Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Refurbishing 1998 TREK 6000

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-22, 10:19 AM
Clackavosticus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

I have a TREK 6000 (hardtail) MTB that I bought new in 1998 which I am thinking of refurbishing after having it sit unused for a few years. The local TREK shop quoted me about $500 AUD to do this and they said they might need to replace some parts at extra cost. Is this reasonable? They said things like shock seals might be hard to source requiring replacement of the shocks. Anyone know if the shocks that came standard on this model still have parts? - they are Rockshox.

Do you think I should just bin it and buy a new bike? I saw on the TREK Fyshwick Website budget TREK hardtails for around $1500 which would be within budget.... I like the idea of having disk brakes for example so a new bike is appealing but if I could refurbish my old bike at reasonable cost I'd be happy to keep it.

What are suggestions as to what I should do?

Last edited by Clackavosticus; 12-28-22 at 10:39 AM.
Likes For Clackavosticus:
Old 12-28-22, 10:38 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
If you like stripping a bike down to a bare frame & replacing all the consumables and understanding everything about the bike, adjusting/fiddling with shifters & derailleurs & brakes etc., greasing headsets and installing a new bottom bracket, then you can do that quite inexpensively on this sort of bike. You could even replace the suspension fork with a rigid fork and make it into a sort of gravel or touring bike.

If you don't enjoy that so much, then it sounds like a new bike would make more sense, getting those disc brakes and new tech.

I'm more of the former, but that's just me. Nothing wrong with a new bike, there's a fun excitement that comes with that too.
Old 12-28-22, 10:41 AM
Clackavosticus

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
If you like stripping a bike down to a bare frame & replacing all the consumables and understanding everything about the bike, adjusting/fiddling with shifters & derailleurs & brakes etc., greasing headsets and installing a new bottom bracket, then you can do that quite inexpensively on this sort of bike. You could even replace the suspension fork with a rigid fork and make it into a sort of gravel or touring bike.

If you don't enjoy that so much, then it sounds like a new bike would make more sense, getting those disc brakes and new tech.

I'm more of the former, but that's just me. Nothing wrong with a new bike, there's a fun excitement that comes with that too.
I really don't want to get my hands dirty - I want to get the shop to do the refurbishment. Could getting them to do it still be cost effective?
Old 12-28-22, 10:46 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Clackavosticus
I really don't want to get my hands dirty - I want to get the shop to do the refurbishment. Could getting them to do it still be cost effective?
I suppose "cost effective" really depends on your budget, and how much you value that new bike. I suspect you'll end up paying 1/2 to 2/3rds the price of a new bike in the end, as was mentioned most of that would be down to the labor cost the shop will charge, and you'll still have an old bike.

If you don't like getting your hands dirty, I think you should seriously consider that new bike.
Old 12-29-22, 06:46 PM
Clackavosticus

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TREK Excalibur 9

Yesterday I thought I'd do some research and visited my local TREK dealer to see what I could get for about $2000. They showed me a few bikes but my favourite was the Excalibur 9, retailing for $2499 AUD which seemed to be the best bang for your buck.
My plan is to get my old 6000 detailed for $280 at Pushy's under their silver service scheme. I'm going to instruct them not to try refurbishing the shocks unless they are sure they have correct spare parts beforehand. Otherwise it will just be a tuneup of cables and greasing - that should tide me over for the few months it will take for me to save up the funds to get an Excalibur 9 (or whatever equivalent exists) in a few months' time. I could sell off some shares to buy it sooner - but I am trying not to dip into these funds unless there is an emergency (like unscheduled emergency car repairs).
Old 12-30-22, 02:02 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Not familiar with Australia geography.
Maybe you should sell that Trek and get this Classic XTR hardtail:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/jann...ion/1302691023

Just Sayin....
Old 12-30-22, 02:36 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Not familiar with Australia geography.
Maybe you should sell that Trek and get this Classic XTR hardtail:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/jann...ion/1302691023

Just Sayin....
Nice hardtail