Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Homebuilt 'Bent Project

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Homebuilt 'Bent Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 05:02 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Homebuilt 'Bent Project

Getting closer to starting. I have two sets of plans (maybe multiple projects if the first goes well) from Atomic Zombie, the Tourmaster long wheel base recumbent and the Tri-Cruiser trike.

I had the crazy thought of basically combining the two plans and seeing if I could hack together something that would be kind of the ultimate car replacement, at least in my mind.

Idea would be building from the front bottom bracket back here:

and adding the front end of this:

Any reason this wouldn't work from a geometry/engineering stand point?
Old 02-12-10, 06:47 PM
joseph senger

Bikes: trek 8000, GF sugar 1, 1975 schwinn fairlady, 1942 ccm, 1965 ccm retro mod, khe lagger flatland bike...ect..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well you know what you want to use it for. tricycle = big pain in the ass in the city streets. Just remember you dont need as much rake on a tricycle as you do a two wheels recumbent.
Old 02-12-10, 08:01 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's still mostly a thought. I've been reading the trike threads on Bent Rider Online to get a feel for trikes in the city and commuting. In theory I like the idea for the stability (we get some interesting winters), comfort, room to mount lights and something like an airzound and the ability to haul (putting a Wald dual basket on the back of whatever I build).
Old 02-13-10, 01:37 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
From the bottom bracket back on the LWB and from the BB forward on the trike? It looks to me like the BB is about a foot higher one than on the other, so unless I misunderstand something, I don`t see how you figure to match them up. Then again, I probably wouldn`t be much help even if you spelled it out for me

If you were looking on the trikes section over there, maybe you ought to post the idea in the homebrew department. Some of those guys seem pretty sharp and are very used to dealing with nonstandard geometry.
Old 02-13-10, 03:42 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did post the idea, though haven't had a response since.

The bottom brackets don't match, but I like the lower BB of the LWB. What I was thinking was to build from that BB back, with no front triangle like the top picture. Then cut a downtube/headtube to the right length and angle for the front boom/dual wheels. Or do the top tube/head tube in line for the front boom and cut a piece of tube to angle down and attach to the forward BB. Does that make sense?
Old 02-13-10, 07:15 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think I see the general idea, although the details are a little fuzzy. It`s tough to explain non DF geometry with DF terms, but I guess that`s about all you can do. By MY way of thinking, as long as both bikes would work individually, your combo should work too. Don`t put to much stock in my prediction though- I don`t trust me much, myself. And there`s still the question of how well that trike handles even before your proposed changes.

Yeah, looks like a week on BROL with no bites. Maybe try bumping the thread with a little rewording? Have you tried the AZ forum? I don`t much care for it, but it seems that some folks do, so it`s probably just a personal issue.
Old 02-13-10, 07:26 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh, one more thing. Either on your BROL post, or in your blog, did you mention you`re waiting to buy a welder? Maybe it`s just the snob in me, but unless you`re talking about a TIG machine (and ESPECIALLY if you`re talking about "stick"), you might consider going with gas brazing, or even gas welding instead. Welding thin metal takes a lot more practice than brazing it. I understand that the price of O/A or O/P gear might be prohibitive and that MAPP with silver probably isn`t ideal if you`re working with mismatched pieces from donor bikes, but gas is still my semi-informed suggestion.
Old 02-13-10, 09:42 PM
scbvideoboy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here check this out:

https://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...ad.php?t=56419

Primer on trikes...real good info, the thing to understand most about a trike with 2 wheels up front is throw away any standard bike front fork/rake/trail geometry and instead research car steering and suspension basics as the front is car like, not bike like.

That's important other wise it will ride/steer and handle like a concrete bag.

Dave
Old 02-14-10, 01:47 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm signed up for a basic stick welding class at the local community college next quarter to get some knowledge and practice. Also took a 4 hour quicky class at a local co-op which let us practice with a MIG set up. At this time, I'm not looking to buy a welder. No room or space to do it.

And I think I am just going to stick with the LWB build. The extra parts are going to be a hassle and extra expense. I just picked up my second donor bike and it's perfect for this. Added bonus was a better set of parts than my research indicated. So for $100 I have two bikes, all the basic parts I need and some I can resell. All I'll need to do is build a new front wheel for a dyno hub and pick up a set of old north road style bars.
Old 02-15-10, 07:26 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by politicalgeek
I'm signed up for a basic stick welding class at the local community college next quarter to get some knowledge and practice. Also took a 4 hour quicky class at a local co-op which let us practice with a MIG set up. At this time, I'm not looking to buy a welder. No room or space to do it.

And I think I am just going to stick with the LWB build. The extra parts are going to be a hassle and extra expense. I just picked up my second donor bike and it's perfect for this. Added bonus was a better set of parts than my research indicated. So for $100 I have two bikes, all the basic parts I need and some I can resell. All I'll need to do is build a new front wheel for a dyno hub and pick up a set of old north road style bars.
That stick wleding class will come in handy no matter what kind of welding you ultimately go with. Rather than buying our own equipment, you might be able to build you bike with the school`s or that COOP`s equipment. I took a woodworking course at my local college a few years ago and found that a lot of people just take it for use of the shop. Also, a guy at work commented that his wife had been taking machine shop courses at the same CC (different location) in order to build a clock that she saw plans for in an old Popular Mechanics mag. Wonder if she ever finished it? Anyway, the resources you`re already looking at might be good for more than just lessons.

Going to stick with the LWB? You mean only the 2-wheeled part? That probably cuts the possible complications to less than half of what you`d have been looking at for the trike.
Old 02-16-10, 06:48 AM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just the two wheel. The co-op is changing their membership pricing, so I am waiting to hear back from them. That's when I figured I would sign up for the CC course. If I can't do the project through the CC, at least I will have better knowledge to keep time and cost at the co-op down.