Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New set up experiment

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New set up experiment

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-22, 09:22 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
New set up experiment

I have chronic spinal and shoulder issues. I was mostly inactive for the first 4 months of 2022 due to recurring UTI that blew up into acute prostatitis. Since getting back on the bikes beginning the first of May, I have been having a fair amount of discomfort, pain, and numbing in my hands. None of this is new, but it seems to be more prevalent now. I have been trying some different set ups on a couple of my bikes to help with the problem. I just finished a set up on my late 80's Ochsner, more upright and relaxed, looking for comfort. I took the bike for a ride this morning and everything felt and operated really good. The only drawback, if it is one, is the limitation on the width of tires. I had 28mm GK slicks, but the rear barely cleared the brake bridge. I put a couple of sort of thick washers on the bolt before installing, and that gave me a bit more room, maybe 2mm, still tight, but I think ok. I switched back to Open Pro rims with Shimano 600 hubs and 25 mm Panaracer Pasela PT's. With all the silver and the gum wall tires, it has more of a classic look.

When I got home from the ride, I cleaned, lubed, and polished it up. I like the set up, but think I am going to either a compact 52/36, or an Ultegra 6500 with 52/38 rings. I am leaning towards the Ultegra because I can have a complete 6500 group on the bike with the 600 wheels. And they are all in really good condition. It will just dress it up a bit. A couple of pics from this morning. Right now , the rear is 12-32.