Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

fixed/fixed vs fixed/freewheel

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-10, 05:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts

I am working with my son to build a fixie. Wanting him to have flexibility.... I want him to go (and as I amy buying he will go ) flip/flop so he has a choice.

What are pros/cons of going fixed/fixed and using bmx style cog/free wheel vs going fixed/freewheel?

Thanks from a C*V type dad with a soon to be fixei 13 year old

Old 08-30-10, 05:55 PM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
im not sure i get what you are asking, especially about the bmx style cog thing....

this might be something you already know, but here we go:
most fixed gear/singlespeed back hubs has one side you can run a freewheel cog, and the other side you can run a fixed gear cog held on with a lockring. these are called "flip flop" hubs because you can flip the wheel around to go from freewheel (coasting) to fixed and vice versa.

if your son is new to fixed gear, definitely make sure it has AT LEAST a front brake, and i would advise to have him get used to the bike first with the freewheel side then flip it to fixed once he is accustomed. and make sure if running fixed the peddals have foot retention.
Old 08-30-10, 06:01 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Fixed/Fixed is the most versatile. You can set it up as:

1) Fixed/Fixed
2) Fixed/Free
3) Free/Free

And, yes, it's ok to mount a single freewheel on fixed cog threads, even though the freewheel threads are wider than the hub threads.

As to BMX (metric), the only "advantage" is that you can mount a freewheel with less than 16 teeth, however, that's mainly because BMX bikes have smaller wheels, which effectively lowers the gearing. You should not need anything less than a 16T freewheel for your son, and fixed cogs go all the way from 12T to 22T.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 08-30-10 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 08-30-10, 06:11 PM
squeegeesunny 

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and TT does it again.
Old 08-30-10, 06:18 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Fixed/Fixed is the most versatile. You can set it up as:

1) Fixed/Fixed
2) Fixed/Free
3) Free/Free

And, yes, it's ok to mount a single freewheel on fixed cog threads, even though the freewheel threads are wider than the hub threads.

As to BMX (metric), the only "advantage" is that you can mount a freewheel with less than 16 teeth, however, that's mainly because BMX bikes have smaller wheels, which effectively lowers the gearing. You should not need anything less than a 16T frrewheel for your son, and the fixed cogs go all the way from 12T to 22T
Beat me to it.

The 'fixed' thread has the smaller, left handed thread for the locking ring. The fixed/free hubs have one side with the fixed set up but only the right handed thread on the other.

As my esteemed colleague above mentioned, you can run a bmx cog on the fixed threading - there are enough threads there to do so, though if you're absolutely definite that you'll always have a freewheel cog on your bike, a fixed/free hub would be better because it's the correct part for the job.

However, if you get fixed/fixed, you can run anything you like.

You can run a track cog on a freewheel thread - you simply do it up really really tight and use a bb locking ring against it. These are called 'suicide hubs' because the locking ring, being on the same thread, isn't overly effective as a locking ring and excessive back pressure can spin the cog off (it's fun ... not btdt).

My tip?
Buy fixed/fixed - it's what's going on my Hillbrick ... but if you can't get it, you won't be sad with fixed/free because not many people flip the wheel around to use the other cog anyway.

Richard
Old 09-01-10, 02:08 PM
cyclingd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to learn more about the difference between BMX flip flops and fixed/free flip flops.

I am considering a suicide hub on my 27” wheel or getting a (under $40) Redline BMX flip flop 20” wheel and build a new 27” or 700c wheel out of it on a frame with 130 mm dropout.

Do fixed/free flip flops have same diameters on both side, just a matter of left handed thread for the track cog and right hand thread for freewheel?

What about BMX flip flop, my impression is both sides are left hand (?) threads of different diameters? The seller says both sides appear to be the same diameter. Do they make a fixed/free flip flop for BMX? Are the 14 mm axle a different size than what I would need on the road wheel?

Do track cogs have left handed threads or it doesn’t matter as it’ll go on both left and right handed threads just depending on which direction you turn it?
Old 09-01-10, 02:18 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Track cogs have right hand threads, just like freewheels. It's the lockrings that have left hand threads. Regular freewheels have the same thread size a fixed cogs (1.375" x 24 tpi), but there are some smaller BMX freewheels that have 30mm x 1mm threads.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 09-01-10, 02:43 PM
Cash36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if this will help at all, but it goes a little like this:

Your flip/flop hub has threading on both sides, one for a fixed cog and lockring and the other side for a freewheel.

The fixed side looks like this (this is looking rearward, drive side is left)

__-----[|. the "_" are reverse threading, the "-" are normal right handed threading and "[|" is part of the hub the spokes connect to.

The track cog goes on the "---" and the lockring goes on the "___".

The free side is similar, but it's just

-----[|. again, "-" are right handed threads, and [| is part of the hub the spokes connect to.
Old 09-01-10, 03:09 PM
avner
Fueled by Tigers Blood

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say grab the fixed/fixed Hub, like they have said you can run a freewheel if you want. And if he ends up being a fixie kid he'll enjoy having 2 different ratios if he absolutely needs them. I'm enjoying having 2 different fixed cogs right now. I got a 16t and 17t.
Old 09-02-10, 12:08 PM
cyclingd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to Cash36 for the explanation of the fixed/free hub.

What about the BMX flip flop, does it have reverse threading on both side for the lockring?

As there are 2 sizes of axles for BMX, the 14mm axle will not fit the dropouts on a road bike dropout. Is there a way around it?