Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I fell...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-16, 02:07 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Best to get right back to it. Fear's a funny thing. The longer you leave it a lot of times the harder it is to face later. Go back to the area where you fell and see if you can determine exactly why you fell. Then you'll know wgat caused the fall and thus what to watch out for in similar areas. Think of it as a learning experience.

Edit. Looks like the wood might have been damp/slimy. I've ridden surfaces like that and it'sas bad if not worse than black ice. A slight imprefection such as a raised board can deflect your front wheel just enough that down you go - FASZT.

Cheers

Last edited by Miele Man; 07-08-16 at 02:12 PM. Reason: watched video after posting
Old 07-08-16, 02:45 PM
Liz33

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sorry you fell. Thankfully you didn't hurt yourself too much and your bike is ok, but i Know it can be scary. Don't think too much on What could have gone worst because you'll get more concern about riding again. Try to see if there's something you can improve to minimize the risk of falling and go have fun.
Old 07-08-16, 03:01 PM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have nothing to fear but fear itself! +++ for getting back on and riding, even if just a leisurely cruise.
Had my share of crashes too. Even flipped an ATV, going sideways at speed, in a corner, and it rolled over let's just say "a few times".

I find that the fear and concern over a future crash can be minimized by examining what caused it, and what you'll do differently next time to prevent it. As someone already said "Doctor it hurts when I do xxx....Don`t do XXX again!"
Even if not 100% sure what caused it, make an educated guess, tell yourself how you will handle a similar situation, get back on, and ride.

Return to the scene of the crime.
Some people that I know will NEVER ride through their old crash area ever again. I find that doing so, even stopping and examining the terrain, the angle, the pavement, whatever, is a very good way to get over it. Say to yourself, "Right there is where I landed.....I am NOT doing that again!" It gets that monkey off of your back for good.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-09-16, 05:02 PM
morfeeis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I had my first fall tiday: i was pulling up to a red light, i unclipped my right foot but tben startec to lean to the left. By the time my brain sais hey stupid i was already on my way to the ground. I somehow unclipped on my way down and got a hand out to break my fall. Was at a stop light a d there was a car to my left, i couldn't look in their direction or in the eye, didn't look at the people across from me too. My ego hurt more than anything else....
Old 07-09-16, 07:06 PM
FrankJ

Bikes: Nishiki Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morfeeis
I had my first fall tiday: i was pulling up to a red light, i unclipped my right foot but tben startec to lean to the left. By the time my brain sais hey stupid i was already on my way to the ground. I somehow unclipped on my way down and got a hand out to break my fall. Was at a stop light a d there was a car to my left, i couldn't look in their direction or in the eye, didn't look at the people across from me too. My ego hurt more than anything else....
One of the reasons I don't want to go clipless.

I also have a history of dislocating my shoulder; I've had surgery on both shoulders, so I'm very afraid of falling on an outstretched arm.
Old 07-09-16, 10:19 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6227 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,373 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankJ
One of the reasons I don't want to go clipless.
It happens. It happens less as you get used to the clipless pedals. I'm so used to using clipless that I can't figure out toeclips anymore.

I also have a history of dislocating my shoulder; I've had surgery on both shoulders, so I'm very afraid of falling on an outstretched arm.
Well, then don't stretch out your arms. It's a learned behavior. Look up at post 18. I have a lot of experience with falling off my bike for a variety of reasons. Each and every time I crash, I keep my arms and legs inside the vehicle...which isn't that easy when the vehicle is narrower than the rider

But, in all honesty, I don't throw out my arms or legs when I start to fall. I know that I can't "catch" myself and that if I try, I'm going to end up damaging bits that I might have use for later. Let the bike take as much of the blow as possible.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-09-16, 11:05 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckq4yoo
Not so bad..... but cuts and bruises on my knees and palms. ........... I'm a little bit scared to get back on........... how do you guys do it after something like this?
That's part of what can make cycling a sport.... instead of just an activity. With every sport there is also injury, pain, and if done correctly... a little bit of fear. And as with any sport participation builds toughness, endurance, and self-confidence.

I've fallen in the past... and I know I will fall again. I accept the fact that cycling is a blood sport. There will be injuries! Once you accept the sport for what it is... and allow yourself to become comfortable with the idea of injury... you can set aside any fear and enjoy yourself.
Old 07-10-16, 05:02 PM
FrankJ

Bikes: Nishiki Sport

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Well, then don't stretch out your arms. It's a learned behavior. Look up at post 18. I have a lot of experience with falling off my bike for a variety of reasons. Each and every time I crash, I keep my arms and legs inside the vehicle...which isn't that easy when the vehicle is narrower than the rider

But, in all honesty, I don't throw out my arms or legs when I start to fall. I know that I can't "catch" myself and that if I try, I'm going to end up damaging bits that I might have use for later. Let the bike take as much of the blow as possible.
I don't know how you can do this. It seems like such an automatic reflex to put your arm out when falling, like something you can't control...
Old 07-10-16, 08:46 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6227 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,373 Posts
I don't know how you can do this. It seems like such an automatic reflex to put your arm out when falling, like something you can't control...
While it might be an automatic reflex, it's not good for you. Even putting out your arms to "catch" yourself when walking can result in a severe injury. Doing so at bicycle speed is even worse.

But all it is is training. Teach yourself not to put out your arms and to hang onto the bars in a crash. It's automatic now but I did have to learn not to do it. One way to learn is to tell yourself constantly not to 'brace for impact'. Bracing for impact is exactly the wrong thing to do in any crash...bike, cars, or walking.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-10-16, 09:29 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just yell "I've fallen and I can't up!" Then somebody calls me Mrs Fletcher(??) and says they are on their way
Old 07-11-16, 06:16 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Curious, what exactly caused the fall? Looks to me like you were going pretty straight over that bridge...
Originally Posted by mongol777
Had similar close calls on Moonlander with 4.6" and 4.8" tires and on my mid-fat Krampus with 3" - fat tires traction is unbelievable and makes me sloppy some times so slight turn of the handlebar, a bit off balance move and you can be flying on slick wooden bridge, over thick root or slimed stone
I'm not totally certain, but I know I was on the left side of the bridge and I think I was trying to center-up a little. It all happened very fast and was shocking.

I took a similar fall with a road bike on a different wood bridge, that was caused by getting on the pedals and kicking-out out the rear wheel.

It's amazing how slick the wet, smooth-wood deck can get.... and amazing how slow I am to learn a lesson.
Old 07-11-16, 06:26 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I figure if you have not fallen, you have not ridden. It can and will happen, I am surprised there have been so few crashed in the tour de france this year... no one wants to crash, but lets face it, if you are not willing to crash, you won't ride...
Old 07-11-16, 07:09 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP, don't let it get in your head. If you are going to ride off-road (or likely even on road) you are going to get dinged up a bit now and then. I was riding single track at Detroit Mountain, MN, last year and went over the bars. Got the wind knocked out of me and a few bruises but rode the rest of the afternoon and frequently thereafter.

Frank, Cyccommute is absolutely right, do not attempt to brace yourself with your hands in a fall. Turn your face away from the fall and tuck your chin to your chest. Keep your hands on the handlebars if you are going down with the bike or tuck them in toward your chest and turn your shoulder slightly into the fall if you are separated from the bike. Try not to hold your breath as you hit. This is a good skill for many sports and life in general.

You can practice anywhere that there is a relatively safe surface (preferably where nobody is watching). Get on your knees and practice falling onto a carpeted floor, padded mat, or grassy turf. Fall to each your right and left several times until you get the hang of it (Be careful with your hx of shoulder injury). If you are very timid about falling, you can start by kneeling on a grassy slope and falling uphill. If you spread the impact out over a larger area of your body surface, it is surprising how much impact can be absorbed with little or no injury.

Another good skill is the shoulder roll which comes into play if you go over the handlebars or get thrown a distance from the bike. Rolling spreads out the impact by allowing your body to decelerate over a greater time period without the grinding effect of sliding.

Old 07-11-16, 07:25 AM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SkunkWerX

Return to the scene of the crime.
Some people that I know will NEVER ride through their old crash area ever again. I find that doing so, even stopping and examining the terrain, the angle, the pavement, whatever, is a very good way to get over it. Say to yourself, "Right there is where I landed.....I am NOT doing that again!" It gets that monkey off of your back for good.
+1.

My worst fall so far was as a beginner; I've been pretty lucky. I had to go home to clean gravel out of my elbow and knee, but I went back the next day to ride the same area. Really helped in overcoming the fear.

Also, if "NOOOOOO" was the strongest thing you yelled as you went over, you're doing better than many.
Old 07-11-16, 07:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckq4yoo
Happened on the river bed
seems like lots of good advice here. just curious tho, do you have a photo of the "riverbed". I'm not sure I understand the hazard(s)