Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

TPU inner tube problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

TPU inner tube problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-24, 12:33 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
TPU inner tube problem

I have a few tpu tubes aside for spares, today I had to change one since got rekt in a race and I noticed something.

Two in er tubes feel a bit too long for a 700c wheel, and I'm not able to insert the tyre since the tube is going to get compressed.
The other one just stay tight to the rim, and I'm able to put the tyre whiteout any problem.

Ofc I use a bit of pressure before installing, and yes the pressure is the same.

Here an image how the "longer tube" looks like.

Also I have to admit that the tubes are never used.
Can be fixed in any way?

Ps. If someone is interested to know how the race ended, I just lost my 10th rank. The inner tube failed after a pot hole at the last 1.5km and I had to run toward the finish with my bike on shoulder.
At least I was able to close at the position 17/29.
Old 04-21-24, 02:03 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 669 Posts
suggest you use LESS pressure - just a few PSI - when installing.

these tubes are quite stretchy

/markp
Old 04-21-24, 02:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
I think pretty much every tube I've inflated outside of a tire ends up with a bigger OD than the tire. When confined by the tire, it expands inward and... works.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 04-21-24, 02:53 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by mpetry912
suggest you use LESS pressure - just a few PSI - when installing.

these tubes are quite stretchy

/markp
Trust me, the pressure Is very low.
Old 04-21-24, 02:54 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I think pretty much every tube I've inflated outside of a tire ends up with a bigger OD than the tire. When confined by the tire, it expands inward and... works.
The TPU installation is kinda different, you must inflate a bit and then installing the tyre.
This particular tube is elongated somehow and I can't put inside the tyre.
Old 04-21-24, 03:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4218 Post(s)
Liked 3,893 Times in 2,324 Posts
I had thought one of the differences between these and common butyl tubes was their inability to stretch much. As in the crossection/width had to match up pretty closely to that of the mounted tire. If the tube were allowed to stretch much it wouldn't return to the original "size". I hope this isn't what happened to the circumference already. Andy
Old 04-21-24, 03:14 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
The TPU installation is kinda different, you must inflate a bit and then installing the tyre.
That's not different; I always put a little air in a tube before installing it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 04-21-24, 04:29 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 319 Posts
You just want to put enough air for it to take shape. Like 3-4 strokes on a mini pump, or 1 stroke on a floor pump.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 04-21-24, 04:47 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,790 Posts
You inflate every inner tube before installing. You have a non- problem.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-21-24, 05:56 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 345 Posts
I have a few tpu tubes aside for spares, today I had to change one since got rekt in a race and I noticed something.

Two in er tubes feel a bit too long for a 700c wheel, and I'm not able to insert the tyre since the tube is going to get compressed.
The other one just stay tight to the rim, and I'm able to put the tyre whiteout any problem.

Also I have to admit that the tubes are never used.
Can be fixed in any way?
First put the tube in the tyre, then put the tyre on the rim. It may take some manipulation to get the "extra" bit of tube to lie flat, and you have to be careful not to damage the valve stem.
Old 04-21-24, 08:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7030 Post(s)
Liked 11,062 Times in 4,729 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
You just want to put enough air for it to take shape. Like 3-4 strokes on a mini pump, or 1 stroke on a floor pump.
I usually just blow through the valve a bit. It doesn't take much air.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-22-24, 01:54 AM
CrowSeph

I can understand that my question probably sounds very stupid. This is not the first tube I've installed 🤣But reading the instructions tubes must be inflated a bit before installed.Now take a look at those images 1- 2- Those are two different tubes inflated just a bit for the installation itself.One is completely flat against the rim and the tyre installation can be done easily.The other one is almost impossible since the tube folds on itself making it impossible to install correctly without pinching. Note that both tubes are newer, fresh from package.
Old 04-22-24, 02:16 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 345 Posts
The tube may be too long. But first, understand that the rim outside seating surface, is significantly smaller that the inside tire seating surface just under the tread. So, with bare minimum pressure in the tube, try placing the tube inside the tire; If there is a large wrinkle or buckle in the tube, redistribute it carefully to spread that all in tinier parts all around, usually that is enough for installation. Then, put the tire on the rim, valve first of course, then the rest. Then inflate. If things go well, circumferential force trying to make the tube larger in diameter, will be constrained by the tire, and the tube will only expand in section diameter, completely filling the void between the tire and rim. Let us know how that goes.
Old 04-22-24, 02:53 AM
hidetaka

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
We could spend hours overthinking the issue but what it looks like is a QC failure with the tube, gonna happen to someone, this time it was you. I've used quite a few RideNow tubes and none were oversized in such a way. Let's just toss it in the bin and move on?
Likes For hidetaka:
Old 04-22-24, 05:16 AM
smd4

I can understand that my question probably sounds very stupid. This is not the first tube I've installed 🤣But reading the instructions tubes must be inflated a bit before installed.Now take a look at those images 1- 2- Those are two different tubes inflated just a bit for the installation itself.One is completely flat against the rim and the tyre installation can be done easily.The other one is almost impossible since the tube folds on itself making it impossible to install correctly without pinching. Note that both tubes are newer, fresh from package.
There’s no problem with the second tube. You won’t need to fold it on itself. You’re way overthinking this.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-22-24, 06:25 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 191 Posts
There is a bit and there is too much, this is too much.
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 04-22-24, 06:34 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Shadco
There is a bit and there is too much, this is too much.
There's nothing wrong with that tube.
Old 04-22-24, 07:36 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6225 Post(s)
Liked 4,229 Times in 2,373 Posts
If you have to inflate the tube prior to installation, put it in the tire first. That will constrain the tube to keep it from expanding too much. Every pressure vessel elongates as well as expands under pressure. Tubes just happen to be very weak pressure vessels that aren’t meant to be inflated outside of a stronger pressure vessel.

A rubber tube would expand and elongate much more than a TPU tube which isn’t very stretchy at all, contrary to what has been written above. The instructions on the TPU tubes say not to inflate them too much outside of the tire or the tube will be damaged.

Frankly, there is no need to inflate the TPU or any other kind of tube upon install. A tire that is tough to install will be harder to install with air in the tube. Just put the tube in the tire and mount the tire.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-22-24, 08:02 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Frankly, there is no need to inflate the TPU or any other kind of tube upon install. A tire that is tough to install will be harder to install with air in the tube. Just put the tube in the tire and mount the tire.
Wrong.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-22-24, 08:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6225 Post(s)
Liked 4,229 Times in 2,373 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Wrong.
Nope. Right. The tire bead needs to sit down in the channel of the rim and it the tire is tight, putting in a bladder that fills that channel will make it impossible to get the bead down in there. That increases the difficulty of installation. Additionally, the tube is more likely to be pinched during that installation.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-22-24, 08:24 AM
smd4

Nope. Right. The tire bead needs to sit down in the channel of the rim and it the tire is tight, putting in a bladder that fills that channel will make it impossible to get the bead down in there. That increases the difficulty of installation. Additionally, the tube is more likely to be pinched during that installation.
Still wrong. You increase the chance of a pinch without inflating the tube to shape. There won't be any installation difficulty. If there is--you're doing it wrong. Or don't know what you're doing.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-22-24, 09:25 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 2,985 Times in 1,621 Posts
A rubber tube would expand and elongate much more than a TPU tube which isn’t very stretchy at all, contrary to what has been written above. The instructions on the TPU tubes say not to inflate them too much outside of the tire or the tube will be damaged.
The relevant property here, is that TPU tubes don't UN-stretch as much as butyl after you've over-inflated them. So they're always a little more difficult to install, doubly so when you've stretched them. Good news is they're pretty tough so even if you pinch or fold it going in, it'll still probably work at least as a spare... might be lumpy.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 04-22-24, 10:03 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4218 Post(s)
Liked 3,893 Times in 2,324 Posts
This thread is beginning to drift into a "how to do it right" and a "what's right" pissing session.

I would ask if the OP has yet tried to mount the tire and see what the actual fit up results in. Does the OP feel that they can't just toss this tube, for whatever reason. At some point the value of moving on outweighs the cost of question or concern. Where that point is for each of us will be different. (just as how we mount tubes is different)

When our industry last tried non butyl tubes (about the early 1990s and poly urethane IIRC, my shop sold a few Panaracer versions briefly but we stopped after both poor sales and growing dislike of the after use stuff like "odd" patching methods). While we had little issues mounting them, we saw little benefits and greater cost besides the patching and needing to be far more specific in the sizing. Andy
Old 04-22-24, 10:28 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts

Holy moly, this thread cannot be serious... but I think it is
Old 04-22-24, 05:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,039 Times in 2,694 Posts
Install the tube as normal with the tire and then post the results. Showing more pictures of a tube around a rim doesn't solve your problem. Put one half of the tire on, then put a lightly inflated tube inside and then install the other bead and then slowly inflate while checking to make sure the bead is sitting properly. If there is an issue at that point then I would post pictures.
Likes For veganbikes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.