Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Continental Gatorskin "Poly-X-Breaker" Logo

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-21, 10:05 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

some tires have it, some do not,

bought a couple of 26 inch Gators last week, two flats already, wire bead,

wondering if lack of Poly X logo means bootleg or just a different time period?

took bad tire apart and found no Poly X under the tread, just the regular nylon from bead to bead.

what do your tires say? how is your mileage? thanks!

(sorry for the out of focus, nikon coolpix is a pos)
Old 12-22-21, 01:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Probably just a when they were made. Possibly where they were made if they make the same tires at multiple places. Might well be a different part number on the two tires if you look at all the little tiny print embossed on them just above the witness line.

Have you checked both sides of the tires? I've had stuff like that on one side but not the other.

two flats already, wire bead,
Twice already. That sucks. One more and you should be good for a time.

Last edited by Iride01; 12-22-21 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-23-21, 03:31 AM
cjenrick

upon further review, i do not think that these 26" wire bead tires are fakes. i think it was the rain, and a little bad luck and maybe the tires were not aged that long like the other 700c tires that i stockpile for aging purposes. i looked at all the writing on the wall for many tires and it was all the same.

i just ordered a schwalbe marathon in 26 x 1 3/8" with the 3mil barrier, those tires are dogs but i need something bulletproof for late night freeze out rain rides in the middle of nowhere. i figure that i will be stronger when i switch back to the road bike for spring summer rides.

i just noticed something else on the logo thing, i have some gatorskin hardshells that have the "made in germany" brought out in colors. so as far as trying to deduce tire quality by the decals seems like a dead end.

Last edited by cjenrick; 12-23-21 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-23-21, 03:41 AM
cjenrick

that poly x breaker layer is not as tough as i thought, it is pretty easy to force a straight pin right through the layer.

so it is best to check your tires frequently for offending matter as if not removed, it will eventually penetrate the poly x barrier.

the protective layer used in the schwalbe marathon should be a lot tougher on the straight pin test.

this is a hradshell. needle is going through the poly x layer. tire was delaminating from long miles .camera focus is a bit better after fresh batteries,

so gatorskin front, schwalbe marathon back for night time rain rides,
gatorskin front, gatorskin hardshell back for good weather day rides..

Last edited by cjenrick; 12-23-21 at 03:45 AM.
Old 12-23-21, 10:01 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
some tires have it, some do not,

bought a couple of 26 inch Gators last week, two flats already, wire bead,

wondering if lack of Poly X logo means bootleg or just a different time period?

took bad tire apart and found no Poly X under the tread, just the regular nylon from bead to bead.

what do your tires say? how is your mileage? thanks!
I have received Conti tires in the exact same box but with different sidewall treatments. By all other indications they were the same tires. Maybe there are different specifications for different regions but got sent to fill a shortage in the supply chain. Not a common thing, but it does happen.