Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What is Spirgrips paste?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What is Spirgrips paste?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-23, 11:04 AM
Fandomii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What is Spirgrips paste?

Hey folks,

Spirgrips recommends using a "pasta" (paste) when installing their grips. Any idea what is in that paste, or if there are any aftermarket ones?

Old 05-16-23, 01:50 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Fandomii
Spirgrips recommends using a "pasta" (paste) when installing their grips. Any idea what is in that paste, or if there are any aftermarket ones?
Probably something like Loctite 603 (a retaining compound, not thread lock).
Old 05-16-23, 03:01 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Does this involve Carbon Fiber parts?
If so, it's a "friction enhancer".
I don't do CF, but I know they have an "assembly paste".
Google-
"carbon fiber assembly paste"
Old 05-16-23, 03:52 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Didn't they have a bunch of pasta found out in the woods of New Jersey the other week? Was some of that "spirgrips" pasta?
Old 05-17-23, 12:17 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
My favorite pasta would be strozzapreti (or priest choker in English) or spaghetti rigati or angel hair not sure what they would recommend.

They show putting what looks to be a glue or something odd and I would not recommend that and would clarify with them and still probably avoid it. I think they either love their product so much or are so desperate for you to have it and not try and return it or they are so poorly constructed that they cannot be properly torqued and stay tight for what is needed of them that they are suggesting gluing them down. I could be wrong but they can clarify. The only time I might put something inside a grip is either a hair spray or generally these days alcohol and that is only on slip fit grips but I so rarely use those except in applications where I literally cannot use lock on grips but that is just to help install or potentially remove them a lock on grip doesn't need that at all.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-18-23, 04:05 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
This is a screen shot out of the Spirgrips assembly instructions downloaded directly from their website:

I'm sure this very common paste which is available anywhere that sells carbon fiber bike stuff should have been included in the package. Unless you bought them second hand.
Old 05-18-23, 08:23 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I'm sure this very common paste which is available anywhere that sells carbon fiber bike stuff should have been included in the package. Unless you bought them second hand.
This is not carbon assembly paste, which is just gritty grease, it's an adhesive that locks cylindrical parts together, like thread lock for unthreaded components. It used to be specified for the triple clamp on some suspension forks, probably still is.
Old 05-19-23, 12:27 AM
Fandomii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
My favorite pasta would be strozzapreti (or priest choker in English) or spaghetti rigati or angel hair not sure what they would recommend.

They show putting what looks to be a glue or something odd and I would not recommend that and would clarify with them and still probably avoid it. I think they either love their product so much or are so desperate for you to have it and not try and return it or they are so poorly constructed that they cannot be properly torqued and stay tight for what is needed of them that they are suggesting gluing them down. I could be wrong but they can clarify. The only time I might put something inside a grip is either a hair spray or generally these days alcohol and that is only on slip fit grips but I so rarely use those except in applications where I literally cannot use lock on grips but that is just to help install or potentially remove them a lock on grip doesn't need that at all.
Thank you for the reply! Why would you put alcohol inside a grip?
Old 05-19-23, 12:40 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Slide on grips.
Hair spray will lubricate to allow one to slide it on easily and then "set" to lock it.
Alcohol because you're a guy and don't use hair spray.
I use soapy water.
Old 05-19-23, 08:54 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
I use alcohol to help it slide on but because it is alcohol, it will evaporate eventually. Fewer chemcials and issues just simply alcohol and water.

It has nothing to do with any sort of gender things as Bill Kapaun said, I know plenty of people of all genders or lack thereof who use hair spray. Typically when working on a bike I have alcohol nearby but not hairspray. At the old shop I worked at we had it and used frequently.
Likes For veganbikes: