Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Vertical Bike Storage

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Vertical Bike Storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-23, 05:55 PM
cegerer
^ * * ^ * * ^

Bikes: 1977 Tom Kellogg Nr. 27 - 1984 Bob Jackson - 1987 Alpineer - 1999 Bianchi - 2002 LeMond Buenos Aries- 2007 Specialized Tarmac Pro - 2017 Mongoose Argus Comp FatBike - 2024 Gravity 29er 1-Speed Monstercross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 94 Posts
I know, not vertical in the traditional sense but maybe an option.

Likes For cegerer:
Old 12-17-23, 07:39 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Hanging by the front wheel is easier. Just lift the rear wheel off the ground a couple of inches, and the hand on the handlebar finds the hook. Rear wheel hang means more lifting, of the heavier end.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 12-17-23, 07:41 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Camera angle makes it look like the bikes are hanging from the pedal of the bike above

Bonus points for putting the chain on the big ring for the pic.

Originally Posted by cegerer
I know, not vertical in the traditional sense but maybe an option.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 12-17-23 at 09:07 PM.
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 12-17-23, 08:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,573 Times in 7,336 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
A philosopher would contemplate whether that is vertical or horizontal bike storage.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-17-23, 08:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,573 Times in 7,336 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Camera angle makes it look like the bikes are hanging from the pedal of the bike above
Heh. It most certainly does. Good eye.
Old 12-18-23, 12:27 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Which hooks are these and where'd you get them?

Also
i appreciate all the great responses.
Presently pondering the cheap 1/2" thread hooks still and the above if I can find them.
Liked the Decathlon hooks but they didn't seem to be available in the USA

Thanks again everyone!
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 12-18-23, 12:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
I'd you use simple hooks and hand em on a wall, just recognize that the rubber will tear on them. It always does. Even the durable coated ones.
Also, the hooks will bend down over time. It's inevitable.

Buy heavy duty hooks. They will delay the inevitable listed above.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-18-23, 02:46 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Which hooks are these and where'd you get them?

Also
i appreciate all the great responses.
Presently pondering the cheap 1/2" thread hooks still and the above if I can find them.
Liked the Decathlon hooks but they didn't seem to be available in the USA

Thanks again everyone!
The ones I used are from Halfords (a UK-based auto parts shop that is active in Ireland too), they're made by "motrax", it's all part of the Kingfisher group (I think?), so Castorama and Feu Vert (France) would also have them. I don't know what the US / N. America equivalent would be, maybe Walmart or Home Depot or Target?

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I'd you use simple hooks and hand em on a wall, just recognize that the rubber will tear on them. It always does. Even the durable coated ones.
Also, the hooks will bend down over time. It's inevitable.

Buy heavy duty hooks. They will delay the inevitable listed above.
Exactly, the blue rubber coating doesn't last forever, so be careful lifting them in and out so as not to scratch the wheel.

To hang by the rear tyre, I normally grab the bike by the seat tube & lift it straight up, it's not a problem.

If you have hydraulic discs, hang that bike by the front wheel (so the brake reservoirs are up), that should avoid any air bubble issues.

Instead of plasterboard, on this wall I used MDF knowing I'd be hanging bikes, so I didn't need additional reinforcement spanning studs, and a bike is only 15-20kg max. These hooks seem to distribute the weight pretty well as they're mounted flat against the wall, and they haven't bent yet. If you use a type that inserts a screw as part of the hook directly into the wall, yeah that could be a problem.
Old 12-18-23, 02:54 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Either of these would work, and should be available in the US?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404537126270

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005081168502.html
Old 12-18-23, 02:57 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
If possible I would hang the hooks so the rear wheel remains on the ground. Then there is very little stress on the hook as the bike weight is supported. It also makes it very easy to wheel into the hook. Only slight downside is that you may need different hook heights for specific bikes, but I find it’s not that critical.

I use these hooks which are pretty robust and easy to mount (uk based)

https://gearhooks.com/collections/gearhooks-bike-hooks-and-bike-storage-racks

Last edited by PeteHski; 12-18-23 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-18-23, 05:33 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I used a similar solution when I was tight on space using BBB branded hooks. However, in my case I had to place hooks at different heights because otherwise the bars of one bike hit the next bike saddle. Even then it was a PITA to remove the down facing bikes and I almost always needed to remove one of the upward facing bikes next to it to be able to remove it without hitting anything. I kept using it like this because I was tight on space.

When I moved and finally had a proper garage with space to spare, I used the same hooks with more space between them and all bikes hanging upright. I just place them a varying heights to avoid the bars of one bike hitting the next one. This is less space efficient, but allows me to easily remove or place any bike on whatever hook I want.

