Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pretty worn Trek 970, how to build?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 09:05 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts

I've done the drop bar, I've done the upright, and even a flat bar for a time... what's next? The main thing I'd like to replace is the fork, I think it came with a sunlite fork on there. I know all the more common options like surly troll, carver, soma, dimension, and ofcourse sunlite. The sunlite isn't terrible feeling, decent weight, and really almost kinda resembles the original "Big Fork" that would have come on it. But I feel like this frame deserves something nicer. I'll see if the co-op has an original one hanging around. I do really like the look of the surly long haul/ pack rat looking forks with the lugs, feel like it'd look good with this frame. But the A2C is like 376 or something on those, probably not a good match. Any one have different ideas? Hope it's not against all that is C&V, but I'd even entertain the idea of a front disc brake setup.

As for the frame itself, maybe repaint the top tube chainstays and lower seat stays...or just get it powder coated. Leaving it be is always an option I know, but that's not the point of this one. Biggest damage is that pretty sizeable ding right above that horrible chain suck rash. Likely not hurting anything but I'd like to address it somehow if I'm going to paint. Any input or ideas welcome! Thanks guys!
Old 12-21-23, 10:24 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by RALEIGH_COMP

I've done the drop bar, I've done the upright, and even a flat bar for a time... what's next? The main thing I'd like to replace is the fork, I think it came with a sunlite fork on there. I know all the more common options like surly troll, carver, soma, dimension, and ofcourse sunlite. The sunlite isn't terrible feeling, decent weight, and really almost kinda resembles the original "Big Fork" that would have come on it. But I feel like this frame deserves something nicer. I'll see if the co-op has an original one hanging around. I do really like the look of the surly long haul/ pack rat looking forks with the lugs, feel like it'd look good with this frame. But the A2C is like 376 or something on those, probably not a good match. Any one have different ideas? Hope it's not against all that is C&V, but I'd even entertain the idea of a front disc brake setup.

As for the frame itself, maybe repaint the top tube chainstays and lower seat stays...or just get it powder coated. Leaving it be is always an option I know, but that's not the point of this one. Biggest damage is that pretty sizeable ding right above that horrible chain suck rash. Likely not hurting anything but I'd like to address it somehow if I'm going to paint. Any input or ideas welcome! Thanks guys!
I'm always happy to see someone building up an older Singletrack. They were, and are, great bikes!

Regarding that chainstay gouge...in the back of my mind, I sometimes wonder if doing a fill braze negates the benefit by reintroducing heat stress into the tubing, especially if it is near a joint. I'd love for any frame builders and fellow torch-wielders to weigh in on such a question. Looks like a great, fun project! Keep up updated on where you go from here.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 12-22-23, 02:38 PM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
Two other fork options would be Stridsland or the Crust Clydesdale. As far as the build, you could always electrify it... Here's a beat-to-hell 950 that I plan to have rideable by Christmas.

This is my second electric conversion on a 90's mtb. The first one is a Haro Escape with a Pack Rat fork; in the new year I'll be swapping all its parts onto another 950 frame, and rebuilding the Haro with a Surly 1x1 fork and some kind of BMX/klunker bars.
Likes For eeuuugh:
Old 12-22-23, 07:00 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

eeuuugh I already have my ebike conversion build that is super capable.

Appreciate the suggestion though!
Old 12-22-23, 07:58 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
might be able to find a used fork for that bike on one of the on line sites (whatever) or at a LBS
Old 12-23-23, 05:04 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
I would have the frame restored , repainted and rust removed by a professional framebuilder, then upgrade the transmission with XT 780 T or XT 8000 components and install better wheels and tires as well. Costly but well worth the effort to give your trek a second life.
Likes For georges1:
Old 12-24-23, 03:06 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Originally Posted by georges1
I would have the frame restored , repainted and rust removed by a professional framebuilder, then upgrade the transmission with XT 780 T or XT 8000 components and install better wheels and tires as well. Costly but well worth the effort to give your trek a second life.
Hiring a pro frame builder sounds expensive . But either way this frame will get a second life! I think I'm going to get it powder coated. Maybe I'll have it sandblasted first and then attempt to repair those dings with some powder coat friendly filler stuff.

Fork wise, I am still unsure. There's plenty of options out there, but I still have it in my head to do something a bit nicer than typical.
Old 12-24-23, 05:49 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
I'll second the Clydesdale Fork. You wanted something different...
Old 12-24-23, 05:51 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Surly Corner Bar?

Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 12-24-23, 09:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
RALEIGH_COMP - there is this fork with 410mm a to c length.
https://www.bikeman.com/CARV-FK410S-O1009-RK.html
Comes in 1" and 1 1/8".

That look a like a '92 model. The '92 990 came with a suspension fork, the geometry for the 990 and 970 are the same, and a 385mm a to c suspension fork is really small. Not saying a Tange Big Fork a to c isn't 385mm, but just saying that even if it is, the same geometry was used on suspension forks.

I would figure out if a 410mm fork would result in steering geometry I like and go with that if it looks good.
Old 12-24-23, 10:40 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
RALEIGH_COMP - there is this fork with 410mm a to c length.
https://www.bikeman.com/CARV-FK410S-O1009-RK.html
Comes in 1" and 1 1/8".

That look a like a '92 model. The '92 990 came with a suspension fork, the geometry for the 990 and 970 are the same, and a 385mm a to c suspension fork is really small. Not saying a Tange Big Fork a to c isn't 385mm, but just saying that even if it is, the same geometry was used on suspension forks.

I would figure out if a 410mm fork would result in steering geometry I like and go with that if it looks good.
Yes i had the Carver fork listed in my first post, I actually have one all ready on my one of my rockhoppers. They are great forks! Very much appreciate the suggestion! Here's a picture of said rockhopper with the Carver fork on it.

Old 12-25-23, 02:38 AM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Surly Corner Bar?

I have been super curious about those bars! Depending on the fork, this could be a good option for sure.

Originally Posted by Korina
I'll second the Clydesdale Fork. You wanted something different...
I have thought about this, but it's such a nice light steel frame, be nice to keep it light up front too.

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/som...=774#attr=1283

Something like that would be nice. 400 A2C is not terrible, nice fork crown, eyelets, decent tire clearance. Could that work? I think the fork is designed for 700c but lots of modern forks and frames are 650b/700c interchangeable. 26inch too?
Old 12-26-23, 03:15 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
@RALEIGH_COMP You could use a 26" wheel in that fork, but you'd have to use a disc brake, which is heavier but doable.
Old 12-26-23, 03:50 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
I put bullhorn-like extensions on my Ritchey mountain bike bars 30 years ago when I bought the bike, and I have been absolutely delighted with the combination of the extensions and the 4-finger motorcycle-style Shimano brake levers. I also cut about 3 com off of each end of the Ritchey bars.

CycleAware mirror on my Giro XEN helmet.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-26-23, 06:42 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by RALEIGH_COMP
Hiring a pro frame builder sounds expensive . But either way this frame will get a second life! I think I'm going to get it powder coated. Maybe I'll have it sandblasted first and then attempt to repair those dings with some powder coat friendly filler stuff.

Fork wise, I am still unsure. There's plenty of options out there, but I still have it in my head to do something a bit nicer than typical.
I've not had a bike powder coated, but it's probably a good idea if the bike is going to be ridden off-road. I think just about any powder coat shop will sandblast the frame for you. In fact, I suspect that they'd prefer to do that to be sure the surface has been properly prepped. Just make sure that they are clear about which holes to plug up if they don't usually do bike frames.

I stripped and repainted (rattle can with rattle can 2K clearcoat) my '95 Trek 990 and was/am happy with how it looked. But the paint will chip pretty easily - and that's annoying. I probably put on too thick of a paint coat. So I've looked at powder coat as a likely option for the next project.
Likes For Jay Turberville: