Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tour de Cure

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 08:00 PM
boomer58 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 17 Posts
Tour de Cure

I did my first Tour de Cure yesterday in Orlando. I waited until I was 65 to do this and I don't know why. It was an awesome experience and I can't wait until I can do another one. Unfortunately I fell and it caused another guy to crash on top of me. It was totally my fault and I felt terrible about it. He wasn't hurt at all and his bike was fine. He was really good about it and helped me out of the road. Once he knew I was ok he went on and finished. I thought my bike was ok until I went to get back on it and I had a broken pedal. I couldn't clip back into the left pedal because the back was broken. I was able to pedal with it as long as my toe was pushed into the front of it but I had to be careful to not slide my foot off the side. I finished the last 32 miles this way and was glad I was able to. I have never ridden in groups before and I am not comfortable with that. Probably just lack of experience and the last thing I want to do is cause someone else to crash. Despite all of the bruises, cuts, scrapes, and broken pedal, I had a great experience. Oh yeh, I raised $1680.00 dollars, boomer.
63 miles, 3 hours 54 minutes, 16 mph.
Likes For boomer58:
Old 03-25-24, 10:42 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Old 03-25-24, 10:54 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
OK Boomer!

(Sorry, I just had to do that.)

Thank you for the contribution, and I hope the pains are superficial and are gone by the time you read this. Double-sided SPD pedals are worth it.
Old 03-25-24, 11:13 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Good stuff! Even though you made a mistake when you crashed, ultimately he is responsible for his front wheel and he should have given himself an out/dodged you/seen what was happening and move. It’s not your fault that he crashed.
Old 03-26-24, 04:58 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
The last TdC I was on, the guy in front of me errantly slammed on this brakes and moved left versus shifting as we were rolling about 26 mph and I end up on the ground an powderized my clavical that took 5 operations to "fix". I have some nerves that got intermingled with the bone fragments and eventually pushed up near the skin, so if I press in just the right spot or someone tries to touch my shoulder, a lovely electric shock runs down my arm. The doc was not a fan for fishing out nerves possibly causing other damage, so I was ok with that knowing the long term effects. Doesn't bother me otherwise, so that is good. My left clavicle is about 3 times the thickness as my right, so if I fall again, I am hoping it is on my left.

Of course, my first question when people stopped to ask if I was ok, was, how is my bike.

Old 03-26-24, 05:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
Congrats for your fundraising! T shirt/charity rides can be fun and most riders accept that they'll be dodging squirrels and people of varying skills. If interested you can learn a lot about group riding etiquette and safety on the internet and most clubs offer new rider instruction.
Old 03-26-24, 11:14 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
When I did my one and only big group charity ride, I rode a bike with toe clips. I reasoned that in a big group, there would be a lot of waiting at intersections, there was.