Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2*11/2*11 MTB converted to dropbars

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 06:48 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts

I got a bargain TREK 6500, 2007 MTB converted to 1*10 drop bars. I like it, it's more fun to ride than I've expected.

Unfortunately it's current 38t front - 32t rear ratio is not good for the hills in my area, so thinking about converting it to 2*10 or 11. Yes l, I am aware of the 1*11-50t options, but I'd like to explore the 2x with something like 38/24t on the front.

So, what are my options for the dropbar shifters that can work with top pull front 2x10 or 2x11 derailleur? Is this possible?
Old 07-28-22, 12:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Di2, or microshift bar ends (they have both road and mtn versions).
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-28-22, 04:33 PM
alexk_il

I think I figured it out. Two main issues of the road components on mtb are the smaller chainline and bottom pull FDs that in my top pull frame. So this is my plan:
  • Clamp on to braze on adapter
  • 4mm spacer for the braze on part (to increase the chainline)
  • Problem Solvers Cross Clamp & Pulley to change from top pull to bottom pull
  • Road FD, braze on
Did I miss anything? Any reasons why it won't work?
Old 07-28-22, 04:34 PM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Di2, or microshift bar ends (they have both road and mtn versions).
Thanks. Di2 is too easy/too expensive. Bar shifters on drop bars won't pass the "coolness test" of my teenage son that will use the bike too. 😂

I think I have an idea, see my previous post.

Last edited by alexk_il; 07-28-22 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-28-22, 08:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Are you saying you will shim out the braze on ft der adaptor? With an eccentric shim? Not common but I have one from JTek https://www.jtekengineering.com/wp-co...18/02/6448.jpg. Never used it but a cool item. Andy
Old 07-28-22, 11:49 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Food for thought…

Shimano changed the road FD cable pull for 2x setups. I believe it will work with a mtb FD. There was a Salsa Fargo model, a couple years back, that was running a factory setup of Tiagra 4700 shifters to a Deore FD.

Tiagra 4700 is on 10 speed, but I would think it holds true for 105 and Ultegra 11 speed left shifters.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 07-28-22 at 11:56 PM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-29-22, 12:27 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Are you saying you will shim out the braze on ft der adaptor? With an eccentric shim? Not common but I have one from JTek https://www.jtekengineering.com/wp-co...18/02/6448.jpg. Never used it but a cool item. Andy
Oh... This is cool adapter, it might work too.

I was thinking about these two:
Old 07-29-22, 07:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

The shims linked to are not for moving the ft der in or out WRT chainline. The move the der forward or change it's angle, relative to the seat tube. Stii cool options for when these changes are wanted. Andy
Old 07-29-22, 09:00 AM
alexk_il

The shims linked to are not for moving the ft der in or out WRT chainline. The move the der forward or change it's angle, relative to the seat tube. Stii cool options for when these changes are wanted. Andy
Oh,, you are right, of course. The 3mm spacer moves the FD forward, not away from the chainline. Any other options for using a road FD with MTB chainlines?
Old 07-29-22, 09:02 AM
alexk_il

Perhaps I can get away with BB spacers to increase the chainline by 3-4mm? I think it uses hollowtech cranks, not 100% sure.
Old 07-29-22, 09:40 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
When I converted Trek 6500zx I used a Schlumpf drive from Haberstock Mobility.
20201024_120748 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Efneo is a bit cheaper. By "a bit," I mean: "a lot." But the Efneo is cable shifted & used Shimano mountain pull. So you still would need a mountain pull drop bar shifter. So your cost savings doesn't really get you anywhere.

If I were to do it again, I'd stick with Gevenalle shifters, conventional gears & just accept that the front will be friction with any drop bar conversion.

My most recent bike is a Ritchey Ascent. It is billed as a mountain bike. I used a 1x11 Gevenalle shifters, a Paul Components 31.8 adaptor, a SRAM X9 triple shifter to shift a Sturmey Archer CS-RK3 , (You would need the non-disc brake version.) The cables running on top of the top tube like they are on your Trek 6500zx would make cable routing a breeze.
Ritchey Ascent Breakaway by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
Likes For base2:
Old 07-29-22, 10:34 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by base2
When I converted Trek 6500zx I used a Schlumpf drive from Haberstock Mobility.
20201024_120748 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Efneo is a bit cheaper. By "a bit," I mean: "a lot." But the Efneo is cable shifted & used Shimano mountain pull. So you still would need a mountain pull drop bar shifter. So your cost savings doesn't really get you anywhere.

If I were to do it again, I'd stick with Gevenalle shifters, conventional gears & just accept that the front will be friction with any drop bar conversion.

My most recent bike is a Ritchey Ascent. It is billed as a mountain bike. I used a 1x11 Gevenalle shifters, a Paul Components 31.8 adaptor, a SRAM X9 triple shifter to shift a Sturmey Archer CS-RK3 , (You would need the non-disc brake version.) The cables running on top of the top tube like they are on your Trek 6500zx would make cable routing a breeze.
Ritchey Ascent Breakaway by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Looks cool. Will take time to digest all the info about the Schlump and Erfneo.

What is that grey thing with a hoze attached to the frame of your Trek?
Old 07-29-22, 10:35 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by alexk_il
Perhaps I can get away with BB spacers to increase the chainline by 3-4mm? I think it uses hollowtech cranks, not 100% sure.
Another option, if it works it should enable to use road shifters with MTB FD.

Shiftmate 7 mixes Shimano & Campagnolo triple road shifters with mountain bike front derailleurs
Old 07-29-22, 11:21 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Oh,, you are right, of course. The 3mm spacer moves the FD forward, not away from the chainline. Any other options for using a road FD with MTB chainlines?
The eccentric shim I linked to does this, buy only by a mm or two. Andy
Old 07-29-22, 11:31 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Looks cool. Will take time to digest all the info about the Schlump and Erfneo.

What is that grey thing with a hoze attached to the frame of your Trek?
It's a CrankTank. It holds 4 liters of water; Over 1 US gallon. Including shipping, IIRC, I think it was around $100 United States Dollars. Which isn't bad considering how much water bottles, cages, for that capacity would cost. Let alone mount points occupied.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 07-29-22, 05:07 PM
alexk_il

The eccentric shim I linked to does this, buy only by a mm or two. Andy
The only model listed on their site is for 28.6 frame post: https://www.jtekengineering.com/?SingleProduct=33. Will it work on 34.9 frame or is there another model?
Old 07-29-22, 05:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

The only model listed on their site is for 28.6 frame post: https://www.jtekengineering.com/?SingleProduct=33. Will it work on 34.9 frame or is there another model?
The only version that I know of but I'm not them... For this eccentric shim to work the der clamp has to be larger than the seat tube, The difference is made up by the shim. If you have a 34.9 tube you'll need to find a der with a bigger clamp diameter. Good luck on that one.

I got this shim years ago for our tandem to try to improve very small front shifting points. Never got around to installing it and we don't ride the tandem much any ways. Andy