Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking to Replace My Stolen Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-23, 06:55 PM
Doom899

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The last bike I owned I purchased off Craigslist because one of you found it for me and told me to buy it! It was a wonderful bike. Went for about $500-$600 brand new. Well that one is gone, and it's time to buy another. I loved everything about that bike. It was an XL(I'm 6'2"). A hybrid. It had rapidfire shifting with the two seperate thumb levers per handle.

What I did decide, is that I don't want 21 gears again. It's just too many.

Here is what I am currently eyeing up:

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/pro...nt=36639148810

I'm not a fan of the rotating handle to shift, but to only have 3 gears sounds wonderful. I hope the difference between the 3 is rather large. Also not bothering with oil and a chain sounds cool as well.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-26-23, 07:17 PM
Billlyy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Belt drive

That seems like a good design
keep us posted
Old 10-26-23, 07:18 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 2,061 Posts
https://velomine.com/products/sturme...d-black-silver
Old 10-26-23, 09:31 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Try to think about the gear selections you used on the lost bike. I wouldn't want to be stuck with just 3 speeds; the ratios are too far apart. For a couple hundred more, you could get the L-Train model with a 7-speed hub gear. Then for a little more money you can replace the twist-grip with a trigger-shifter.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 10-28-23, 02:36 AM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
I have ridden a few thousand miles on a single-speed over the last year so don't worry about having so many speeds just because one person needs them. What one person needs has nothing to do with what you need. I would think about why your bike was stolen and the chances of it happening again and factor that chance into what you get next and how much you pay for it.
Old 10-28-23, 08:43 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7654 Post(s)
Liked 3,491 Times in 1,843 Posts
I thought you meant you wanted to replace your stolen bike with a new stolen bike .... can't help you there.

The seven-speed hub sounds good. Three speeds is okay if you live on flat land.
Old 10-28-23, 04:15 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Don't be too quick to write-off your stolen bike. If you filed a police report, you just might get it back.
Old 10-28-23, 04:45 PM
Doom899

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My old bike is gone forever. Been that way for years. New bike might get stolen too! But I'm not a student on campus anymore.

I'm liking the 7 speed idea, but with disc brakes it costs $850. That's a lot, but I may just close my eyes and hit purchase. It really sounds like a perfect fit for me.

None of you have ripped in this brand like they do on another more general forum type site that starts with redxxx. I figure you guys know more about bikes than red***ors...
Old 10-28-23, 06:14 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom899
My old bike is gone forever. Been that way for years. New bike might get stolen too! But I'm not a student on campus anymore.

I'm liking the 7 speed idea, but with disc brakes it costs $850. That's a lot, but I may just close my eyes and hit purchase. It really sounds like a perfect fit for me.

None of you have ripped in this brand like they do on another more general forum type site that starts with redxxx. I figure you guys know more about bikes than red***ors...
Something that you have to understand is that many of us don't want you to regret your purchase. You claim that 21 speed were too much but that may be related to having 2 shifters. You may want to simplify shifting, but going from "21" speeds to 3 may be a bridge too far. When I talk about "21" speeds you may not understand that 21 speed drive systems only have about 12 distinctive gear ratios, which is why you might think that 21 speeds is too much. 3 speeds may not be enough for you. Don't discount gear systems with more choices especially if you have to climb hills where you live
Old 10-28-23, 06:25 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 1,483 Times in 1,028 Posts
If you have a Costco membership, Priority Bicycles sells another version of this bike through Costco Next with different frame colors and free shipping.

Brilliant Cooper – Priority Bicycles Costco Next
Old 10-28-23, 06:37 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,066 Times in 1,082 Posts
I had an earlier Priority model, 8 speed with disc brakes. I loved it as a commuter and utility bike, particularly when I lived in west Texas, which was flat. Dealing with a rear flat is a bit fiddly compared to a chain-drive bike, but I did like the low maintenance and cleanliness of the belt.

I did destroy the original belt and the original rear cog. Priority warranted the cog, replacing it with the higher end model. I had to pay for the belt, and I also opted for the higher end Gates belt. No troubles after that.

All in all I would recommend Priority, as a utility and urban bike.
Old 10-31-23, 08:35 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 826 Times in 624 Posts
Be aware that "usually" three-speed bikes have about a 2:1 ratio between the easiest and hardest gears (the lowest gear is only twice as easy to pedal compared to the highest) while your 21 speed had a 4 or 5:1 ratio (probably 4.5). As above this could make for difficulties in hilly areas.
Old 11-02-23, 04:33 PM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
The last bike I owned I purchased off Craigslist because one of you found it for me and told me to buy it! It was a wonderful bike. Went for about $500-$600 brand new. Well that one is gone, and it's time to buy another. I loved everything about that bike. It was an XL(I'm 6'2"). A hybrid. It had rapidfire shifting with the two seperate thumb levers per handle.

What I did decide, is that I don't want 21 gears again. It's just too many.

Here is what I am currently eyeing up:

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/pro...nt=36639148810

I'm not a fan of the rotating handle to shift, but to only have 3 gears sounds wonderful. I hope the difference between the 3 is rather large. Also not bothering with oil and a chain sounds cool as well.

What do you guys think?
I have this bike and use it almost 5 days a week year round. Be aware this model comes with a "ST" or side-track belt and a crankset without a replaceable ring. If you're not riding it in extremely cold weather or mud, I guess it wouldn't matter much. Mine gets squeaky in the wet. The gearing is adequate for my needs, but if you're frequently climbing hills much steeper than bike path overpasses, you might not be happy. Plan on replacing the seat. I found it to be the worst I recall ever sitting on. If your bike will ever get left out in the rain, I think you'll love having a belt. If you're not too hung up on the belt, I'd suggest looking at the Giant Cypress 3 or 2 or something similar instead.

The L-Train seems like a much more compelling bike to me if I were buying new. I got my Gotham used.

Last edited by SirLeaflock; 11-02-23 at 04:38 PM. Reason: added text
Old 11-02-23, 05:24 PM
Doom899

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been holding this back to hear feedback from various individuals from various terrains, but I'm in central IL. I was recently told that I live in the flattest county in the state! However, I really like to move quick and get a good workout from biking, so I won't necessarily be "leisurely" put-putting along. I am a member of Costco, and while I'm not a fan of a "step through" frame, I may leave my masculinity at the door and opt for the Costco deal on the Turi.

I do plan on installing a shock absorber type seat. Also plan on replacing any handlebar grip twist shift with some sort of thumb lever shift.

Last edited by Doom899; 11-02-23 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-03-23, 04:51 AM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I've been holding this back to hear feedback from various individuals from various terrains, but I'm in central IL. I was recently told that I live in the flattest county in the state! However, I really like to move quick and get a good workout from biking, so I won't necessarily be "leisurely" put-putting along. I am a member of Costco, and while I'm not a fan of a "step through" frame, I may leave my masculinity at the door and opt for the Costco deal on the Turi.

I do plan on installing a shock absorber type seat. Also plan on replacing any handlebar grip twist shift with some sort of thumb lever shift.
The Turi is a really neat looking bike. I thought about suggesting it but thought it might be priced higher than you want. It has a CVT hub, so there is no escaping the gripshift. As simple as it gets for shifting though. What is the Costco price?
Old 11-04-23, 05:48 PM
Doom899

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SirLeaflock
What is the Costco price?
$759 + Tax w/free shipping.

I bought the Turi. Will be here for home assembly in two days. About to order a new seat post w/shock absorber right now.
Old 11-04-23, 06:02 PM
Doom899

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So now to the next question. What is a good shock absorber type seat post for a 6'2" 300lb guy? The seat posts I see on Amazon are for 200lb guys...

Last edited by Doom899; 11-05-23 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-11-23, 01:39 PM
Doom899

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love this bike! The gearing is perfect!

Already replaced the seat post, and the seT will be delivered today. Lights are en route. I think I'll get Ergon GP5 grips. Since this is a CVTransmission, I may stick with the handlebar twist shifter.

The large fits me nicely since I'm 6'2".

The quietness of the belt drive is awesome!

Thanks for the advice guys!

Last edited by Doom899; 11-12-23 at 07:08 AM.
Likes For Doom899: