Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Confused! Sram force 22 Cranks BB30 vs PF for BBright

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 11:17 AM
bbqpork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I am purchasing a used 2014 Cervelo R3 framset (Black/Blue) from a friend.
The R3 has a BBright PF30 bottom bracket, and my research shows that the BB30 version of Force22 crankset would work by removing the pre-load tensioner and adding spacers.

So, as I am shopping around the internet and found that Nash bar carries 3 versions of the force22 crankset. GXP, BB30, and PF30. Isn't the PF30 crank the same as BB30?

The PF30 comes with BB and is $100cdn less then the bb30, is the PF30 different compare to the BB30?

I emailed nashbar asking the difference, if they would both fit BBright, and why is the one that comes with bb cheaper?

Their responds was rather short, "PF30 has less demand, so it cheaper."
Unfortunately, they were not able to answer the BBright compatibility, or if the 2 version was the same.

I know the BB30 version would work, but isn't the PF30 is the same crank. It would be stupid to buy the BB30 with no bb for more money if they are the same.

Can anyone confirm this?

SRAM Force 22 PF30 50/34T 11-Speed Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket

SRAM Force 22 BB30 50-34T 11-Speed Crankset
Old 04-08-15, 11:29 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
BB30 cranks work with PF30 bottom brackets, and vice versa.

Yes, it would be stupid to buy the BB30 crank for more money.

Last edited by dr_lha; 04-08-15 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 12:54 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Same crank OP...one comes with the PF30 bottom bracket. BBright is a wider variant of PF30..it uses a PF30 BB. So you want the PF30 version.
For peace of mind, send an email to Nashbar and ask them if the PF30 crank has a longer spindle and if it is plug and play with your BBright Cervelo.
HTH
Old 04-08-15, 01:02 PM
TriEngineer
Fitter of road/ironman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PF30 is merely a short form for Press Fit 30, they are the bottom brackets for BB30. This is what I remember and I am about 75% sure, better have someone else confirm this.
Old 04-08-15, 01:14 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

SRAM Force 22 crankset is supported by BBRight, as it has the longer spindle @Campag4life mentions.

BBright?
Old 04-08-15, 01:34 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TriEngineer
PF30 is merely a short form for Press Fit 30, they are the bottom brackets for BB30. This is what I remember and I am about 75% sure, better have someone else confirm this.
In bold...no...or at least poorly explained. Curious why you posted.
Old 04-08-15, 01:54 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
The SRAM BB30 crankset will not work, because the spindle is too short. Your need either a 24 mm diameter, 86.5 mm long spindle with a 24 mm adapter and a spacer for only the drive side, or you need the same thing with a 30 mm diameter, 86.5 mm long spindle with the PF30 bottom bracket and a spacer for the drive side. One choice for the latter is the FSA BB386 crankset. FSA also makes the spacer for that crank with BBright, but I don't think you will find it on their website. You can probably do all this with a 90 mm long spindle as well. Most importantly, you have to have the longer spindle.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 04-08-15, 01:59 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by dr_lha
SRAM Force 22 crankset is supported by BBRight, as it has the longer spindle @Campag4life mentions.

BBright?
Yes, there is a variant of the Force 22 crank for BBright, but you have to be sure that is the one being offered. Not likely. If you get the genuine BBright compatible crankset, you don't need any spacers, because you will have the right length spindle for your BB shell. The PF30 bottom bracket sleeve will expand to cover the full width of the shell, or you can get one that does.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-08-15, 02:03 PM
rpenmanparker 

From what I see, you will have to get a GXP type Force 22 crank if you want to deal with Nashbar. Then you will need a press fit bottom bracket that adapts the diameter down for a 24 mm spindle and combine this with a spacer on the drive side. Sorry, but that is the best that can be done with what Nashbar is offering (7 different Force 22) cranks. Like I said, if SRAM doesn't make that adapter stuff, FSA does.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-08-15, 02:14 PM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Yes, there is a variant of the Force 22 crank for BBright, but you have to be sure that is the one being offered. Not likely. If you get the genuine BBright compatible crankset, you don't need any spacers, because you will have the right length spindle for your BB shell. The PF30 bottom bracket sleeve will expand to cover the full width of the shell, or you can get one that does.
So what you're saying is that there are three types of SRAM Force 22 cranks:

BB30 version
GXP33 version
BBRight version

Do you have any evidence to back this up? I'm genuinely curious, if you're right, I'm happy to admit that I am mistaken, but I was under the impression that the BB30 version of the crank was compatible with BB30, PF30 and BBRight.

You are right that the GXP version can be used, but it will need adapters. The BB30 version I believe, works without adapters, and is therefore the better choice.

Last edited by dr_lha; 04-08-15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 02:25 PM
dr_lha

All of this confusion is compounded by SRAM's complete lack of information on their website about the technical details of their product. I knew there was a reason why I stick with Shimano!

This page appears to confirm that the BB30 one will work. Apparently that's not true for the Red 22 version.

https://forums.cervelo.com/forums/t/1...px?PageIndex=2

However, the BB30 Force 22 is a welcomed addition. The crankset appears (at least to my naked eye) to have been built around the same framework as the Red Quarq Power Meter, both have the hidden bolt crankarm design and are now using X-Glide R (YAW) rings with the FD. The only difference of course is that the "similar looking" spider does not have the integrated power meter unit. That being said, the axle still has the 30mm diameter axle, and more importantly the longer axle/spindle length to accommodate BBright frames.

Last edited by dr_lha; 04-08-15 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 02:35 PM
carlcurry

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As above, BBRight is a PF30 variant, just wider bottom bracket shell at 79mm - the other **30 are 68mm in width.
Welcome to the world of modern bottom brackets. It'll be annoying at first but you'll end up fine with a little research.
This is from the Park Tools web site...
The BB30 standard was created to allow the use of a crankset with a relatively large 30mm spindle diameter. BB30 frame shells have nominal inside diameter of 42mm
The PF30 standard came after the introduction of the BB30 standard. The shell inside diameter is nominally 46mm. The width of both is 68mm.
You can make many standard cranks work with the right 'adapter' - or check that maybe your R3 already is set up for a 24mm spindle.
If buying a new crank this is an opportunity to use a 30mm spindle. Just an option. Your choice. With a 'standard' spindle you'll have to pay attention to the adapter cups/bottom bracket in use. I decided to use a Campagnolo OverTorque 30mm spindle crank on my R3 despite already having a Campy UltraTorque 'standard' spindle. And despite some questionable engineering on the OverTorque vs UltraTorque (not anything you have to care about) I'm happy with the result. Of all my bikes, the R3 is the stiffest pedaling platform, though not enough different to make me swap the UltraTorque cranks on my other PF30 bikes.
So find the crank you want, ensure there is a BB that will work on BBRight. If you get lucky whatever BB is on the bike right now will also work with your new crank.
Old 04-08-15, 03:18 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

BB30 version
GXP33 version
BBRight version

Do you have any evidence to back this up? I'm genuinely curious, if you're right, I'm happy to admit that I am mistaken, but I was under the impression that the BB30 version of the crank was compatible with BB30, PF30 and BBRight.
According to SRAM's website, there are only 2 models of the crankset – BB30/PF30 and GPX.

According to this website on the issue of BBRight, Complete guide to bottom brackets - BikeRadar USA, "Crank designs that will fit: BBright, BB386 EVO, standard 24mm external-type".

Based on this info, and seeing that the BBRight NDS bearing is pushed outward by 11mm vs. BB30, I don't see how the OP can fit a SRAM Force 22 crankset for his Cervelo. The BB30 spindle is too short, yes?

But I would be interested to hear how, if someone knows...

You can't make the GPX version fit, can you?

Last edited by velociraptor; 04-08-15 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 06:46 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by velociraptor
According to SRAM's website, there are only 2 models of the crankset – BB30/PF30 and GPX.

According to this website on the issue of BBRight, Complete guide to bottom brackets - BikeRadar USA, "Crank designs that will fit: BBright, BB386 EVO, standard 24mm external-type".

Based on this info, and seeing that the BBRight NDS bearing is pushed outward by 11mm vs. BB30, I don't see how the OP can fit a SRAM Force 22 crankset for his Cervelo. The BB30 spindle is too short, yes?

But I would be interested to hear how, if someone knows...

