Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Advice on Garmin 520 - what do you like/dislike?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 10:25 AM
illusiumd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't believe I'm considering dropping 3-400 for a cycling computer. I've got a 30mi daily commute and have been using Strava on an iPhone - but lately I think I may be suffering from overtraining - I've never really had anyone teach me proper cycling technique or thought about varying my speed/cadence - I've never tried to formulate a training regimen.

I'd like to be able to bike my 30mi/4 days a week commute and still be able to do a ride on the weekend. Right now I can barely make it through the commute - I've never given thought to what my cadence is before ...

I'm wondering if a good cycling computer like the 520 with the speed and cadence sensor can help me better map out a good biking rhythm that will keep me healthier...
Old 04-19-16, 10:46 AM
ttusomeone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by illusiumd
I can't believe I'm considering dropping 3-400 for a cycling computer. I've got a 30mi daily commute and have been using Strava on an iPhone - but lately I think I may be suffering from overtraining - I've never really had anyone teach me proper cycling technique or thought about varying my speed/cadence - I've never tried to formulate a training regimen.

I'd like to be able to bike my 30mi/4 days a week commute and still be able to do a ride on the weekend. Right now I can barely make it through the commute - I've never given thought to what my cadence is before ...

I'm wondering if a good cycling computer like the 520 with the speed and cadence sensor can help me better map out a good biking rhythm that will keep me healthier...
Will having a dedicated bike computer and speed/cadence sensors help? Probably. I'm sure there are numerous threads on here talking about training and using cadence, etc. If you like looking at your ride data or comparing time on Strava then a Garmin or other GPS computer is helpful. If you don't want to spend the money on a 520, you can get a used/refurb 510 or even 500 for much cheaper. It comes down to which functionality you'll use/want and which model gives it to you. I previously had a 510 and loved it, but upgraded to the 520 because I wanted to be able to see text messages/calls on my computer screen without having to pull my phone out of my pocket. My wife frequently rides while I'm out, and she texts when she leaves and when she gets home, and now I don't have to pull my phone out of my pocket to see if it's her texting or calling because she had a problem or if it was someone else.
Old 04-19-16, 11:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't think having a 520 with a speed and cadence sensor is going to solve your problem. Maybe a power meter, but that doubles or triples your budget and isn't a sure thing, just a much better bet. Outside of the extremes (like mashing up a steep hill for a long time), cadence isn't what fatigues cyclists.

The 520 will tell you how long to rest after each workout, but you're going to ignore it because you need your bike to commute.

You're probably better off buying sensors for your iPhone. There are some sensors that broadcast over Bluetooth and ANT+ which means they could also be used with a Garmin if you decide to get one down the line, but for your specific goal I don't think the $300 will help you. I'd also recommend a heart rate monitor, it won't be perfect but you can use it as a pacing tool.
Old 04-19-16, 12:53 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Not to talk you out of buying a Garmin, but for what you want to do, just keep what you have and get a Wahoo RFLKT, TICKR and Blue SC. All three combined will be cheaper than buying a Garmin bundle and will do what you need. There are several threads on this forum about the RFLKT and phones as a primary cycling computer that you may want to check out. You can set the RFLKT to display any data field you want to see on the primary screen and set other data fields on other pages. All three of these will connect to your iPhone via Bluetooth and give you the data you need. And since you aren't viewing your phone's screen to see your ride stats, you don't need to worry about your battery going dead on your rides. If you are unfamiliar with the Wahoo products, here's a link that will help you to make a decision on which way to go.

Edit: If at a later point you still decide to go with a Garmin, all you need to purchase is the computer because the TICKR and the Blue SC transmit Bluetooth and Ant+ simultaneously and will work with any of the Garmins.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 04-19-16 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-19-16, 09:07 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I have the Edge 520. I am having issues with it freezing during a ride. Today it happened after two rides where it worked the way it should. I think the problem is the Bluetooth connecting with my phone, a Nexus 6P. The next ride I am turning the Bluetooth off on the 520 to see if that fixes the problem. I have used the 500 and the 510 without any problems. The only feature on the 520 that convinced me to buy it was the Live Track but it doesn't work without the Bluetooth. I would suggest the 510. It has cadence with the sensor and costs less.
Old 04-20-16, 04:16 AM
Tpcorr

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I just bought an Edge 520 and I love it. I'm a recreational cyclist riding between 150-250 miles per week. I love all the metrics this device gives you, surely more than I'll ever need. I'm a bit of a gadget nerd and I love all the bells and whistles this device provides. That being said, my previous bike computer is a Cateye cc-2000, solar powered cyclocomputer which I purchased in 1984, and it still works perfectly. It gave me all the data I needed, including cadence, speed, average speed, distance, etc.

While the Edge 520 is nice, it is also pricey, IMHO. You can get all the info you want in this cateye unit for $84 online. It gives you cadence, speed and everything else with the exception of heart rate. For that you'll need to buy a cateye heart rate strap separately.

https://www.amazon.com/Cateye-Strada-...s+with+cadence

The heart rate strap is about $50. Good luck and have fun. These bike computers, for me, are a great motivational tool. I think you'll really like the Edge 520, but the lower cost option will give you most of the data at a third of the cost.
Old 04-20-16, 09:16 AM
mactagger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texbiker
I have the Edge 520. I am having issues with it freezing during a ride. Today it happened after two rides where it worked the way it should. I think the problem is the Bluetooth connecting with my phone, a Nexus 6P. The next ride I am turning the Bluetooth off on the 520 to see if that fixes the problem. I have used the 500 and the 510 without any problems. The only feature on the 520 that convinced me to buy it was the Live Track but it doesn't work without the Bluetooth. I would suggest the 510. It has cadence with the sensor and costs less.
You probably already did this, but did you try changing the battery optimization option for the garmin app to not optimized? Might help it from loosing the Bluetooth connection.
Old 04-20-16, 09:33 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I have tried it both on and off. It doesn't appear to make any difference.
Old 04-20-16, 10:13 AM
GSJon

Bikes: Specialized Crux Expert Evo, Felt DA, Surly Crosscheck, Divvy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the nice things that you may benefit from with the Garmin (many of the models) is the Cycling Dynamics that Garmin Connect provides. Although, the more useful ones do come from having a power meter.

However what you may want to do is to go get a book on cycling training. Any book by Joel Friel will be pretty good IMHO.

Jon
Old 04-20-16, 01:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Cycling Dynamics are only available if you have Garmin Vector pedals.
Old 04-20-16, 02:32 PM
illusiumd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice here - love to get all the knowledge and insight from you riders
Old 09-20-16, 07:25 PM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the 520 last week and use it. I love it and this is high as I will go.

Alot of features I will not use. I dont do laps. I am not going to use the map. My google map on phone is way better.

And to do the power stuff, you need Vector 2 and that thing costs $1k.
Old 09-20-16, 07:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have absolutely zero complaints about my 520. Excellent battery life, flawless auto-uploads to Connect/Strava, never loses connection to any of my sensors. The BT connection cuts in and out on occasion, but I don't fault the 520 for that-- I fault BT, as it's a horrible stop-gap technology. Live Segments is great. It wasn't even one of my motivations when purchasing, but I find myself using it all the time.

The map screen is small, but it can be quite handy when the road that's supposed to be there isn't there anymore.
Old 09-21-16, 04:58 AM
JerryZ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have had my 520 for just over 2 months and I can say that it works flawlessly. I suspect that any problems with it will be the BT. I don't do smartphones at all, so the 520 is worth it for me. If I were dumping all the money that it costs for a smartphone, I would just go with the phone add-ons and forget the Garmin.
Old 09-21-16, 07:13 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Liked 936 Times in 544 Posts
I love my 520. I did have it "brick" on my once but there is info at the 520 forum on how to reset the unit. I also discovered a problem with it and notified Garmin and they fixed it with an update. It does more than I use and I like the ability to grow into it.
Old 09-21-16, 09:32 AM
chong67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you notice the BT connection in and out by looking at the icon? Isnt it only used for text and get weather update and upload to the Garmin connect app? Its only used then.

When I ride my bike, I have two bicycle app on my phone running and I compare it to the 520. Just doing it for fun. There is wide numbers in some of the stats. I still believe in 520 as I have the cadence and speed sensor on it.
Old 09-23-16, 09:56 AM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my edge 500. It was light a new world opened up when i used it.
Old 09-23-16, 08:41 PM
chong67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my 520 so far.

But, I dont have power meter, so anything to do with power metrics I cannot use.

I find no use for Lap. I dont go around riding a circular track.

The map are no use for a low resolution. I am thinking of deleting it to save space. I use Google map on the phone.

I am glad I didnt get the 820 as its the same thing, same screen size, but touch screen for $100 more?

Once you set your setting, you dont do anything else but run it.
Old 09-24-16, 06:33 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,207 Times in 1,252 Posts
Originally Posted by chong67

I am glad I didnt get the 820 as its the same thing, same screen size, but touch screen for $100 more?

it.
Plus much better maps and navigation.
Old 09-24-16, 05:05 PM
chong67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Plus much better maps and navigation.
This is someone else comment below about the 820 ...

Got another 520... tried the 820 briefly. Couldn't stand the touch screen. It really is horrible. In some cases too sensitive, in other cases, very laggy (especially for scrolling). No thanks. And the display "seemed" fuzzier than the 520's. Extra layer for capacitive maybe??
Old 09-24-16, 07:04 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have the 500 and hate it. It came with my Giant TCR which I bought 2nd hand. The mapping is crap, as it does not show side roads/adjoining roads and all you have is a 'breadcrumb' single line. When you get to a bend/junction, I often take the wrong turn and have to backtrack.

If you take a wrong turn, you get the message 'off course', but it does not recalulate/redirect you like a car satnav. There are 2 small windows on the top which tell you how far the next junction is, but I cannot read the text as it's too small

I will most probably be buying the Garmin Edge 1000 very soon
Old 09-24-16, 07:32 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by dim
I have the 500 and hate it. It came with my Giant TCR which I bought 2nd hand. The mapping is crap, as it does not show side roads/adjoining roads and all you have is a 'breadcrumb' single line. When you get to a bend/junction, I often take the wrong turn and have to backtrack.

If you take a wrong turn, you get the message 'off course', but it does not recalulate/redirect you like a car satnav. There are 2 small windows on the top which tell you how far the next junction is, but I cannot read the text as it's too small

You do realize the question was about the 520, which is 2 generations later then the 500. Possibly some of the functionality has changed ?.

Sorry you hated the 500 but kind of useless to the OP, 'ya think ?
Old 09-24-16, 08:17 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dim

If you read about the 500, youll know it was never intended to have maps like that.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
You do realize the question was about the 520, which is 2 generations later then the 500. Possibly some of the functionality has changed ?.

Sorry you hated the 500 but kind of useless to the OP, 'ya think ?
Its is relevant.
Old 09-24-16, 08:41 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Jean3n16
If you read about the 500, youll know it was never intended to have maps like that.

Its is relevant.
No it's not relevant as stated. The 500 was released in '09 ?, the 520 last year. Lots of additional features and differences between the units.

If dim had commented on how there is similarity between the units and what the 2 units had in common, that might have provided some usefulness to the OP. Simply stating then an entirely different unit is disliked, regardless of why, is really of no help.
Old 09-24-16, 09:07 PM
chong67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The screen resolution on the 520 and 820 is bad/low that I think is only good for text and to have a map on there, I say use the phone when you got lost.

I read the original map is so bad that you want to use Open Cycle Map instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.