Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cheap freewheel remover for fixes and bmx bikes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 07:04 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm adding a fixed wheel bike to my stable. As I understand it I'll need the equivalent of FR 6 to tighten and remove the fixed cog and free wheel.

Any suggestions where to buy a cheap one? FR 1.2 cost just 8 from Amazon but this equivalent product for fix is is 16+!
Old 10-02-15, 07:17 AM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
So I'm adding a fixed wheel bike to my stable. As I understand it I'll need the equivalent of FR 6 to tighten and remove the fixed cog and free wheel.

Any suggestions where to buy a cheap one? FR 1.2 cost just 8 from Amazon but this equivalent product for fix is is 16+!
I'm a little confused. Are you converting a freewheel hub to fixed gear? In that case you need the FR-1 or equivalent to remove the FW. Then, you will need a lock-ring tool to fasten the lock ring after you screw on the track cog. Incidentally, this type of conversion is subject to failure because reverse pedal pressure can unscrew the lock ring! Better to get a hub designed for FG. They have reverse threading for the lock ring.
www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

Last edited by habilis; 10-02-15 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-02-15, 07:40 AM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habilis
I'm a little confused. Are you converting a freewheel hub to fixed gear? In that case you need the FR-1 or equivalent to remove the FW. Then, you will need a lock-ring tool to fasten the lock ring after you screw on the track cog. Incidentally, this type of conversion is subject to failure because reverse pedal pressure can unscrew the lock ring! Better to get a hub designed for FG. They have reverse threading for the lock ring.
Thanks @Habillis.

I'm buying a new track bike. To tighten or replaced the cog won't I need this tool https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Free...=fr-6+parktool
Old 10-02-15, 08:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by habilis
Your link doesn't work. I think you are linking to this page but Brown also has a page titled "Fixed Gear on the Cheap" where he talks about doing exactly what Inpd wants to do.

Yes, a fix track hub with a reverse threaded lockring works better but a cog and lock ring on a freewheel hub works too. They aren't that prone to failure as long as you aren't doing skid stops all the time. But skid stops are a really dumb way of stopping a bike of any kind. They are showy but ineffective.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-02-15, 08:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Thanks @Habillis.

I'm buying a new track bike. To tighten or replaced the cog won't I need this tool Amazon.com : Park Tool FR-6 Freewheel Remover for BMX Bikes : Bike Hand Tools : Sports & Outdoors
No. That tool is to remove a single speed freewheel. If you are using a single speed freewheel, your bike is a single speed, not a fixed gear. A fixed gear cog threads onto the hub and spins with the hub but you can't coast. Fixed gear cogs are removed with a chainwhip like this or chainwhip pliers like this
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-02-15, 08:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You buy the freewheel remover to fit the freewheel you have. they are Not expensive, but not Free either.

you can remove the wheel and bring it to the bike shop and for a buck or so they can use theirs and take your freewheel off for you.

Fixie, Ie Track hubs, you have the LH thread lockring to remove [tool1]

Then you need a 2nd, different tool, a chain-whip to un screw the Cog from the Hub.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-02-15 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-02-15, 09:22 AM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
No. That tool is to remove a single speed freewheel. If you are using a single speed freewheel, your bike is a single speed, not a fixed gear. A fixed gear cog threads onto the hub and spins with the hub but you can't coast. Fixed gear cogs are removed with a chainwhip like this or chainwhip pliers like this
Got it. Thanks. The track bike I ordered has a flip-flop hub and the instructions were confusing me since they would refer to FR-6 (used for the free wheel side) but then refer to the cog (used for the fixed side) without noting the change in context.

You guys are great!
Old 10-02-15, 09:23 AM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks @Habillis.

I'm buying a new track bike. To tighten or replaced the cog won't I need this tool https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Free...=fr-6+parktool
That you'll need only for removing an FW on a BMX bike. For a track hub, you will need one of these: Sunlite Tool Chain Whip 3/32 W/Ped-Wrench+ | Bikewagon

The chain whip feature is for installing or removing the cog. The end with the semicircle and the little prong is for installing / removing the lock ring.
Old 10-02-15, 09:29 AM
habilis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Your link doesn't work. I think you are linking to this page but Brown also has a page titled "Fixed Gear on the Cheap" where he talks about doing exactly what Inpd wants to do.

Yes, a fix track hub with a reverse threaded lockring works better but a cog and lock ring on a freewheel hub works too. They aren't that prone to failure as long as you aren't doing skid stops all
the time. But skid stops are a really dumb way of stopping a bike of any kind. They are showy but ineffective.
Very true, but I apply back pedal pressure all the time to control my speed. Although it's never enough to cause a skid, it could eventually undo the lock ring on a converted road hub with right-hand threaded lock ring.
Old 10-02-15, 09:33 AM
habilis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got it. Thanks. The track bike I ordered has a flip-flop hub and the instructions were confusing me since they would refer to FR-6 (used for the free wheel side) but then refer to the cog (used for the fixed side) without noting the change in context.

You guys are great!
Aha! You did the right thing. I went the same route after reading Sheldon Brown.