Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Fuji Absolute - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-23, 07:17 AM
JRD

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Composite with Campagnolo Record 11 Groupo - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts
Fuji Absolute - Questions

My brother knows I like to tinker with and rebuild bicycles and he found this at a yard sale and bought it for $5.00. Does anyone have any idea what year these were made and where I might be able to find new decals. I would like to restore to original condition if I can. I may just clean it as best I can but I cannot find another one like it online with these forks and if they were bad forks that may be the reason why

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-23-23, 08:16 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I believe, based on some quick research, that the bike debuted in 1986. Here's the catalog page and it shows the MSRP, which was a little over $200.00 I believe, for the men's model.
Old 06-23-23, 08:35 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
To answer your question about the fork, it is likely a replacement. It came with a painted fork in '86 thru '89, and it is probably a 1986. Why? The most likely reason would be it was damaged. And because of that the frame should also be checked thoroughly to ensure it isn't damaged. Front end collisions often damage not just the fork, but the frame tubing. Looking at the photos, it isn't glaringly obvious that there's damage to the downtube, but you should check it closely. Put a straight edge on the tube in between the head tube and the cable stops. A slight bend doesn't mean the frame is trash, but be aware that it is there.

As far as restoring it and finding decals, you can search ebay for decals, they frequently are posted there. Not sure about specific decals for that model. To me it isn't a candidate for restoration, but a good one to just clean up and ride.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 06-23-23, 11:06 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That's a replacement fork. I'd check for frame damage. Other than that, I wouldn't sink much money into getting this into safe, riding shape.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-23-23, 07:56 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
One good thing about VALite and a short head tube is the frame (sans bent fork) can probably withstand a head-on collision pretty well.

Sink very, very little money in this one.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-24-23, 07:22 AM
JRD

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Composite with Campagnolo Record 11 Groupo - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5

Originally Posted by TugaDude
To answer your question about the fork, it is likely a replacement. It came with a painted fork in '86 thru '89, and it is probably a 1986. Why? The most likely reason would be it was damaged. And because of that the frame should also be checked thoroughly to ensure it isn't damaged. Front end collisions often damage not just the fork, but the frame tubing. Looking at the photos, it isn't glaringly obvious that there's damage to the downtube, but you should check it closely. Put a straight edge on the tube in between the head tube and the cable stops. A slight bend doesn't mean the frame is trash, but be aware that it is there.

As far as restoring it and finding decals, you can search ebay for decals, they frequently are posted there. Not sure about specific decals for that model. To me it isn't a candidate for restoration, but a good one to just clean up and ride.
Thank you for the Information
Old 06-24-23, 07:23 AM
JRD

Originally Posted by TugaDude
I believe, based on some quick research, that the bike debuted in 1986. Here's the catalog page and it shows the MSRP, which was a little over $200.00 I believe, for the men's model.
Thank you for the information!
Old 06-24-23, 07:26 AM
JRD

Thank you everyone for your replies! I will dismantle, clean and lubricate all parts, wipe the frame down and t-cut it, and reassemble. I love this place, always good info to be had here!
Old 06-24-23, 08:51 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 638 Posts
Not sure this helps much as said the bike is 84/85 and the fork is likely older but Fuji I'm guessing 81' so give or take a year Fuji seemed to have stopped using the full chrome tang forks 82 or so. As for hard dating pretty easy there should be a date code number on the left side of the BB and the fork likely has info on the bottom half of the stearing tube ounce you pull it for service.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 07-03-23, 08:29 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
ValLite is Ishiwata and, that's magical steel. Toss the wheels. The frame, stem, handlebars &, crank are the important stuff.

If it's spaced 126mm in the back you can build it back up with good old fashioned 7 speed stuff. Get new wheels & tires and you're all set.

Be good. Have fun.
Likes For ramzilla: