Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Why brooks saddles?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Why brooks saddles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 07:37 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
As soon as I mounted the Brooks, it was instantly far more comfortable, and my lap times on that bike were 3-4% faster than they had been with the less comfortable saddles.

Old 04-04-15, 07:48 PM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Bikes: Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This what I have on my 3 speeds Armstrong.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150113_092002.jpg (90.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg
20150113_092034.jpg (86.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-05-15, 07:15 AM
RR3
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There is a Cyclist in the Netherlands with a blog or website that reviews and recommends what Brooks saddle would best work for the type of riding and rider derriere config. I like my Brooks Champion B17 Ti but prefer my Berthoud Aravis

This website can be helpful in selecting which saddle might be best....

Leather saddles: Brooks, Lepper, Selle Anatomica, seat covers, saddle maintenance, etc.
Old 04-05-15, 08:47 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It seems that carrying a plastic bag is a necessity in case it rains, but what happens to the Brooks when somebody doesn't cover it with plastic bag and the saddle gets exposed to a lot of heavy rain ??
In my case, nothing happens to it. My Brooks saddles have been left out in the rain a bunch of times and they're no worse for wear. If a leather saddle gets wet just let it dry out before you ride it. It's really not that hard to tuck a plastic bag under the saddle for when you need it though.

I find it amusing that leather boots, jackets, wallets, etc...have a reputation for being tough and long lasting, but leather saddles are viewed as these fragile things that need to be babied. They're not. I don't treat my leather saddles any different than I would treat any other saddle. No goops, no weird treatments or breaking in. I put it on my bike and use it.
Old 04-05-15, 08:47 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Once again comfort is relative. I find the give in brooks saddles unpleasant. For example, I recently tested the cambium and decided it felt too much like leather brooks saddles. In other words, I hated it. Many of the top end racing saddles are leather so it's not a matter of leather or synthetic -- it has to do with design.
Yeah, it's 100% your butt, and you like what you like. I just wanted to point out that for a saddle to get "floppy" (as opposed to having some give) it needs to be abused.
Old 04-05-15, 09:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6248 Post(s)
Liked 4,272 Times in 2,393 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
THIS commuter list, ya know, the Commuting list on Bike Forums. For examples see https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...ycle-pics.html
In over 11 years of posts and 533 pages, about the only thing you can say is that there isn't a "recommended" commuter bike. I can find just as many bikes with "drop bars, expensive components, and narrow high pressure tires" as any other kind of bicycle used for commuting. People commute on everything from English three speeds to a Huffy Mullet with drop bars to carbon fiber road bikes. I suspect you might even find an ordinary in there. I have a guy in my neighborhood that commutes on one every day.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-05-15, 09:19 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by TroN0074
If you dont care about your bicycle to bring it inside if it rains, than you shouldn't put a brooks on it.
There are times when you can't bring your bike inside when it rains. Some buildings don't allow bikes inside. While this is a commuting forum, on a tour my tent is nowhere big enough for my bike.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-05-15, 09:51 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
In over 11 years of posts and 533 pages, about the only thing you can say is that there isn't a "recommended" commuter bike. I can find just as many bikes with "drop bars, expensive components, and narrow high pressure tires" as any other kind of bicycle used for commuting. People commute on everything from English three speeds to a Huffy Mullet with drop bars to carbon fiber road bikes. I suspect you might even find an ordinary in there. I have a guy in my neighborhood that commutes on one every day.
I think that having a neighbor who commutes on an "ordinary" demonstrates just how unrepresentative your observations may be about the people who commute on bikes and their equipment, as well as your sampling location. Try examining the places where bikes are used for commuting to schools and low paying jobs where probably most bike commuters may be found, rather than the places where office workers and techie cycling enthusiasts (as the typical BF poster appears to be) park their LBS beauties.

Ya know, somebody must buy and even use all those Big Box Store bikes that have dominated sales for decades in the U.S. Nobody would ever draw that conclusion looking at the pictures of the posters' bikes on the commuting list.
Old 04-05-15, 10:22 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I think both of you are right. The majority of commutes done across the US are probably not done by people who care about this stuff and they are largely unrepresented here. At the same time cy's point that a commuter bike just being one used to commute is on point...and there are a lot of different approaches. My favorite commuter is a drop bar MTB conversion with a rack. What bike is right for your commute depends on your needs (including cost).

