Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is this stem ruined?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is this stem ruined?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-23, 12:42 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Here is another issue that is concerning. There is a spot on the top of the stem that I polished back a bit with some compound. When I run my finger across it, it feels like a flat spot. The question is… did he clamp it to close the clamping area? I don’t see marks on the other side, but who knows. Could be something fell on it and put a dent in it resulting in a slight flat spot.
Old 11-30-23, 12:55 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I don't think any amount of assurances or hand-holding are going to assuage your fears here. Just buy a new stem and forget about it.

Last edited by smd4; 11-30-23 at 12:59 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-30-23, 01:26 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I don't think any amount of assurances or hand-holding are going to assuage your fears here. Just buy a new stem and forget about it.
😂… probably right. It’s the kind of part I don’t want to gamble with, but it sure looks nice to me… that’s where the conflict comes in I guess. All of the Nitto stuff looks nice to me, I’m sure I’ll have no problem finding a replacement.
Old 11-30-23, 01:33 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
It's a stem.

To ask the question is to answer it. Otherwise, someday you're going to going to be leaning into a hard downhill corner, after a long straightaway, with your tears running into your ears, and one of the voices in your head will say, "you know, if that stem broke right now, you'd totally die. Just sayin'..." And that voice will be right. And you'll never be able to shut it up.

Take no chances with the front end.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 11-30-23, 01:39 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by boneshaker78
Here is another issue that is concerning. There is a spot on the top of the stem that I polished back a bit with some compound. When I run my finger across it, it feels like a flat spot. The question is… did he clamp it to close the clamping area? I don’t see marks on the other side, but who knows. Could be something fell on it and put a dent in it resulting in a slight flat spot.
Or from time to time the OO stood this bike upside-down, resting on that 'flat spot' and the seat.
Likes For spclark:
Old 11-30-23, 01:43 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
probably just where the cables were rubbing..mine has a small wear mark from where the cables rubbed.
Old 11-30-23, 01:44 PM
smd4

😂… probably right. It’s the kind of part I don’t want to gamble with, but it sure looks nice to me… that’s where the conflict comes in I guess. All of the Nitto stuff looks nice to me, I’m sure I’ll have no problem finding a replacement.
Now you can go on the hunt for the nicest quill stem ever made (by Nitto as well):

Likes For smd4:
Old 11-30-23, 02:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
To make it as clear as possible. THERE IS NO GAMBLE HERE.

It simply boils down to decision about your own obsessiveness, and how much you're willing to spend because of it.

If you're bugged, buy a new one and be happy, but don't lie to yourself that's a safety based decision.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-30-23, 02:05 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Good question.

He claims that the LBS swapped the bars and set it up with the thumb shifters and all, but judging from the stem situation I would say that is questionable at best. The cables do look very fresh, so it had to be done fairly recently. He was moving to Italy and decided it wasn’t worth bringing bikes with him, can’t blame him. He was likely in his 70’s, according to him he hadn’t ridden the bike much since they swapped everything over.

He claimed thousands of miles logged on it in his younger days and the bike had the drops on for most of its life.
Personally I wouldn't hesitate to run that stem with the proper bars or shim if it fit my needs, but you do you.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-01-23, 05:02 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Now you can go on the hunt for the nicest quill stem ever made (by Nitto as well):

How come that doesn’t seem to have any way of clamping the bar?
Old 12-01-23, 06:20 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
A 40 year old touring bike that saw extensive use might have a scuff ? Im shocked
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-01-23, 06:38 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by choddo
How come that doesn’t seem to have any way of clamping the bar?
The clamping bolt (as well as the wedge/cone bolt) is hidden inside the stem. You can see the clamping wedge just inside the stem itself.

It’s an elegant stem from a more civilized time.

Last edited by smd4; 12-01-23 at 07:44 AM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-03-23, 01:10 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yes, it looks like a Specialized-branded Nitto "Dynamic" stem. That's a high quality stem; ID should be 26.0mm
I agree, having owned both, they were indistinguishable to my eyes, except for the logos. The Dynamic is a beautiful stem and readily available stem usually for $50-70 new. Probably also able to fine a Specialized on Ebay. I sold one there a couple of years ago.
Old 12-03-23, 10:01 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
The clamping bolt (as well as the wedge/cone bolt) is hidden inside the stem. You can see the clamping wedge just inside the stem itself.
There's an image that clarifies this in another thread HERE. Clever design!
Old 12-05-23, 02:39 PM
jsallen
jsallen

Bikes: Severl

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Ouch! Prudence dictates, replace it! The aluminum has probably been taken beyond its elastic limit. and you would have to bend it again to get a standard 1" diameter handlebar in. Stems are not expensive. Face plants are.

Last edited by jsallen; 02-26-24 at 08:14 PM.
Likes For jsallen:
Old 12-05-23, 02:50 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by jsallen
Ouch! Prudence dictates, replace it!
Bull hockey. There's nothing wrong with it.
Old 12-05-23, 03:27 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
While there may be, and even probably is, nothing wrong with it, there is something wrong with me:

Fear.

I have crashed, exactly once, due to a stem failure. Checking out a buddy's newly built BMX bike. He'd forgotten to tighten the stem all the way. So, as I was honking up a hill, the stem pulled out of the fork. The crash was so fast and so violent that I literally didn't know that I'd crashed. Like, "Why is everything sideways??... Owww... Why do I hurt?" Had it happened at any kind of speed, I'd have been seriously injured, if not killed.

Nobody who has experienced a stem / fork / front end failure will risk anything that might create a repeat. Having doubts about your stem does not conduce to pleasant, enjoyable, carefree bicycling.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 12-05-23, 03:40 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
I agree with FBinNY. The stem isn't going to break.

But I'd also like to add two thoughts.

One, thanks for posting the hidden-bolt Dura-Ace stem. Those are great. I remember finding one on a SLX tubed bike I owned for a little while. Super cool.

Two, for those who act as if a broken stem results in death/automatic catastrophe, I'd like to offer a few counterexamples. I've had two Thomson stems with face plates that cracked. Neither failed while I was riding. I just approached the bike and said, 'oh, whoa, that stem plate is cracked.' So it failed at some point, but didn't let go of the handlebars. Second, I had a bike shop return a mountain bike to me after servicing the fork, and they forgot to tighten the bolts around the steer tube. I rode off, with the handlebars suddenly offering no control over the front wheel, but it didn't matter -- it was similar to riding no handed. I just coasted for a bit, then gently applied the brake. A bike with a broken stem will still balance and offer the usual gyroscopic steering. It may lead to a devastating crash, but it sure doesn't have to.
Old 12-05-23, 03:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
There's a very fundamental difference between mechanical failure and mechanic failure.

IMO this stem is safe and virtually immune to mechanical failure, however nothing can protect it or you from mechanic failure.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: