Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Nishiki & Diamondback?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Nishiki & Diamondback?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 08:29 PM
tardman91

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nishiki & Diamondback?

What's the consensus on these bikes compared to the $500-$700 offerings from the likes of Trek and Specialized? Are they mostly the same at the lower end?
I'm considering giving mountain biking a go since they recently put in some nice single track trails very close to my house. I have road bike experience and ride an Allez. The last time I owned a mountain bike it was a big box store one in grade school. I don't want to drop a ton of money on one since a) I might not love it, and b) with a baby on the way I'm already pretty broke. They have some good deals at Dick's and with gift cards and coupons, and maybe selling one of my older road bikes I could pick one up for little to no money out of my pocket. I know fit is the most important thing, and I'm looking for a hard tail 29er. I just don't want to get a hunk of junk or get laughed off the trail. Thanks for the opinions.
Old 12-17-14, 09:03 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
They are all pretty much the same in that price range unless you go online and/or find a deal. My good bike is a diamondback sortie 29er.
Old 12-18-14, 10:17 AM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any good places to look online? I can handle basic assembly and then take it to a shop for fine tuning. The only one that I'm aware of Bikes Direct, and they didn't have anything that looked all that spectacular in the $400ish range.
Old 12-18-14, 12:07 PM
Canker

Well $400 is pretty hard anywhere including online unless you go used. Once you get up to $600-700 online opens up some options.

Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0

And all the normal sites like pricepoint, jenson, rei, nashbar, ebay...... they will often have left over last year bikes for a good deal. Just have to get lucky on those because when they do have something it is usually in limted frame sizes.

BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping
bike direct's scratch and dent site.
Old 12-18-14, 06:58 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Canker
Well $400 is pretty hard anywhere including online unless you go used. Once you get up to $600-700 online opens up some options.

Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0

And all the normal sites like pricepoint, jenson, rei, nashbar, ebay...... they will often have left over last year bikes for a good deal. Just have to get lucky on those because when they do have something it is usually in limted frame sizes.

BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping
bike direct's scratch and dent site.
You can generally get a pretty good quality USED hard-tail mountain bike off Craigslist from a private seller, from the reputable brands, like Trek, Specialized, Gary Fisher, etc. for $120-200. Especially if you are capable of doing the basic maintenance yourself. As a first foray, that's what I would recommend - then if you determine that serious mountain biking is for you, you can turn around and sell that used bike for close to what you paid for it, and invest real money in a new one.
Old 12-18-14, 09:16 PM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
You can generally get a pretty good quality USED hard-tail mountain bike off Craigslist from a private seller, from the reputable brands, like Trek, Specialized, Gary Fisher, etc. for $120-200. Especially if you are capable of doing the basic maintenance yourself. As a first foray, that's what I would recommend - then if you determine that serious mountain biking is for you, you can turn around and sell that used bike for close to what you paid for it, and invest real money in a new one.
I've been searching but my problem is usually size. I'm 6'3" so I usually need an XL frame from most manufacture. There's not a big selection of bikes that size on the used market.
Old 12-20-14, 05:19 AM
clydeosaur

Bikes: Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
diamondback sport/comp or mason in size xl have been bouncing around nashbar, performance, amazon, etc... starting around $450 & up. Many companies are offering up to an addition 20 % & up off as well as free shipping for the holidays.
Old 12-20-14, 01:19 PM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clydeosaur
diamondback sport/comp or mason in size xl have been bouncing around nashbar, performance, amazon, etc... starting around $450 & up. Many companies are offering up to an addition 20 % & up off as well as free shipping for the holidays.
Thanks for the info. I have some Dick's reward cash and am expecting some gift cards for Christmas, so I'll probably look there. I can order online and ship to store if need be. I am leaning towards a Diamondback after doing some more research. They seem pretty good for an entry-level cheapie.
Old 12-21-14, 06:54 AM
clydeosaur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just picked up an Overdrive 29er myself. I have an old Specialized FSR 26er , but have been wanting to try a 29er out without jumping in with both feet. Understanding bikes are very price point, I still think I got a decent price for entry level.
Old 12-21-14, 08:20 AM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clydeosaur
I just picked up an Overdrive 29er myself. I have an old Specialized FSR 26er , but have been wanting to try a 29er out without jumping in with both feet. Understanding bikes are very price point, I still think I got a decent price for entry level.
Yeah the more I look around and compare specs it seems that most of the entry level stuff is pretty much the same from the big box stores in the $400-600 range to the big name stuff in the $700-800 range. Save for some hydraulic discs and other little upgrades here and there it seems you're just paying for the name at the entry level.
Old 12-21-14, 01:04 PM
Canker

Hydraulic brakes aren't always better either when you are looking in that range. I'd take a nice set of Avid bb5/7s mechanicals over a lot of the cheapo hydraulics they stick on those lowend bikes. Lowend shiimano hydraulics are still pretty damn good but the rest are bleh.
Old 12-21-14, 04:09 PM
clydeosaur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Overdrive comes with Shimano (acera level? ) hydraulic brakes. I'm interested to see how they compare to my BB7's on my FSR which have been quite fail-proof over the years.
Old 12-22-14, 01:56 PM
Salt Air

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why is the D back overdrive sport 29 er .Blue almost every were but nashbar has black ?Could it be a 2013?
Old 12-22-14, 05:31 PM
clydeosaur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe it's a 14. The blue is a 15.
Old 12-23-14, 05:35 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Service after the sale Is what you get at your LBS,

priceless when you need it...

Just saying.
Old 12-23-14, 05:41 PM
clydeosaur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only thing I don't do on mine is build wheels.
Old 12-26-14, 07:38 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
When I compared Nishiki to LBS prices, I found almost no difference list price to list price. The cheaper priced Nishikis don't have a comparable bike with the LBS brands because they don't make one with that level of components. The better Nishiki level compares to the entry level Specialized/Giant. IMHO, the best buy at the barebones, under $500 is the Giant ATX 27.5 2. At $440 for a 27.5 wheel, with a Suntour fork and Tektro mechanical discs, its a pretty good buy.
Old 12-27-14, 06:02 PM
clydeosaur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My DB 29er was $ 449.00 out the door with shimano hydraulics, 8spd. acera drivetrain (minus the sr crank) thru Nashbar.
Old 12-27-14, 10:50 PM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually went the LBS route and put a deposit on a 2014 Raleigh Talus 29er. They did me a solid and honored a mis-priced bike from their other location (I had to drive to their other store for the one in my size). The 2013s were supposed to be close out priced, not the 2014s. It was too good a deal to pass up. Guess it pays to be a good customer. I've bought a few bikes from them. Now I just have to wait until my birthday in January and the wife will go pick it up for me.
Old 12-28-14, 05:08 PM
clydeosaur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice find!