Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vitage Resurgence: mass produced nouveau vintage bikes--list the ones you know about

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vitage Resurgence: mass produced nouveau vintage bikes--list the ones you know about

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 05:58 AM
Mercian Rider

Bikes: 1973 Mercian Pro, 1972-73 Peugeot Track, 1983 Lotus Competition, Early 1970s Bottecchia Pro/Giro, 2000 Bob Jackson Special Tourist, 2011 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen; 1996 Franklin custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vintage Resurgence: mass produced nouveau vintage bikes--list the ones you know about

A little shocked when I saw Bikesdirect selling an Ultegra-equiped Motobecane Gran Premio lugged steel road bike.

Raleigh of course has 3 lugged steel models: International, Record Ace, and Grand Prix (same frame?), as well as the welded steel vintage style Port Townsend and Clubman.

Pashley has the Guv'nor.

Trek offers the vintage style Belleville.

What others are you aware of?

What do you make of this--a broader vintage comeback?

Last edited by Mercian Rider; 11-10-11 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-10-11, 06:16 AM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Replicants. A new bike can't be vintage, as far as I'm concerned. I think they're emulating old bikes to meet some sort of demand. Why? Not sure other than there must not be enough good vintage bikes around and their market is those bitten by the vintage bug but don't have the desire or skills to search out and fix up a vintage bike. It's OK with me and don't want to suggest it isn't.
Old 11-10-11, 06:30 AM
Mercian Rider

Bikes: 1973 Mercian Pro, 1972-73 Peugeot Track, 1983 Lotus Competition, Early 1970s Bottecchia Pro/Giro, 2000 Bob Jackson Special Tourist, 2011 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen; 1996 Franklin custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rootboy
those bitten by the vintage bug but don't have the desire or skills to search out and fix up a vintage bike.
I think that may account for part of it--we take it for granted that we can fix/restore a true vintage bike. Some folks may like the style, but wouldn't trust a used bike they don't know how to work on.
Old 11-10-11, 07:32 AM
iab

Liked 4,144 Times in 1,508 Posts
A partial list of Italian companies offering steel bikes,

Ablocco
Basso
Bellesi
Bianchi
Carrera
Casati
Cinelli
Ciocc
Colnago
DeRosa
Guerciotti
Masciaghi
Masi
Milani
Moser
Olmo
Pegoretti
Scapin
Somec
Tommasini
Torelli
Viner
Zullo
Old 11-10-11, 07:36 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Liked 1,237 Times in 603 Posts
I think to some extent, people are tired of the trend in bikes that had them split into two extremes, either all out race machines (both road and mountain bikes) or comfort bikes made for people who don't ride more than a few miles. Even the bikes that are not meant for racing have the same type of graphic package as the race bikes and to the casual observer, may as well be a race bike. Some people just like to take longer rides at a comfortable pace. That doesn't mean they don't appreciate good hardware. They just don't need to look like they are training for the Tour de France. Race bikes don't have anyplace to mount a rack or fenders. I just bought Jamis Quest because although it isn't lugged, it has comfortable geometry and rack and fender mounts and it doesn't look like a rolling billboard.
Old 11-10-11, 07:53 AM
Mercian Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iab
A partial list of Italian companies offering steel bikes,

Ablocco
Basso
Bellesi
Bianchi
Carrera
Casati
Cinelli
Ciocc
Colnago
DeRosa
Guerciotti
Masciaghi
Masi
Milani
Moser
Olmo
Pegoretti
Scapin
Somec
Tommasini
Torelli
Viner
Zullo
Do you consider all of these to be mass-produced? Bianchi and Masi, I can see.
Old 11-10-11, 07:57 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Liked 100 Times in 50 Posts
Replicants. I think they're emulating old bikes to meet some sort of demand.
+1

Having some experience with the Raleigh Clubman. Replicants? I don't think so, the Clubman is most definatley a modern design. Emulating? Sure, subdued colors, old style script, fenders and Brooks saddle. But these components also make it very comfortable and practical.

I think to some extent, people are tired of the trend in bikes that had them split into two extremes, either all out race machines (both road and mountain bikes) or comfort bikes made for people who don't ride more than a few miles.
This was the motivation for my purchase, I have vintage bikes but I wanted a new bike too, one that I was comfortable on around town, on longer rambles or club rides; regardless of the weather. Yes, my vintage steel does all that but for the sake of N+1, I needed something new.

So a gentle nod to the mass producers of nouveau vintage bicycles....well done sirs, well done!
Old 11-10-11, 08:01 AM
jr59

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
For mass produced, Bianchi, Torelli and Masi
Old 11-10-11, 08:03 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Is Fuji still making the Connoisseur?

Old 11-10-11, 08:14 AM
Mercian Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are certainly brands that have produced steel frames continously--some of the Italian examples above, Merican and Bob Jackson in the UK. I think of those as a more or less unbroken continuation of the vintage tradition for connoisseurs, not the masses. I'm thinking more along the lines of mass produced, mass marketed, ready-to-go vintage-esque bikes that are showing up at LBSs, REI website, bikesdirect, etc. Columbus Ohio town is crawling with Masis for example.

Last edited by Mercian Rider; 11-10-11 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-10-11, 08:15 AM
Mercian Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Is Fuji still making the Connoisseur?
I think Nashbar (or Performance?) still sells them--not sure if they're still making them, though.
Old 11-10-11, 08:23 AM
Mercian Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see these bikes as a very positive development, and I agree that it answers a need for a practical, comfortable, but stylish bikes that don't fit the categories that have dominated the past couple of decades: modern road bikes, mountain bikes, and hybrids. I wonder to what extent the uptick in urban/commuting cycling is working along with this.

