Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeless setup - valve doesn't seem to be seating securely

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-22, 06:44 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts

I'm trying to fit a Joes No Flats kit (https://www.wiggle.co.uk/joes-no-fla...it-eco-sealant) onto Merida Comp TR (https://www.merida-bikes.com/en-gb/b.../big-trail-400) for the first time.

I've wrapped the tape twice, with the overlap, so the valve has 4 layers of tape.
When I'm fitting it, the hole for the valve is the width of the valve, so the silicon seal block doesn't seem to wedge into the gap.
When filling the tyre with air, I'm hearing/feeling a lot of air coming out around the outside of the valve, so I don't think it's seating well. I can't tighten the valve into the hole further.
I can pump it up to about 20psi using a fairly basic floor pump (not a high volume tubeless), and it'll deflate from that 20psi within a few minutes.

So have I just made a mess of putting the hole in the tape for the valve, or would I expect this to happen and for the sealant to fix it later?
Old 08-18-22, 02:01 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Where the valve goes through the inside of the rim, that part of the rim has a different profile (curve) depending on the Manufacturer and wheel model.
It's far better to purchase the valve from your wheel manufacturer for the actual model you have.

Opting for a universal valve, may work fine, or not!

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 08-18-22, 02:12 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Air hissing out at the valve doesn't necessarily mean that the valve isn't seated well at the rim bed. If your tape job isn't well done air can escape at any spoke hole and then will follow the path of least resistance to the valve stem where it will leak out.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-19-22, 05:35 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Air hissing out at the valve doesn't necessarily mean that the valve isn't seated well at the rim bed. If your tape job isn't well done air can escape at any spoke hole and then will follow the path of least resistance to the valve stem where it will leak out.
So my best bet it to just to redo the entire tape and see if that helps?
Old 08-19-22, 02:50 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
My first tact would be to just keep re-inflating and spinning, see if the sealant eventually fills the gaps.
Old 08-19-22, 05:00 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
So my best bet it to just to redo the entire tape and see if that helps?
Your best bet is to closely examine your tape job to see if there is a possibility that there is a gap somewhere. Check your work