Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crown race 26.6 sanding

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Crown race 26.6 sanding

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 01:55 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemore
If I get the CR seat milled in time, I will be using a NR HS.
You mat run into a stack height problem with a Campy NR headset. The top lock nut needs to be threaded all of the way on to the steerer. You may only be able to get 2-3 turns with a Campy lock nut!

Here's an example of what I'm suggesting. The arrow points to the gap in the threads:

verktyg

Chas.
Attached Images

Chas. ;-)

Old 07-21-15, 02:20 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I think you mean Foredom tool. I have done the same with a Dremel, the poor man's Foredom.

A sanding drum mounted on a drill press worked better, or at least faster.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 07-21-15 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 05:30 PM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
I would see if Elton over at Harris could help you out. If he's still there, that guy knows his stuff. Knows vintage bikes and, I would think they would have a crown race seat cutter.

As for other suggestions mentioned here, I personally would be very careful if taking it to a machine shop. While those guys are used to precision work, I might not feel comfortable taking a fork to someone who didn't know bikes and had never done if before. Still, if you specified the exact size you needed for an interference fit, it might be OK. Still, be careful having a thin, hollow steerer tube chucked in a big lathe. 2 cents.
Originally Posted by nlerner
Dave, a friend of mine had Broadway Bikes in Somerville take a fork crown from 27.0 to 26.4. He is a satisfied customer. But giving Harris/Elton a call before you head over is a good idea, too.

Instead of calling I went to Harris as they have early evening hours today. The tech at the bench said he wouldn't do milling and he though Jon( not sure?) might, but he wouldn't be in until Thursday - more importantly he didn't think they had the proper guides. In a private message someone suggested I might get good service if I call ahead to Belmont or Cambridge Bicycle. And I will definitely try Broadway Bikes if the others fail.
Old 07-22-15, 04:28 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I've turned down a 27.0 fork crown seat to 26.4 using a lathe, but noticed that a low speed was required to prevent the (thus imbalanced) offset fork ends from applying bending stress to the crown while spinning.

At a low speed, using a fine cutter that won't chatter, a concentric (with the steerer) can be made.

I've seen guys at bike shops go around the seat with a flat file, as miamijim suggested. Craftsmanship skill will determine how accurately this turns out, and of course you won't be correcting any of the flat portion of the crown race seating this way, but reducing the diameter with a sharp file is a cinch.
Old 07-22-15, 06:53 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Reducing the diameter is a cinch, true. But as you say, keeping the seat perfectly concentric using a hand file would require some real skill. Like master machinist or toolmaker skill, IMO. I consider myself fairly adept with a file, and even have the proper narrow pillar files with which to do it, but I don't think I'd try this. The crown race seat is one of many places on a good bike that needs to be precisely cut.
Just my opinion, o'course.