual two cups of instant. Satisfied. I continue to not be moving around much. The scuttlebutt is that boosters for seniors in my town are coming next week. I want to be healthy for that.
You know, the general recommendation for recovering from a GI bug like you got is not to eat heavy, fatty things, like ice cream bars and nut butter. Think rice, white bread toast, etc.

Old 12-18-21, 11:47 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Changing pedals is no big deal (I've done a pedal swap in under 30 seconds in the pits at a CX race). But each of my bikes has their own pedals.
Ever since the pedal stripped the threads out of the brand new Centaur crank my LBS installed*, I'm leery of changing pedals.

*He was very good about it, fixed the crank for free, since I think he knew that either he or the wrench didn't torque that side down, which I read is just about the only reason a pedal would do that to a new crank.

Old 12-18-21, 12:00 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8840 Post(s)
Liked 2,988 Times in 1,737 Posts
Fixed that for you. Doctors don’t get the premiums.
maybe the premiums are high because prescription drugs are expensive and hospital costs are high. It's complicated. The insured are to blame also as they overutilize coverage by going to the Doctor for a cold or other mild ailment and don't always insist on generic Rx. I thought we were going to get it right with the push for consumer driven Healthcare in the late 90's but it didn't take off. My blood thinner is about to cost $500/month unless I change to Coumadin which is a PIA. That isn't a "greedy" doctors fault. We need innovation to find theses new meds but it costs money. Serious money.

In other news I bought these wool socks today.
Old 12-18-21, 12:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

So far, so good after Pfizer #3. Arm feels like somebody punched it, but otherwise nothing. No body aches, pulse is in its usual morning range (surrogate for temperature - it's elevated with fever).

I'd scheduled a shot for the earliest opportunity at our local Rite Aid, but we still needed to get The Boys boosted. So, since they said "Walk-Ins Welcome 2-3 PM", we all trooped off to Rite Aid to get shot. Turned out they only had Moderna, so only The Younger Boy got boosted (yes, I know, I could have mixed and matched. I didn't want to). SO after that, The Older Boy and I headed to the drive-in vaccination site at the local convention center. That was well planned out, let me tell you! An army of people with flags, a smaller number with iPads or some other tablet, and cones lining out everything, even the 15 minute observation period after the shot.

After the shot, The Older Boy and I stopped off at Safeway to pick up some stuff and by the time I got home and put the groceries away, all I wanted was to sleep, so I crashed for about 3 hours, interrupted only by having to answer the door for Mrs. GeneJockey who chose this of all days to go out without her keys.

Old 12-18-21, 12:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by DougRNS
maybe the premiums are high because prescription drugs are expensive and hospital costs are high. It's complicated. The insured are to blame also as they overutilize coverage by going to the Doctor for a cold or other mild ailment and don't always insist on generic Rx. I thought we were going to get it right with the push for consumer driven Healthcare in the late 90's but it didn't take off. My blood thinner is about to cost $500/month unless I change to Coumadin which is a PIA. That isn't a "greedy" doctors fault. We need innovation to find theses new meds but it costs money. Serious money.

You know what costs money? Advertising prescription drugs on network TV in prime time. Promotion and marketing is a larger expense for most of Pharma than R&D is.

Old 12-18-21, 12:03 PM
seedsbelize2

Originally Posted by genejockey
You know, the general recommendation for recovering from a GI bug like you got is not to eat heavy, fatty things, like ice cream bars and nut butter. Think rice, white bread toast, etc.
I did not know. Now I do. When I next get hungry I wil keep these points in mind.

It has reached the point wher I must login anew every time I visit the site.
Old 12-18-21, 12:06 PM
seedsbelize2

You can never go wrong with wool socks. I have been wearing them year round(when I wear socks at all) for 25 years.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 12-18-21, 12:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I did not know. Now I do. When I next get hungry I wil keep these points in mind.

It has reached the point wher I must login anew every time I visit the site.
We found out the hard way when Mrs. GeneJockey was a teacher. She only taught for 2 years before The Older Boy was born and she retired, but in that time we had stomach flu at least 3 times - and I mean 3 times EACH since it generally hit use sequentially.

One of those times it was bad enough to put each of us in the ER, dehydrated. I remember walking into the ER while Mrs. GJ looked for parking (this was in San Francisco), and it was like one of those movies where you're moving at regular speed but everything around you is really cranked up.

Old 12-18-21, 12:24 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11402 Post(s)
Liked 4,759 Times in 2,768 Posts
Tequila used to do that to me.
I'm lucky. Tequila only made me get ahold of my bail bondsman.
Old 12-18-21, 12:30 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Am I nuts?
No. Do it.
Old 12-18-21, 12:34 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I don’t get it. You’ll still be moving stuff between bikes - in the form of two wheels. In my mind, that’s a bigger PITA than moving a saddle bag and computer. I’d just get a second saddle bag and set of lights. They’re not that expensive.
Wheels are an easy swap and not something you'd do that often.
Old 12-18-21, 12:42 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Attention coffee lovers. I'm thinking about getting a pour over device for when I only want a cup. It could happen today. Already consulted @WhyFi's English guru.
French Press FTW
Likes For datlas:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.