You can't make the GPX version fit, can you?
Yes, the GPX can be fitted to BBright with an adapter that reduces bearing diameter to 24 mm and a drive side spacer. SRAM should offer that. FSA does all in one unit.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-08-15, 06:51 PM
rpenmanparker 

BB30 version
GXP33 version
BBRight version

You are right that the GXP version can be used, but it will need adapters. The BB30 version I believe, works without adapters, and is therefore the better choice.
The BB30 crank spindle is simply too short. I don't know if there is a BBright version of the crank. I thought someone else said that. But if not, then either an FSA BB386 EVO crank or a 24 mm diameter crank in the 86-90 mm length are the only choices.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-08-15, 06:51 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes, the GPX can be fitted to BBright with an adapter that reduces bearing diameter to 24 mm and a drive side spacer. SRAM should offer that. FSA does all in one unit.
Ah, good to know for future reference. Thanks!
Old 04-08-15, 06:55 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
... I don't know if there is a BBright version of the crank. ...
I could't find any reference to BBright for Force 22 on the SRAM site.

It doesn't surprise me if they don't bother with it... I mean, the percentage of bikes with it is pretty small, yes? Who else besides Cervelo?
Old 04-08-15, 06:59 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wait, I take that back...

On the BBright info site, bbright.net, it lists Force 22 as having a model.

But then lower on the page, it lists SRAM's compatible systems as only GXP with adapters...

WTH? Confusing... and why would this not be on SRAM's site?

Last edited by velociraptor; 04-08-15 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 07:00 PM
dr_lha

The BB30 crank spindle is simply too short. I don't know if there is a BBright version of the crank. I thought someone else said that. But if not, then either an FSA BB386 EVO crank or a 24 mm diameter crank in the 86-90 mm length are the only choices.
Except on the Force 22 it's longer. Did you read the Cervelo forum I quoted above? It describes the design of the Force 22 crank as being based on the Quarq crank, which is BBRight compatible.
Old 04-08-15, 07:18 PM
rpenmanparker 

Except on the Force 22 it's longer. Did you read the Cervelo forum I quoted above? It describes the design of the Force 22 crank as being based on the Quarq crank, which is BBRight compatible.
What's longer on Force 22. The BB30 crank? That isn't possible. I don't understand. No one wants a longer crank for BB30 or PF30. That would just engender flex, not good. If they have a longer crank, it is either in the 86-90 mm range like GPX, BB86 or FSA's BB386 EVO. If it just fits BBright, then it would be called BBright. so is it that or not? What I can assure you is that any crankshorter than 79mm won't work, and anything long will need a spacer. Only exactly 79 mm would be called BBright.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 04-08-15 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 07:28 PM
rpenmanparker 

It's simple. SRAM supports BBright with GXP and a spacer or a PF30 BB variant with the slacer built in. You can see that on the FSA web site. The downside is the smaller diameter spindle.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-08-15, 07:31 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What's longer on Force 22. The BB30 crank? That isn't possible. I don't understand. No one wants a longer crank for BB30 or PF30. That would just engender flex, not good. If they have a longer crank, it is either in the 86-90 mm range like GPX, BB86 or FSA's BB386 EVO. If it just fits BBright, then it would be called BBright. so is it that or not? What I can assure you is that any crankshorter than 79mm won't work, and anything long will need a spacer. Only exactly 79 mm would be called BBright.
After reading the page from @dr_iha's link, it looks like the Force 22 BB30 spindle is, in fact, longer.

And further, if you want to use it on a standard 68mm wide BB shell, you'll need a drive-side spacer.

Redonkulous.

Looks like I'll be upgrading to Red 22 next year instead...

Last edited by velociraptor; 04-08-15 at 07:39 PM. Reason: CORRECTION
Old 04-08-15, 07:34 PM
dr_lha

After reading the page from @dr_iha's link, it looks like the Force 22 BB30 crank arm is, in fact, longer.

And further, if you want to use it on a standard 68mm wide BB shell, you'll need a drive-side spacer.

Redonkulous.
Spindle, not crank arm.

this is is the money shot showing the longer spindle. The fix for this: spacers. If you look at SRAMs manual for cranks you'll see a spacer in there and a notice that it's not present on Red 22 cranks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (57.8 KB, 152 views)
Old 04-08-15, 07:35 PM
rpenmanparker 

After reading the page from @dr_iha's link, it looks like the Force 22 BB30 crank arm is, in fact, longer.

Redonkulous.
What link are you looking at?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-08-15, 07:36 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Spindle, not crank arm.

this is is the money shot showing the longer spindle. The fix for this: spacers. If you look at SRAMs manual for cranks you'll see a spacer in there and a notice that it's not present on Red 22 cranks.

Yes, spindle... my typing was ahead of my brain.

Can you repost the image... It's not showing up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.