Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Attitude from race officials after (politely) protesting

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Attitude from race officials after (politely) protesting

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 12:12 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The officials I've talked to who have dealt with chips in races said they were a disaster and took forever to generate results. I've also heard of incidents where the timer took elapsed time for each rider (from time they crossed the start to time they crossed the finish), which is utterly incorrect in a mass start race. Even if you can't afford a proper photo-finish camera, a minidv camera and a mac can make picking places (and keeping track of who is in the race and who is in the field) a lot easier.
Old 05-10-10, 01:30 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cmyke
Huh? What did I say?
Originally Posted by cmyke
I'm confident her attitude would have been the same snarky attitude.
Just sayin'
Old 05-10-10, 03:00 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
As a bottom rung (Class C) official who often gets to work understaffed 'local' events, I'll just toss in a few items:

1. Chip timing is expensive, and the manufacturers still don't have all the issues worked out for mass starts yet (see post just a couple above), plus sometimes they'll miss counting a lap , totally screwing things up.
When they do get the bugs out, and they are cheap enough that you'll get one at the first race, keep it and reuse it for every race, you'll see them used a lot more. FYI: you may get to use one in cross before you do in road.

2. Good finish line cameras and equipment are expensive as well. Your bike is cheap in comparison. But that $ spent can be useless if you can't pin your number on correctly. By the time you reach Cat4 you should know how to do this. Probably the #2 contributor to slow results posting.

3. In events where you have been lapped but not pulled, please do not contest the field sprint finish. Drift to the back. In 'local' events this one item can slow up the posting of results, and cause delays through protests, as much as anything else.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 05-14-10, 08:04 PM
obra3
Little Pony

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kudude
re: chips,

there is also a technical issue that the winner is the first wheel across the line, but you can't mount a sensor on the wheel, so you put it on the fork. Doesn't matter mostly, except when it does. So you still need a backup camera. Then there's the extra race-day hassle of distributing and collecting (if they aren't a one time use) the chips, mounting them. I assume they wouldn't malfunction much, but the extra cost and hassle is often not worth avoiding the occasional protest.

my .02
Heh. I leave for a bit and then a post I can comment on. First- cdr- right on. I'm in CT right now but wasn't able to bring my bike.

ibid on what kudude says. Too much hassle. We looked at getting them- pretty hefty investment. Data is pretty neat but we'd have to add personnel to each race. (One person to deal with timing system) This is in addition to the regular Finishlynx operator and the other officials. I've chatted with the folks over at USAC and we both agree its intriguing but not sure whether the technology is quite there. Cross Crusade tried chips one year and it was a complete debacle.