Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Gitane Record Campy Victory

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-23, 03:50 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Gitane Record Campy Victory

So I have this here Gitane Record bike. It has full Campy with a Victory group. Reynolds 501 tubing. Has it's share of scratches, but not too bad. I might part this out, or restore and ride. Not sure. But what is it worth?

Old 06-23-23, 08:31 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
It's worth more if you disassemble it and sell all the parts individually.

Right now it's a bike with flat tires. You'd have to pay to replace those and be out around $100. And then try to haggle with someone like the guy above for $350 to net $250?

Screw that.

Think of it this way:

frame/fork -- $250

wheelset -- $80

shifters -- $40

brakes -- $40

crankset -- $40

seatpost -- $50

stem -- $30

handlebar -- $15

brake levers -- $30

derailleurs -- $60

pedals -- $20

freewheel cogs -- $25

bottom bracket -- $15

headset -- $15

saddle -- $5

So those are all pretty conservative prices, and they have you over $700, but I think they depend on marketing it on some platform like eBay that would charge you fees. Net, conservatively, $600.

And I think the prices I listed are to sell pretty quickly -- you could probably do considerably better if you're patient. Don't do auctions. Few people these days want to mess around with bids and waiting days for the results. Research and list each part for what you think the market might support and accept offers.

Campagnolo parts always have a good following.
Old 06-24-23, 06:49 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Nice looking bike but I’m closer to $250 +/- $25. 501 frame. Needs new skins, tape and saddle at minimum. Maybe the French cachet commands more than this but I’m not thinking so on a mid-range bike.

The eBay part-out above is a tempting route. Good estimates except for the frame/fork which looks $100 too high to me (remember someone is eating $50 shipping on this). Unless you’re a hardened eBayer, fees, postage, haggling and profit-by-a-000-cuts can quickly dull the luster of this avenue.
Old 06-24-23, 06:49 AM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
It's worth more if you disassemble it and sell all the parts individually.

Right now it's a bike with flat tires. You'd have to pay to replace those and be out around $100. And then try to haggle with someone like the guy above for $350 to net $250?

Screw that.

Think of it this way:

frame/fork -- $250

wheelset -- $80

shifters -- $40

brakes -- $40

crankset -- $40

seatpost -- $50

stem -- $30

handlebar -- $15

brake levers -- $30

derailleurs -- $60

pedals -- $20

freewheel cogs -- $25

bottom bracket -- $15

headset -- $15

saddle -- $5

So those are all pretty conservative prices, and they have you over $700, but I think they depend on marketing it on some platform like eBay that would charge you fees. Net, conservatively, $600.

And I think the prices I listed are to sell pretty quickly -- you could probably do considerably better if you're patient. Don't do auctions. Few people these days want to mess around with bids and waiting days for the results. Research and list each part for what you think the market might support and accept offers.

Campagnolo parts always have a good following.
I’ll take the other side of the argument… add up all the time it takes you to pack all these items and take to shipper, packing materials, photo and list items, answer questions. Unless your time is worth like $3/hr you will not make $600 let alone $50. Do the calculations and you will see netting the $250 after tires or selling as is will net you more. otherwise everyone would be making a small fortune selling old bike parts , right? Wrong!
Old 06-24-23, 07:12 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Downtube shifter bikes are having a really hard time these days. Everyone is selling their pandemic bike purchases at firesale prices, and that drives the rest of the market down to the point where it's just not worth it anymore.

This one has eye-catching paint and a chrome fork, but Reynolds 501 tubing and the Triomphe group are not highly valued these days, at least not where I live.

A year or two ago, $300-400 would not be unreasonable. Today, I'm thinking $200 tops, and $150 for a quick sale.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 06-24-23, 08:59 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
I have this at about $250-300 on a local Craigslist sale.

This is new enough that it probably is English threading, if that makes a difference.
Old 06-24-23, 09:17 AM
Jicafold

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowride79
I’ll take the other side of the argument… add up all the time it takes you to pack all these items and take to shipper, packing materials, photo and list items, answer questions. Unless your time is worth like $3/hr you will not make $600 let alone $50. Do the calculations and you will see netting the $250 after tires or selling as is will net you more. otherwise everyone would be making a small fortune selling old bike parts , right? Wrong!
Well, I already sell bike parts on Ebay. I sell a few parts a week and have over 50 listed. Some Mondays I go to the post office with 5 or 6 packages. Amazon and the local bike shop gives me all by boxes, packages, and packing material, foam and bubble wrap for free. Post office is close by also. Besdies, if I am wrapping parts while watching Dancing with the Stars in the evening that is not wasted time. I would just be sitting on my butt anyays. So I would disagree with your assessment.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
That's Triomphe, not Victory..
I did not know it was Triomphe, so thank you.

I have a pile of 700c tires all of which are like new, so replacement tires are essentially free.

But yes, I imagine there is a slim market for this. I'll probably part it out. Thank you.

Last edited by Jicafold; 06-24-23 at 09:26 AM.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 06-24-23, 02:19 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
I got a vote for keeping the bike, if you like the ride and it fits. It's a good looking one and doesn't appear to need much restoration-wise, especially if you got the tires already. Campy Triomphe does have some value, bit it's not a group I'd be looking to make a buncha money with.
Old 06-24-23, 03:32 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
You can look up the various components on velobase.com to get proper descriptions.
Old 07-09-23, 08:54 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Another beautiful wall hanger.

You would have better luck selling it if you could fit brand new tires on it & make it rideable.

Oh well. Be good. Have fun.