Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Most Durable Disc Rotors

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Most Durable Disc Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-22, 10:38 AM
ngauhaj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most Durable Disc Rotors

Hi, dumb question, so I have this bike with disc breaks and the rotors need to be swapped soon. I would like to get rotors that are the most durable(I don't care an inch about the weight of them) preferably ones that are entirely made of stainless steel if anything like it even exists. I couldn't find any thing on the internet so any suggestions would be highly appreciated thanks.
Old 02-25-22, 11:00 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
What is wrong with your rotors. Why do you need to replace them.
Old 02-25-22, 11:34 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
What is wrong with your rotors. Why do you need to replace them.
They wear out.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 02-25-22, 11:39 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Anything from SRAM or Shimano should be OK. They are all pretty durable and rarely need to be changed. You need to change pads before rotors in most cases.
Old 02-25-22, 11:44 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6966 Post(s)
Liked 10,965 Times in 4,690 Posts
Originally Posted by ngauhaj
Hi, dumb question, so I have this bike with disc breaks and the rotors need to be swapped soon. I would like to get rotors that are the most durable(I don't care an inch about the weight of them) preferably ones that are entirely made of stainless steel if anything like it even exists. I couldn't find any thing on the internet so any suggestions would be highly appreciated thanks.
I'm not sure that you'll see much difference in lifespan among rotors, as they've pretty much all got stainless steel braking surfaces, and they will all be about the same thickness. Off the top of my head, I think Shimano's start out at 1.8mm thick and SRAM's at 1.85mm, but they recommend replacement at 1.5mm and 1.55mm, respectively -- so, at the same amount of wear.

The bigger factor is your brake pads: organic pads will likely give longer rotor life, while sintered/semi-metallic will wear them down a bit faster.

You didn't mention whether your hubs are six-bolt or centerlock, so it's hard to give recommendations...But I do like my Shimano Ice-Tech rotors. I've got about 9k miles on the pair, and they are still thick and true.
Old 02-25-22, 11:49 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
preferably ones that are entirely made of stainless steel if anything like it even exists.
Stainless steel rotors are widely available from most manufacturers. Some have aluminum cores, but that shouldn't affect lifespan.
Old 02-25-22, 05:12 PM
ngauhaj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not sure that you'll see much difference in lifespan among rotors, as they've pretty much all got stainless steel braking surfaces, and they will all be about the same thickness. Off the top of my head, I think Shimano's start out at 1.8mm thick and SRAM's at 1.85mm, but they recommend replacement at 1.5mm and 1.55mm, respectively -- so, at the same amount of wear.

The bigger factor is your brake pads: organic pads will likely give longer rotor life, while sintered/semi-metallic will wear them down a bit faster.

You didn't mention whether your hubs are six-bolt or centerlock, so it's hard to give recommendations...But I do like my Shimano Ice-Tech rotors. I've got about 9k miles on the pair, and they are still thick and true.
thx sorry good point, my rotors are 6 bolt
Old 02-25-22, 06:08 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Magura rotors are 2 mm thick - thicker than most.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 02-25-22, 07:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Magura MDP rotors would be my choice if you want some really excellent stopping power however they are only for 180mm and above make sure what you have can accept that or adapt it if possible if it can't (check manufacturer recommendations before going crazy). I am curious what your current set up is because if you are having issues with braking there could be things to help solve that.
Old 02-25-22, 09:08 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
https://trpcycling.com/product/trp-4...slotted-rotor/
2.3mm rotors with reinforced center.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 02-25-22, 10:43 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You did that on purpose, right?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-26-22, 03:10 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
i had the Shimano RT26 but with the centerlock setup. When i upgraded my wheels i swapped rotors since the new wheelset require the 6 bolts instead of the centerlock. I'am currently using a pair from aliexpress (i found the link and the review from another forum).
I can't complain , they works perfect and looks pretty cool , a lot more than the original. For now i think i've done 1.000Kms but still the wear looks normal. Probably i'm going to replace with the same pair when i must do.
I have no idea if every rotor from aliexpres works the same , probably the other brand as sram etc has more quality.
Old 02-28-22, 10:55 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You did that on purpose, right?
It is kind of funny how people screw up "brake" and "break" on a consistent basis on these forums.