Here's another possible example: Nashbar steel road bike. Steel frame, downtube shifters, handlebar tape that looks shellaced, and faux leather rivited saddle.

Seeing Nashbar and bikesdirect tapping into this indicates a significant demand is out there.

Last edited by Mercian Rider; 11-10-11 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-10-11, 09:27 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 355 Times in 178 Posts
Some other companies making mass-produced, lugged, replicas:

Rivendell
VO (some of them are pretty schweet)
Linus
Old 11-10-11, 09:27 AM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
You should of said what company doesn't make a vintage themed model. What's there not to trust in a used bike? I can see like normal consumable type items like chains, cables but after that what makes an older part less reliable then a modern part? If I want something "vintage" then I buy something vintage...not to mention it's cheaper and usually a better bang for you buck to what bikes go for nowadays.
Old 11-10-11, 09:41 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 355 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry III
You should of said what company doesn't make a vintage themed model. What's there not to trust in a used bike? I can see like normal consumable type items like chains, cables but after that what makes an older part less reliable then a modern part? If I want something "vintage" then I buy something vintage...not to mention it's cheaper and usually a better bang for you buck to what bikes go for nowadays.
Most people will never change out their saddle. Most people will never get the bike tuned up or the bearings greased. Most people don't want to go to a shop, and it's a hassle to take their bike in. Most people have no idea whether something isn't working because of the chain, cogs, cable tension or pulley wear...they just want the bike to work. Most people will never ride the bike they bought for 1000 miles in its life - why do you think we all pull so many garage queens.

They want to buy a quick and easy bike that works and that they don't have to fuss with. They might like the styling of an older bike, but they might not want the hassle.
Old 11-10-11, 10:25 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Liked 529 Times in 285 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Most people will never change out their saddle. Most people will never get the bike tuned up or the bearings greased. Most people don't want to go to a shop, and it's a hassle to take their bike in. Most people have no idea whether something isn't working because of the chain, cogs, cable tension or pulley wear...they just want the bike to work. Most people will never ride the bike they bought for 1000 miles in its life - why do you think we all pull so many garage queens.

They want to buy a quick and easy bike that works and that they don't have to fuss with. They might like the styling of an older bike, but they might not want the hassle.
This. And thank god - it insures the supply of gently used $20 vintage bikes will never end for those of us who do fix 'em up.
Old 11-10-11, 10:50 AM
Mercian Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake

Spot on. And then when they discover the stock saddle is painful to ride, they simply stop riding the bike, or get a gel or sheepskin saddle cover, and still don't ride the bike. I've encountered bike owners who've given up on a bike because a tire went flat.
Old 11-10-11, 12:18 PM
southpawboston

Liked 183 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercian Rider
What others are you aware of?
There's also Soma and dozens of other frame brands now making or marketing steel frames. Here's a new Soma steel mixte, which I bought and built up for my wife who wanted a traditionally styled bike but with modern parts. She wanted nothing to do with old parts, and specifically wanted a mixte. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to find vintage mixte frames in anything larger than 56cm (she needed a 58cm). She also wanted a comfortable all-rounder type of bike but was dead set against an ugly aluminum hybrid. That's were new steel frames come in handy-- they tend to make them in a broader range of sizes than you can typically find used.

(Hey, at least no twine or shellac on this one!)

Last edited by southpawboston; 11-10-11 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-10-11, 01:05 PM
BattleRabbit
Anachronist.

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn Le Tour, 2010 Motobecane Sprint

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mercian Rider
I see these bikes as a very positive development, and I agree that it answers a need for a practical, comfortable, but stylish bikes that don't fit the categories that have dominated the past couple of decades: modern road bikes, mountain bikes, and hybrids. I wonder to what extent the uptick in urban/commuting cycling is working along with this.
Honestly, I want to see a mainstream company produce a touring/commuting bike with a flat top tube... Flat TT's, steel, drop bars, fenders and racks are a winning combo.
Old 11-10-11, 01:34 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 424 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by BattleRabbit
Honestly, I want to see a mainstream company produce a touring/commuting bike with a flat top tube... Flat TT's, steel, drop bars, fenders and racks are a winning combo.
Do you consider Surly mainstream? All of their Pavement Bikes have straight TTs. Most, if not all, accept fenders & racks.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-10-11, 01:35 PM
BattleRabbit
Anachronist.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always sort of forget about Surly. They're kinda the early 80s Volvo of the bike world... They're heavy, but darn are they good.
Old 11-10-11, 01:51 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Apt comparison. I know tons of people that have them and like them, but when someone rides up on their new Surly, there's rarely an "Ooooooh, nice!" moment. Especially for their older models which includes the pavement bikes.

(Now the Moonlander....)

Old 11-10-11, 01:54 PM
BattleRabbit
Anachronist.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh damn, the Moonlander and the Pugsly are too cool for school!
Old 11-10-11, 01:56 PM
Mercian Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Apt comparison. I know tons of people that have them and like them, but when someone rides up on their new Surly, there's rarely an "Ooooooh, nice!" moment. Especially for their older models which includes the pavement bikes.

(Now the Moonlander....)
Here's where I'm too easily impressed. When I see a Surly when I'm riding, I think, brilliant choice over the plastic spaceship racer wannabe bike.
Old 11-10-11, 01:58 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Oh yeah, sure, but just like the older Volvo, there is no desire to pore over the bike and check out the unique aspects of it because, really, they aren't all that unique.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.