Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chris King Classic Hub shattered

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-23, 06:36 AM
blaine

Bikes: Moots Vamoots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just broke a CK

https://chrisking.com/products/classic-rear-archive

It was laced to Open Pro rims...the flange shattered in 2 places on the rear.

Should I try to find another Classic, rebuild the wheel with another CK hub, or go for another wheelset?

Looking for some advice as to how to proceed.

I like the Open Pros just fine. I'm not terribly considered about the weight, I am looking more for durability (which ultimately the CK did not provide).

thnaks
Old 09-06-23, 08:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Just buy a new wheelset. There are better rims than that and there are less expensive hubs that are light and, you know, dont shatter.
Old 09-06-23, 08:55 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
you might send the hub back to Chris King and perhaps they will warrantee it and give you a new one. Then you can have is rebuilt into your wheel. Is the discontinued "Classic" now known as the R45?
Old 09-06-23, 09:10 AM
blaine

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
you might send the hub back to Chris King and perhaps they will warrantee it and give you a new one. Then you can have is rebuilt into your wheel. Is the discontinued "Classic" now known as the R45?

In all honesty, I am the second owner of the wheelset, so I can't really expect too much from Chris King...that being said, there are not that many miles on the hubs.

I am looking at some NOS Genuine American Classic 420 Aeros right now....
Old 09-06-23, 09:16 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
You should drop them a line and tell them. I think you are right not to expect anything, but I also know they go above and beyond the call of duty. I have the same thing in 6-bolt disc (since 2014), so I am curious.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-06-23, 09:38 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Chris King offers lifetime warranty on hubs, but it only applies to the original purchaser and they have the usual caveats about "misuse, abuse, alteration, neglect, crash or impact, accidents, failure to perform routine maintenance, improper installation, use other than that for which the Product was intended, and normal wear and tear."

It might be worth contacting CK regardless, but I wouldn't expect them to just send you a new hub.

As far as new wheels, I don't think anyone can really provide meaningful advice without more info, price range, rider weight, type of use, etc.
Old 09-06-23, 09:53 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
The R45 was different from the Classic -- I believe Chris King said not to lace a R45 radially, but it was acceptable for the Classic.

How were your rims laced? I'd guess 3-cross, given the rims, but you never know -- if it was radial, that might have contributed to a cracked flange.

If you build your own wheels and are able to buy just the hub shell, it'd be worth it to fix what you have. But buying a whole replacement hub and paying to have it rebuilt is probably going to cost more than replacing the wheelset.

Plus, you can sell the guts of the broken hub.
Old 09-06-23, 10:06 AM
blaine

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yeah, I by no means expect a replacement, although it would be nice....I wouldn't expect that service however.

I don't build my own wheels, nor do I really want to. That's a rabbit hole I just don't want to dig my way out of.

As to a wheelset, I am looking for more durability than light weight savings. I am 180 and ride NC and SC pot hole filled roads. In the past I have had great success with Kyserium Elites and would consider those or even the Campy Zondas. I don't really want to spend more than 800 bucks on some wheels. I may be cheaping out, but that's where I'm at right now.
Old 09-06-23, 10:49 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
CK won't be able to get you a new hubshell. They just don't make them anymore. That rim's time has come and gone. You can easily build up a single wheel replacement with something else or as other have mentioned there's a lot of other options out there. Tech has come a long way.

Old 09-06-23, 02:53 PM
blaine

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm looking real hard at the Boyd Altamonts right now
Old 09-07-23, 05:03 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Get the DT Swiss 350 hub and have it laced to the Open Pro rim you are using (provided it is not warped or damaged in any way). It is what I ride and find the wheel just about perfect. FWIW I'm 235lbs and I take durability over weight weenie stuff every time.
Old 09-07-23, 07:47 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by blaine
I just broke a CK

https://chrisking.com/products/classic-rear-archive

It was laced to Open Pro rims...the flange shattered in 2 places on the rear.

Should I try to find another Classic, rebuild the wheel with another CK hub, or go for another wheelset?

Looking for some advice as to how to proceed.

I like the Open Pros just fine. I'm not terribly considered about the weight, I am looking more for durability (which ultimately the CK did not provide).

thnaks
The pictures aren't working.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-07-23, 10:24 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
DT Swiss 350 hubs are fine. I'm not sure I'd put resources into re-lacing a new DT Swiss hub to an old Mavic Open Pro rim though. Wouldn't you need to use new spokes anyway since you're changing to a different hub? Seems like for minimally more cost you could just build a new wheel from all-new parts.
Old 09-07-23, 11:47 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Reminds Me Of This

Old 09-07-23, 01:25 PM
blaine

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

yeah...well that's what happened...

I have ended up with some H Plus Son rims and DT swiss hubs for a new wheelset
Old 09-08-23, 12:24 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Those should go the distance for you. I know nothing about the H Plus Son rims, but my bet is they are just as durable as the Open Pro rims.
Old 09-13-23, 04:37 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I'm a big fan of Kings and Onyx. Onyx is cheaper. I have both on road bikes. So many good hub but those are quieter and silent. I have heard decent things about Boyd but I don not know how high their hub quality and bearing quality are. I'm assuming they use some pawl style hubs like Formula.
Old 09-14-23, 12:09 PM
blaine

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
I'm a big fan of Kings and Onyx. Onyx is cheaper. I have both on road bikes. So many good hub but those are quieter and silent. I have heard decent things about Boyd but I don not know how high their hub quality and bearing quality are. I'm assuming they use some pawl style hubs like Formula.

I got a response from CK and as I suspected, the hub was not covered by warranty which I did not expect. They said they could try to rebuild the shell, but may have issues with it being an older style hub. It's all good though...

I got my new DT Swiss hub set up and indexed in. It is very quiet. Have yet to do much of a ride yet. I'll be able to get out this coming Saturday.

I do have to say that I have a more of a classic looking Ti bike with the Vamoots, and it is taking a little getting used to a more aero style wheel on the bike. I did like how the CK hubs and the Open Pro rims suited the style of the bike...
Old 09-14-23, 01:25 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Yeah, my Moots RCS has ZIPP 303s so not super deep but not classic. The look does not bother me but I do not have this thing for classic and vintage bikes either.
Old 09-25-23, 08:05 AM
Silver02M5

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That is pretty wild. I have been biking for decades, and I have never seen a hubset come apart. Crazy!!