Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dropping from a 52T to a 50T - shorten chain?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 07:57 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts

Hi

Got a 2 month wait for a 52T DA9000 chain ring so I’ve picked up a 50T that happened to be in stock. Should I shorten my chain slightly - one double link perhaps? Seems a sensible adjustment but never had to fettle such things before.

Also - good grief these things are expensive.
Old 08-29-23, 08:14 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
It's not necessary to shorten your chain. It will be the slackest at 39x12, or whatever your small chainring and second smallest cog is, and those haven't changed.

And I agree, it is ridiculous how expensive new chain rings are. It's not much more to find a whole crankset in excellent condition on eBay, and then while you're at it why not just get a new bike.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 08-29-23, 09:04 AM
choddo

36x13 I think - yeah that makes sense. Cheers, one fewer job always appreciated.

Is there a reason why it’s slackest at the 2nd smallest cog? Just that I shouldn’t be using the smallest / cross chaining that far?
Old 08-29-23, 12:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Pour yourself a cup of coffee, and stop to think a moment.

You KNOW that your system works fine with a smaller chainring. So, why would you need to shorten the chain.

OTOH, if your question is whether the smaller outer ring would allow a shorter chain.....

The chain wraps halfway around the ring, so going from 52 to 50 teeth would allow 1 link less in the chain, which can only be shortened by 2 or more.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-29-23, 01:07 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Pour yourself a cup of coffee, and stop to think a moment.

You KNOW that your system works fine with a smaller chainring. So, why would you need to shorten the chain.

OTOH, if your question is whether the smaller outer ring would allow a shorter chain.....

The chain wraps halfway around the ring, so going from 52 to 50 teeth would allow 1 link less in the chain, which can only be shortened by 2 or more.
I always prefer to flap my jaw than consume any cognitive energy

Good point about the half circumference, hadn’t thought of that.
Old 08-29-23, 01:31 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
When DA9000 came out, I anticipated the scarcity and cost of replacement 50/34 rings.
So I snagged a complete crankset after the market settled down and parted-out the cranks and hardware.
My net price on the rings came to less than a hundred bucks, if memory serves.
Still in my spare parts bin after logging more than 30k miles. Maybe I will reach 50k? I wonder what others achieve.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 08-29-23, 01:34 PM
ljsense

Originally Posted by choddo
36x13 I think - yeah that makes sense. Cheers, one fewer job always appreciated.

Is there a reason why it’s slackest at the 2nd smallest cog? Just that I shouldn’t be using the smallest / cross chaining that far?
Yeah, you're right, the chain will be slackest with the small chain ring and smallest cog. I said second smallest because the convention is not to cross chain, but it happens. You definitely want a chain to be long enough to handle the big chain ring and biggest cog, even though that is also cross chaining.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 08-29-23, 02:54 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
Yeah, you're right, the chain will be slackest with the small chain ring and smallest cog. I said second smallest because the convention is not to cross chain, but it happens.
Well, actually, the Shimano dealer manual warns that one would expect chain rub when on the small chain ring and the four smallest cogs.

See, e.g., DM-RAFD001-05-ENG.pdf (shimano.com) at page 4. So best to avoid small small cross-chaining and the next few combos.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 08-29-23, 03:11 PM
ljsense

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Well, actually, the Shimano dealer manual warns that one would expect chain rub when on the small chain ring and the four smallest cogs.

See, e.g., DM-RAFD001-05-ENG.pdf (shimano.com) at page 4. So best to avoid small small cross-chaining and the next few combos.
Lots of great advice in that Shimano derailleur manual, such as this:

"Be careful not to let the hemming of your clothes get caught in the chain while riding. Otherwise you may fall off the bicycle."
Likes For ljsense:
Old 08-29-23, 03:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Like everything in life, it depends on the details. Why the manual engages in some CYA, with worst case warnings about cross-chain issues, not all systems are the same.

Important variables include; chain line, chainring gap, chainring size difference, and chain width. Many bikes can comfortably cross chain all but the worst combinations.

So, if you are willing to accept somewhat higher chain wear, feel free to ride ANY combination if/when it makes sense for you.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-29-23, 03:17 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Like everything in life, it depends on the details. Why the manual engages in some CYA, with worst case warnings about cross-chain issues, not all systems are the same.

Important variables include; chain line, chainring gap, chainring size difference, and chain width. Many bikes can comfortably cross chain all but the worst combinations.

So, if you are willing to accept somewhat higher chain wear, feel free to ride ANY combination if/when it makes sense for you.
Agreed, except for chain width; I think the manual assumes that one would install and use an 11-speed chain. Also depends on chain stay length.

I suppose, instead of "avoid", I should have said "minimize duration riding in". I did not imply that shifting into one of those gear combinations would lead to an immediate catastrophic assplosion.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 08-29-23, 03:29 PM
FBinNY 

Agreed, except for chain width; I think the manual assumes that one would install and use an 11-speed chain. Also depends on chain stay length.

I suppose, instead of "avoid", I should have said "minimize duration riding in". I did not imply that shifting into one of those gear combinations would lead to an immediate catastrophic assplosion.
I haven't checked all 11s chains, but at least up to 10s there was variation in the outside width of "same size" chains.

And, yes chainstay length factors. Then again "includes" is open to addition, unless one adds a limiter such as "only". However, in legalese, one might add "but not limited to", to be more bulletproof.

The key point one needs to remember about cross chain is that it's not a binary thing, ie. OK/not OK.

At most only 2 combinations (3 on a triple) have perfect chainline. ALL others have varying degrees of misalignment. So, using the inner with the 4th outer is only slightly worse than the 5th outer, and so on.

So, as a rider, who's also the engine, use gear combinations that best serve your cadence/torque needs and let the bike worry about itself.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-29-23 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-29-23, 03:35 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Also, the point one needs to remember about cross chain is that it's not a binary thing, ie. OK/not OK.

At most only 2 combinations (3 on a triple) have perfect chainline. ALL others have varying degrees of misalignment. So, using the inner with the 4th outer is only slightly worse than the 5th outer, and so on.

So, as a rider, who's also the engine, use gear combinations that best serve your cadence/torque needs and let the bike worry about itself.
I was not suggesting that we somehow need to keep the chain as parallel as possible to the central axis of the bike, which would be a fool's errand. I was merely suggesting to minimize the gear combos in a 2x setup where the chain would be rubbing on the FD cage and/or the big chain ring as recommended by the dealer manual.
Old 08-29-23, 03:44 PM
FBinNY 

I was merely suggesting to minimize the gear combos in a 2x setup where the chain would be rubbing on the FD cage and/or the big chain ring as recommended by the dealer manual.
We don't really disagree, and as one who only uses trimmable FDs, I don't sweat FD rub.

Change the "would be" to "is", and we agree completely.

Not being pedantic, just have spent too much time here on BF reading posts fretting about possible issues, when there are none.