This is my current setup:

Last edited by Amt0571; 12-18-23 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-18-23, 09:28 AM
Paul Waque 

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
What I have found with wall hook storage
-I have has a problem with an air/oil front shock leaking air when the bike was hung vertically.
- longer wheelbase mountain bikes are a bit floppy if the hooks are set so the rear wheel is on the ground
- when the rubber on the hooks break off, inner tube sections make good padding for the hooks.

A bit off topic but if you have a tandem:a bike pulley hoist lift to the ceiling works well. The hoist acts as a functional work stand when the bike is lowered part way.
Likes For Paul Waque:
Old 12-18-23, 10:26 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Waque
What I have found with wall hook storage
-I have has a problem with an air/oil front shock leaking air when the bike was hung vertically.
- longer wheelbase mountain bikes are a bit floppy if the hooks are set so the rear wheel is on the ground
- when the rubber on the hooks break off, inner tube sections make good padding for the hooks.

A bit off topic but if you have a tandem:a bike pulley hoist lift to the ceiling works well. The hoist acts as a functional work stand when the bike is lowered part way.
If a fork is leaking when you hang the bike vertically you need to, at least, replace the fork seals. If the fork is leaking it also means dust/dirt/water can get inside and that means it will get destroyed in a short time (if it's not already beyond repair).

Hanging the bikes by the front wheel is, in fact, good for the forks because that makes sure the foam rings at the top absorb the oil that ensures the fork operates with good lubrication.

If you have the bike stored horizontally, it must rely only on the splashing that occurs when you ride the bike.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 12-18-23, 01:42 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I have a Topeak Swing Up that is basically a wheel hook that swivels so that the bike can be rotated flat against the wall. It works OK - the swivel feature saves me a small amount of room in my crowded basement bike storage/laundry/HVAC/Workshop/Zwift room. I could've probably accomplished the same with a basic hook.

I hang my bike by the front wheel so that the handlebars are up higher and out of the way. I'm not sure it matters which wheel it is hung by though. This might be more difficult if you're hanging heavy bikes, but for a light road bike it shouldn't really matter.

This forum always seems to have a few folks who stress about getting air into hydraulic lines and/or damaging carbon fiber by hanging bikes either upside down or vertically. My bike has carbon frame, 45mm carbon wheels and hydro brakes and I've never had any issues with hanging it.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 12-18-23, 03:36 PM
cegerer
^ * * ^ * * ^

Bikes: 1977 Tom Kellogg Nr. 27 - 1984 Bob Jackson - 1987 Alpineer - 1999 Bianchi - 2002 LeMond Buenos Aries- 2007 Specialized Tarmac Pro - 2017 Mongoose Argus Comp FatBike - 2024 Gravity 29er 1-Speed Monstercross

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01

Bonus points for putting the chain on the big ring for the pic.
The bikes are always ridden on the big ring - it's flat to gently rolling hills here in Florida
Old 12-18-23, 04:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts

Steadyrack.

I have 7 bikes hanging on a wall and the 4 Steadyracks will replace the 4 hooks on the wall that hold bikes that are used most frequently. The swinging feature is really nice as is being able to load/unload at an angle due to the floor bikes being right in front of the hanging bikes.
Gonna install em this winter so they can be used when bikes get rolled out of the basement from storage/maintenance.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-21-23, 07:39 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Again, thanks for the suggestions.

I went with 6 of the cheapie hooks from Lowes and 1 larger square hook for the fat bike.
Installation: 20 min
Location, 12" from ceiling, and 12" apart because, apparently that's my stud spacing for some reason.
Current bikes are spaced 24" apart from front wheel with room for fleet growth with the 3 hooks in between (from rear wheel)
Wood studs made the installation easier.

Total cost: $30
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 12-21-23, 07:42 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
I like the swing feature of these Topeak mounts. Installing on a board with t-nuts makes spacing easy.

Vertical bike rack
Likes For cybirr:
Old 12-21-23, 11:51 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Again, thanks for the suggestions.

I went with 6 of the cheapie hooks from Lowes and 1 larger square hook for the fat bike.
Installation: 20 min
Location, 12" from ceiling, and 12" apart because, apparently that's my stud spacing for some reason.
Current bikes are spaced 24" apart from front wheel with room for fleet growth with the 3 hooks in between (from rear wheel)
Wood studs made the installation easier.

Total cost: $30
Photographic evidence is required. At your leisure, of course.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-22-23, 07:57 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Hang by the rear wheel. Getting the front into a hook is a righteous PITA and getting it out even worse
JMO of course
I have not found that to be the case. I have 8 bikes hanging by hooks in the ceiling in the garage, I alternate them, one hangs by the front the next one by the rear and so on, doing it that way takes up less space on the ceiling and they don't bang into each other. It's not difficult at all to hang a bike by the front wheel, I'm 70 years old, if I can do it anyone can do it!