Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Value on this original Centurion Semi Pro 55cm

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-23, 08:15 PM
arhant

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Yeti Road Project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Appreciate your thoughts on the value of this 1979 Centurion Semi Pro
Seems to me to in amazing cosmetic shape. 95%+ decals and paint. Sparkling chrome. I cleaned it but did not address any consumables. The only non original parts are the seat and possibly the chain. It has the original Centurion tires which hold air. I checked against the 1979 catalog and it all corresponds.
I hope to not ship this, so probably limiting potential buyers.
Likes For arhant:
Old 06-22-23, 01:11 AM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 109 Posts
Thats a nice one! Good size, excellent cosmetics, and the less common color of the two offered in those years (cobalt blue was the other offering).
Not sure how the Denver market is holding up, but in a hot market you might price it in the $500-$600 range and you wouldn’t be far off
Old 06-22-23, 04:47 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
You need better tires than this to get top dollar. Original tires don't add value to an old bike.

The market is down. I'd value this closer to $300-$400.
Old 06-22-23, 04:53 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
If there’s a semi-pro following out there keeping the values up, I don’t see it. Here’s one that’s been collecting dust on western MI FBM for a while. Listed at $595 and still sitting at $495.

When I see an Ironman going for $275 +/- $50 in similar condition, I have a hard time seeing 2x for this Centurion. Yes the Semi-Pro has a more vintage aesthetic and some sweet chrome lug work. I just don’t see spending more than an Ironman for a bike with 27” schrader valve wheels.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0695154212892/
Likes For plonz:
Old 06-22-23, 07:06 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
I'm on the low end on this beauty, I have this at $300 tops on local sale.
Old 06-22-23, 07:30 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Not disagreeing, just saddened that a bike this clean and original would not be worth more. Chrome lugs get my attention always, but the paint and the pinstriping on this one really add to it. It just exhudes class.

Hopefully it will meet the "right" buyer, someone who will ride it proudly.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 06-22-23, 10:54 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
That bike is way too nice to sell for $300. I think the frame is worth that. I realize local c&v markets are down. So, why settle? If you don't ride it, add an appropriate saddle, lower the stem and hang it on a wall. It's art and looks fantastic.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-25-23, 10:27 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 109 Posts
Plonz has a good point about the Ironman. I think I just have a soft spot for the Semi-Pro, having owned several. If you aren’t willing to ship, that does limit your market quite a bit. Sales on vintage bikes do seem to be down all over. An aging group interested in such things and the rise of e-bikes making a big dent in the number of buyers for such items.

Last edited by orcas island; 06-25-23 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-26-23, 06:26 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Regarding the soft vintage market, I think another factor is that there are lots more current production “practical” bikes than a decade ago - gravel bikes, commuters, single speeds, etc. Vintage bikes are/were good platforms for modifying, but now buyers have more ready-made choices.
Anyway, that’s a lovely bike, and I hope it finds a proper home.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 06-27-23, 07:43 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by orcas island
Thats a nice one! Good size, excellent cosmetics, and the less common color of the two offered in those years (cobalt blue was the other offering).
Not sure how the Denver market is holding up, but in a hot market you might price it in the $500-$600 range and you wouldn’t be far off
I would tend to agree this one is a bit special yet the Denver and it has a bunch of not so great parts drilling some love it some hate it when it comes to after market drilling detailing IMHO I hate it unless it is done great CO market is a bit tough right right now so but has a lot of bike guys so $300 wait bit $400 wait a while work a bit and get $250 soft sell it. This one is all in all a bit tough to one price great bike with a lot of detail it would be shame but one could part almost higher with surprisingly easier Ebay international shipping under current standards right now.

Or the alter list it on here

Last edited by zukahn1; 06-28-23 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-03-23, 08:18 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Vintage Japanese goes for about 1/2 of vintage Italian or something like a US vintage Paramount. So, you can't ask for for a whole lot for something like that. But, the good news is a vintage Japanese bike is usually in better shape than comparable Italian stuff and, since they're less expensive they sell quick.

That's a pretty bike. If it was Italian it would go for $1000. But, it's Japanese. You figure out the rest.

Be good. Have fun.
Old 09-07-23, 09:41 AM
colby7654

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm interested and willing to pickup @ $300. PM me 480-540-4027.
Old 09-07-23, 07:28 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
That is a super pretty bike! Love the chromed lugs, paint color, and the the stripes or whatever you call those lines. First generation suntour cyclone was a fantastic drivetrain. Sadly they are not all that coveted, which is a crying shame.

If you want top dollars you may have to wait until next spring when dreams of the open road are pumping on people's brains. New tires, new handlebar wraps (leather if you are keeping it) and polishing that seatpost would make it shine.