As to the OP's question, my Brooks is comfortable. It looks good. I don't "maintain" it. Prefer a cheap plastic one? Good for you. I've used Brooks since I was 15...my butt kept getting sore on a plastic avocet and an older rider gave me a Brooks pro. it stopped hurting.

As far as the cost, there are lots of things others spend money on that I'd likely think are stupid. I tend to keep those opinions to myself. Chocolat and vanilla.
Old 04-05-15, 10:34 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
At the same time cy's point that a commuter bike just being one used to commute is on point...and there are a lot of different approaches.
Something the "european/dutch/danish city bike" is the "perfect/optimal/best" commuter bike types fail to acknowledge is that there are plenty of places in the world with very high cycling mode share where these bikes are not used. It also beggars the imagination that a bike that is essentially unchanged for 100 years is the "perfect/optimal/best" commuter. (Clearly bike technology has advanced a bit.)

Last edited by spare_wheel; 04-05-15 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-05-15, 10:48 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I don't like those at all personally. To me a heavy bike that is a pain to carry and lift doesn't work. Someone not taking a bike up stairs and lifting onto a rack might not care. I hate IGH. I don't find upright position comfortable...I need my back stretched. I HATE generators - hub or bottle - because I like helmet mounted lighting and I prefer rechargeable because I have a lot of bikes and I need one system that works for all of them. I also think that they're ugly as hell.

What tire is best? Wheel size? Depends on your roads and commute!

That doesn't make me right - it's just a prefernce. Buy what works for you and I'll do what works for me The best bike is one that fits, is comfortable and which works for you (including cost). My preference is for touring bikes and MTB conversions.
Old 04-05-15, 10:54 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 404 Posts
This may be an US-based forum, but in most parts of the world commuting bikes are not "recommended" commuter bikes with "drop bars, expensive components, and narrow high pressure tires", they are cheap MTBs, roadsters or even beach cruisers.
Old 04-05-15, 11:14 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Reynolds
This may be an US-based forum, but in most parts of the world commuting bikes are not "recommended" commuter bikes with "drop bars, expensive components, and narrow high pressure tires", they are cheap MTBs, roadsters or even beach cruisers.
As they are in the U.S., if one looks beyond the bikes used to commute by the relatively small slice of commuters who are sports/enthusiast riders as predominantly seen and discussed on this list. That was, and is my point.
Old 04-05-15, 11:17 AM
bonner1040

Bikes: Salsa Spearfish 3 - VeloLucuma PoloLoco - Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc - Salsa Mukluk 2 - Salsa Vaya 2 - Specialized Vita (Wife)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds

You dont see ANY fancy bikes like what I ride on in Amsterdam or India thats for sure. I have never seen more bikes used soley for commuting anywhere else in the world. The only fancy bike you see in Amsterdam, someone is riding, with aero gear and they only exist on TV in India.
Old 04-05-15, 11:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Something the "european/dutch/danish city bike" is the "perfect/optimal/best" commuter bike types fail to acknowledge is that there are plenty of places in the world with very high cycling mode share where these bikes are not used.
Really? Where, your neighborhood or cyccommute's?
Old 04-05-15, 11:22 AM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bonner1040
You dont see ANY fancy bikes like what I ride on in Amsterdam or India thats for sure. I have never seen more bikes used soley for commuting anywhere else in the world. The only fancy bike you see in Amsterdam, someone is riding, with aero gear and they only exist on TV in India.
Well a fancy bicycle sells for several years of the average Indian's annual income. And the Netherlands is totally flat, so the benefits of a high-end bike are largely unnecessary except for racing. And wind is much more of an issue there than hills are, hence the aero gear.
Old 04-05-15, 11:25 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 2,081 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
. . . Buy what works for you and I'll do what works for me The best bike is one that fits, is comfortable and which works for you (including cost). My preference is for touring bikes and MTB conversions.
+ 1. MTB conversions make first rate commuters.
Old 04-05-15, 11:33 AM
bonner1040

Bikes: Salsa Spearfish 3 - VeloLucuma PoloLoco - Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc - Salsa Mukluk 2 - Salsa Vaya 2 - Specialized Vita (Wife)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well a fancy bicycle sells for several years of the average Indian's annual income. And the Netherlands is totally flat, so the benefits of a high-end bike are largely unnecessary except for racing. And wind is much more of an issue there than hills are, hence the aero gear.
I dont disagree with that at all, but out of 1,000,000,000 people there are plenty that can afford all the bikes that everyone on this forum owns combined. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands driving BMW and Mercedes bought with 80-100% import tax almost doubling the price.
Old 04-05-15, 11:37 AM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bonner1040
I dont disagree with that at all, but out of 1,000,000,000 people there are plenty that can afford all the bikes that everyone on this forum owns combined. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands driving BMW and Mercedes bought with 80-100% import tax almost doubling the price.
Those folks drive chauffered limos, not bikes, to work.
Old 04-05-15, 11:39 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I think are some other reasons as well...

More humid, salty air than most of us have. Higher rates of theft. Just MORE bikes - your bike will be wedged between others while parked. Scratched, pressed, etc. There are also just more commuters - faster bike doesn't help you get past the 5 mph stream. Space is at more of a premium - I think more people keep bikes locked outside.

Most importantly, I'd wager most of their commutes are shorter than many of ours... With better public transit options than most of us enjoy.

As as I like bike's is getting to, everything is relative.
Old 04-05-15, 12:06 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That sounds like something an "enthusiast" or an "experienced commuter" would write. Mycommuterisbest-itis!
Old 04-06-15, 07:13 AM
cyccommute 

I think that having a neighbor who commutes on an "ordinary" demonstrates just how unrepresentative your observations may be about the people who commute on bikes and their equipment, as well as your sampling location. Try examining the places where bikes are used for commuting to schools and low paying jobs where probably most bike commuters may be found, rather than the places where office workers and techie cycling enthusiasts (as the typical BF poster appears to be) park their LBS beauties.
No, having a neighbor who commutes on an ordinary just goes to show how wide the pool of bikes that can be used for commuting is. I do observe places where people commute to school, low paying and high paying jobs, urban and suburban commuting. I volunteer at a local bicycle co-op where I see people whose only transportation is a bicycle as well as others who can choose to commute by bicycle. The only constant is that their bikes look exactly like all the bikes in 533 pages of posts on the Bike Forums. They look exactly the same, i.e. they are bicycles and range from Big Box store bikes to high end technological wonders.

Ya know, somebody must buy and even use all those Big Box Store bikes that have dominated sales for decades in the U.S. Nobody would ever draw that conclusion looking at the pictures of the posters' bikes on the commuting list.
You are the one who referenced the commuter post and made some comment about "recommended commuter bikes". Now that you can't find a list where there aren't any people commuting on unrecommended commuter bikes is your problem not mine.

I would say that my sample set of bicycle commuters and bicycles used for commuting is vastly larger than yours. I live in an area with 2.5 million (give or take about 100k) people of which about 4% commute by bicycle. That's, roughly, 100,000 people commuting by bicycle across a very wide area. Just in the City and County of Denver, 6% commute by bicycle on a regular basis. That around 40,000 people. If you are counting, Burlington, IA only has 25,000 and, if they follow national trends, only about 1% of your local population commutes by bicycle. That's around 250 people.

I think my observations of what constitutes a "commuter bicycle" are more valid than yours.

Old 04-06-15, 08:22 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I'm so focused on the comfort of my Brooks saddle, I rarely notice what others are riding. They all seem to have 2 wheels, a frame, other stuff and a person riding it. This whole debate is pointless. Ride what you want, where you want, and stop fretting about what others are doing.
Old 04-06-15, 08:57 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
This whole debate is pointless. Ride what you want, where you want, and stop fretting about what others are doing.
I pointed that out at the beginning, but what can one do when some seize every opportunity to make disparaging comments about anything other than the latest, greatest sporting equipment pressed into commuting duty.
Old 04-06-15, 11:24 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I recently obtained a B17 Narrow from the fleabay that had maybe a weeks' worth of service on it and the seller did not feel like breaking it in. So far, I have absolutely loved it. It has seen time on my "city bike" (aka 90s non-suspension mtn bike) and my 89 Schwinn Prelude. I did a group ride last Thursday and was the only one riding a steel bike with a Brooks on it. It is about to get put onto my Peugeot which is going to become my commuter.

Sheldon Brown has a great article about leather saddles
Leather Saddles

Specific questions have already been answered, like what happens when it gets wet.

These belong more on the 41, but with that saddle moving to my commuter, well I will miss it on this bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.