Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

wtb: 54-56cm frameset (32c clearance with short reach calipers please)

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-22, 03:51 PM
mauricesnail 

Bikes: bridgestone mb-1, rb-t, and xo-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Hi everyone, hope you've got your calipers warmed up Looking for a c&v (or neo) frameset that clears 700x32 with short reach (39-49mm) calipers. Dozens of posts on here show examples of this working out when the brake pads at the bottom of the slots. Tight spots seem to be fork crowns, brake bridges, and chainstays, so if you've got something in the 54-56cm size that you know clears 32s under those little brakes say hi! 126/130 rear spacing is fine sure

I'm tubing/brand agnostic, and understand those influence pricing in a range of zero dollars to a million bazillion, but max dimensions I can ride are 56cm top tube c-t-c and a 32.5" standover.

Currently riding a 53 RB-T on 33 somas (they run narrow though) and it feels nice minus the frame being a bit small. The build will be all superbe pro, which my short reach hidden springs clamp around a 33 jack brown on a A23 rim with good clearance in each direction (many thanks to other members on here for selling me your bits)

Last edited by mauricesnail; 08-18-22 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-17-22, 04:26 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I have this for sale currently. I'm happy to check if 32's will fit. It's definitely designed for short reach brakes and is a 55cm frame.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...set-300-a.html
Old 08-18-22, 12:29 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
You should think about taking into account top tube length as part of your purchasing process. Posting a budget would be good too.

I also think that holding out for a C&V frame that takes 32mm tires and short reach brakes could be a long task.
Old 08-18-22, 07:35 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Is there a reason why you have to have short reach brakes? Is that because you have short reach superbe brakes that you want to use?

Short reach brakes and 32c tires will likely severely limit the the supply of frames you can use. There are lots of great frames out there that accept 32c tires if you are willing to use "long" reach brakes.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-18-22 at 07:41 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-18-22, 07:55 AM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Trek 670 from 1985

I’ve been on the fence about letting go of this, but I think my Trek 670 from 1985 can take 32mm tyres. https://vintage-trek.com/images/trek/85TrekRacing.pdf

Frame tubes are Reynolds 531cs throughout and has to be one of the nicest-riding bikes I’ve ever owned. Mine is a green 21” frame, and from my recollection: 55.5cm CTC top tube and 53.5cm CTT seat tube.

I even have a superbe brakeset I can use to test out your setup, if you’re seriously interested.
Old 08-18-22, 09:42 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Is there a reason why you have to have short reach brakes? Is that because you have short reach superbe brakes that you want to use?

Short reach brakes and 32c tires will likely severely limit the the supply of frames you can use. There are lots of great frames out there that accept 32c tires if you are willing to use "long" reach brakes.
My thoughts exactly. Note: the term long/short/mid/normal/etc reach calipers has changed over the years. My Trek's stock Dia Compe calipers are "normal" reach for the 80s, but they would be considered long reach by today's standards.
Old 08-18-22, 10:55 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
I am leaning to decommissioning a 1976 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2 - Japanese made, lugged frame, red. Rear spacing a bit under the 126mm standard.
It will clear 700c X 32mm tires, but as mentioned before, I believe you'll need mid- / long- reach brakes. If of interest i will post photos and details. The paint is not great, but it seems that whatever they used is STILL really soft. So lots of nicks and chips.

cheers.
Old 08-18-22, 03:29 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,967 Posts
The multi tracks are underrated, in my opinion, though they would be tougher to find in road frame sizing.

AD SLE? Inter 10?
bianchi Volpe?
1970s Gitanes/Bertins?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 08-18-22, 05:44 PM
mauricesnail 

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Wow, so many fun responses already!

Originally Posted by Piff
You should think about taking into account top tube length as part of your purchasing process. Posting a budget would be good too.
I also think that holding out for a C&V frame that takes 32mm tires and short reach brakes could be a long task.
Great points, edited my post. Thank you for sharing your thought about how there's not a lot of frames that fit my request. I also have had that thought!

Originally Posted by bikemig

Very helpful, thank you! Those are the brakes I'm using so that is the kind of frame I'm looking for, you're correct ​​​​

Originally Posted by shoota
My thoughts exactly. Note: the term long/short/mid/normal/etc reach calipers has changed over the years. My Trek's stock Dia Compe calipers are "normal" reach for the 80s, but they would be considered long reach by today's standards.
Wonderful, thanks for having thoughts! Can never be too technical on a forum after all, so I've updated my post to say short reach brakes refer to 39-49mm reach as opposed to standard/mid/"normal" 47-57mm, or even long reach (57-grant-peterson-chainstay-length mm)

Originally Posted by mrv
I am leaning to decommissioning a 1976 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2
Much appreciated friend but yeap, woe is me, I'm lookin for a frame meant for actual short not mid just short reach brakes

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
The multi tracks are underrated, in my opinion, though they would be tougher to find in road frame sizing
Multitracks are great hybrids with very cool cantilever brakes! I've fit 700x50 on one I used as a commuter long ago. Maybe someone will be selling a road frame with short reach caliper brakes that can fit 32s and then I can buy it!

Originally Posted by Cynikal
I have this for sale currently.
Mmmayyybeee, not thrilled about the threadless stem but the frame sure is nice lookin

Originally Posted by panzerwagon
I’ve been on the fence about letting go of this, but I think my Trek 670 from 1985 can take 32mm tyres.
Cool I'll send ya a pm

Last edited by mauricesnail; 08-18-22 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-18-22, 07:21 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by mauricesnail
Wow, so many fun responses already!

Great points, edited my post. Thank you for sharing your thought about how there's not a lot of frames that fit my request. I also have had that thought!
I really think you ought to concern yourself with more important frame geometry attributes than short reach calipers. Trail, wheel flop, head/seat/top tube length, bottom bracket drop, chainstay length. Y'know, the usual suspects. Buying a frame specifically with 32mm tires and short reach calipers will not mean that it will ride the way you want. Good luck finding what you want!
Old 08-19-22, 12:55 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I have one of those (likely rare) frames. My ‘87 Marinoni Sports Tourer just clears true 32mm (about 3mm clearance for these Compass that measure 32.5) with short reach calipers. Pads need to be all the way down front and rear. Good luck finding something that meets those criteria. This one is NOT for sale. FWIW, l also use long-reach Tektro 556’s (559 predecessor) on this bike in it’s 650Bx38 setup (second photo; all my brakes have KS pads). I’ve been using the latter for over 1000 miles this year. Plenty of steep and long hills in Seattle for comparison, and there’s no obvious winner between them for braking.

You’ll appreciate brake levers with a second QR to clear the 32 (or 38) tires.

Last edited by Dfrost; 08-19-22 at 12:51 PM.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 08-19-22, 06:52 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
You will need about 14.25 inches between axle and brake mounting hole on frame and fork. I may have a frame in your size that will work. I will mock it up to verify.

**edit** My frame is a no go. Front fits just fine but rear, which is 14.5" spacing, wont reach. Since the 700Cx32mm tire forces you to run the caliper at maximum reach you really dont have any range to work with. Pretty much has to be right at 14.25" both front and rear. Hope you find something!

Last edited by Insidious C.; 08-19-22 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 01:26 PM
dukeofearl 

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 41 Posts
if the op passes on it, i might be interested in that trek frame. looking for a frame for a set of 650b wheels i've got laying around...
Old 08-22-22, 02:36 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeofearl
if the op passes on it, i might be interested in that trek frame. looking for a frame for a set of 650b wheels i've got laying around...
Waiting for a definitive yay or nay from OP— will let you know, thanks.
Old 08-22-22, 05:53 PM
mauricesnail 

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
I have one of those (likely rare) frames.
Your Marinoni came up more than once digging through the forums here for possible 32mm compatible bike, that it swaps to 650s made me curious if my Riv Bleriot could be a 650b-to-700c conversion. 25's will work but 32s rub under any caliper lower than the fork crown. Tinkering is almost as fun as riding!

Originally Posted by Insidious C.
My frame is a no go. Front fits just fine but rear, which is 14.5" spacing, wont reach. Since the 700Cx32mm tire forces you to run the caliper at maximum reach you really dont have any range to work with. Pretty much has to be right at 14.25" both front and rear. Hope you find something!
Thanks for investigating! Where was it too tight on the rear? In this road bike thought experiment I've considered the relative ease of retorching the brake/chainstay bridges to more appropriate spots.

Originally Posted by dukeofearl
Originally Posted by panzerwagon
Waiting for a definitive yay or nay from OP— will let you know, thanks.
You have my blessing
Old 08-23-22, 01:37 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by mauricesnail
Thanks for investigating! Where was it too tight on the rear? In this road bike thought experiment I've considered the relative ease of retorching the brake/chainstay bridges to more appropriate spots.
The 700Cx35 tires I had available to test fit had good clearance. The issue in the rear is your Superbe caliper at full 49mm won't fully reach the braking surface of the rim. You could redo the brake bridge or use a drop bolt. Or just keep looking. This frame is an 81 Lotus Odyssey, 22" (56mm) seat tube measured center to top. You can see below that the front brake pads are mounted higher in the slot compared to the rear brake pads. For reference the calipers in the pic are Shimano 600 57mm reach.

Old 08-23-22, 03:06 PM
dukeofearl 

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 41 Posts
hey panzerwagon, hopefully by tomorrow i'll be able to check my messages. can't yet since i'm a new member.
Likes For dukeofearl: