Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Helmet Recommendation for use with Trailer?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 08:15 AM
Nowbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone! Our family loves biking together, but recently we've run into a bit of a comfort issue. Our two girls, age 4 and 14 months, love riding in their trailer, but they are always complaining about their helmets. Right now we are using the Giro Me2 with both girls and we're finding that the back of the helmet juts out enough to either push the helmet down over their eyes, or makes them have to sit with their heads pushed forward, or sit slouched...and all three of those things get kind of annoying after a while.

I'm thinking that a kids helmet with a thinner/fuller back (like a skateboarding helmet) might be the way to go, but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas or advice first. A couple helmets that have been mentioned to us to solve this problem are:

Specialized Small Fry

Casco Mini Pro (only available in the UK, so we'd have to get it shipped here which would cost a lot...so this isn't ideal, but it's exactly what we had in mind)

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!
Old 06-23-10, 08:32 AM
Nowbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also came across the Bern Nina helmet, and am wondering if anyone has used it?
Old 06-23-10, 09:47 AM
Fibber

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unfortunately, what you describe is a big problem with most trailers and why kids object to wearing their helmets. A few of the high end units include 'helmet pockets' in the seatback that allow the child's back to remain straight. Most do not. A serious oversight, but I guess how else do you differentiate your top products from the competition or the lower priced trailers in your own lineup?

The best solution I found was to make a mid to lower back pad that moved my daughter's torso forward an inch or two, with the helmet now resting against the original seatback. That kept her head in line with her back, and the helmet objection disappeared. The other option would be to cut into and sew a recess into the sling seat to make a helmet pocket, but I didn't want to go that route.
Old 06-26-10, 07:51 PM
enine

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
We had the same issue and the Bern skateboard style helmets were what the LBS recommended, they have worn them for over a year now and much happier.
Old 06-26-10, 11:35 PM
Joyfulmama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We did the pillow behind the back trick and that really helped.
Old 06-28-10, 07:40 AM
Nowbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. We already ordered nutcase helmets for the girls (similar to the Bern helmets), and will try a pillow as well when they arrive.