Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What can I do with soft paint?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-22, 05:51 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts

By "soft paint", I mean it's so soft that you can pretty easily leave a small but permanent indent with your fingernail. This is what I'm pretty sure is original paint on my Trek 750 and it wipes down with soap and water just fine. But I'd like to go further, with polish and/or rubbing compound. Additionally, I'd like to apply some touch-up in some areas and try to buff/blend/match afterward. I'm certain that the potential is there to damage the paint with even minor abrasives, because of how soft it is.

Have you had a bike with paint as soft as what I'm describing, and what'd you do to bring it up?
Old 03-26-22, 05:58 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,127 Times in 1,967 Posts
Repaint, and thin no more.

Ive had good success with T-cut and mothers. And I have only had to repaint half of the time (kidding about that).

Im surprised since Trek paint is usually pretty durable in my experience.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-26-22, 06:16 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
It's only original once. I approach refinish decisions slowly.
Wash, treat any rust, wax a small section to see how the paint polishes. If it isn't as bright as you like try a 'mild cleaner polish' (on a different section) without much pressure, then wax. Rubbing compound comes next. Doing the frame this way is no small task, get some small brushes and clean cloths for the job. How many components are you wanting to remove?

When you've got what you want with the frame paint then look for your touch-up. I will let more qualified people describe feathering the sections with new matching paint. For small chips a q-tip often beats a tiny brush. Wax, wax, wax.
Ride, ride, ride. That's really all that matters.

edit: Check out the Before and After thread in C&V - shows examples of repaint and polishing magic.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-26-22 at 06:28 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-26-22, 06:22 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Soft paint is almost certainly rattle can paint.

It is almost certainly NOT original paint unless it has been exposed to some sort of chemical vapors or other damage.

Try baking the frame. Make an oven using rigid foam insulation from the hardware store and aluminum duct tape. Put a heater inside and your frame. Bake for 24 hours at 100 deg C.

If that doesn't fix it, nothing will. Rattle can paint does go bad (has a shelf life). If it wasn't properly mixed (shake the can and rattle the ball), it could be bad, too.
Old 03-26-22, 07:44 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
I'm a painter. It is possible that at the factory they didn't get enough activator into the paint before they sprayed. That is a very easy mistake to make. Imron used to have a 3 to 1 ratio before it became 6 to 1. Or they may have thought they were adding activator but used reducer instead. Or they may have taken a break and thought they added the activator before the break but didn't.

My recommendation is to do what Bad Lag suggested and heat the frame up. Putting it into a parked car in the sun for a few hours is what I would try 1st. That requires little effort and will lead to the best results.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 03-26-22 at 08:26 PM.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 03-26-22, 07:56 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Remind your paint of Rule #5...
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 03-27-22, 07:19 AM
hokiefyd 

I appreciate all the responses. I bought the bike from an older gent who claimed to be the original owner and he didn't seem like the type who would have resprayed it. The drive side chain stay has the original (and crackled) clear film protector still applied. The decals appear to be all original. You can "feel" them, but they may be under a very thin clear coat. I have sprayed a frame before, and this seems even softer than that. It feels almost like a very thin thermoplastic vs. paint.

Perhaps it has been exposed to some sort of environmental condition that degraded the finish. I will say that, despite its relatively good appearance on the outside, I found a lot of red-dust-rust inside the tubes when I took the bottom bracket out shortly after I bought it. I don't know if that may be indicative of some sort of environmental damage. It does look "cloudy" in some areas, but it doesn't seem patchy or splotchy -- whatever happened to the paint, whether it was an external factor or an improper mix from the factory, seems to be relatively consistent across the paint.

And it's that slight cloudiness that I'm trying to bring up on it, if I can. I am not interested in re-painting or powdercoating. If my chances of good results are 50/50, then I'll probably leave it alone.
Old 03-27-22, 07:35 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 544 Posts
Doug Fattic Would paint remain soft after 30 years? I would think that if it isn’t cured by now it won’t ever cure. If the frame has recently been wiped down with a solvent that would explain the soft paint.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 03-27-22, 07:38 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,127 Times in 1,967 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I'm a painter. It is possible that at the factory they didn't get enough activator into the paint before they sprayed. That is a very easy mistake to make. Imron used to have a 3 to 1 ratio before it became 6 to 1. Or they may have thought they were adding activator but used reducer instead. Or they may have taken a break and thought they added the activator before the break but didn't.

My recommendation is to do what Bad Lag suggested and heat the frame up. Putting it into a parked car in the sun for a few hours is what I would try 1st. That requires little effort and will lead to the best results.
That is a great idea. Would that also help with rattle can paint?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-27-22, 09:15 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by RustyJames
Doug Fattic Would paint remain soft after 30 years? I would think that if it isn’t cured by now it won’t ever cure. If the frame has recently been wiped down with a solvent that would explain the soft paint.
The kind of paint Trek used years ago was a polyurethane paint. It is like epoxy that hardens by chemical action when an activator is mixed with the paint. It has to be sprayed within a certain time window after the activator is added otherwise it will turn into a solid mass in the mixing cup. Often a reducer is a also added to the mix to make it flow better. Sometimes an accelerator is the 4th additive. All of these ingredients have to be mixed in the right ratios or the paint won't harden properly. In other words it will remain soft - exactly like the OP described. Eventually all the solvents in the paint evaporate so the paint isn't still "wet" but neither is it totally solid.

There are times when I've had to wipe down a painted frame with lacquer thinner to remove rattle can paint or something else that shouldn't be there. Sometimes it had to be really soaked to get everything off. It temporarily can soften the bark of the paint a bit but that doesn't last long. It is unlikely that there is any other reason (although anything is possible) for soft paint other than it wasn't mixed properly when it was sprayed. It is easy not get the ratios right.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 03-27-22, 11:08 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
You could put rattle can 2k clearcoat on top. This also has a catalyst (you pop a pin in the bottom of the can and then it's good for 48h). It sets actually pretty hard.
Likes For guy153:
Old 03-28-22, 08:40 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
You could put rattle can 2k clearcoat on top. This also has a catalyst (you pop a pin in the bottom of the can and then it's good for 48h). It sets actually pretty hard.
Yup, just gotta wear proper gear when you do it--2k clear is pretty nasty, but it does the job well!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 03-29-22, 03:01 AM
guy153

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Yup, just gotta wear proper gear when you do it--2k clear is pretty nasty, but it does the job well!
I use it outdoors and with a respirator. Yes it's pretty good. I was doing some tests the other day on some tubing I had with it on (long story, I was modifying a frame to add more standover height, so the old painted TT has now been donated to science). I tried bashing it with a steel tube comparing with an old powder-coated chainstay I have from a Trek frame I have that failed. The powder coat is definitely tougher (it's incredible that stuff), but the 2k clear coated tube was only becoming damaged at the point that the tube was actually getting small dents in it. In scientific terms I was whacking it somewhere between "pretty hard" and "really quite hard" before it was coming off. A coating with spray.bike really just needs a somewhat mild tap before it starts coming off.

The acid test is whether it can survive sandblasting with stones and mud from winter riding (spray.bike can't). I've only used it so far on bikes that have fenders anyway (and they're fine).

And I don't know how much of a problem it is if the paint underneath it is still soft. I use regular acrylic paint under the 2k and leave it like a week indoors to absolutely completely dry out because one the 2k is on it's all going to be sealed in. Whether this is a problem depends on how flexible the 2k is.

When buying the stuff also make sure you get the gloss one if that's what you want (there's a gloss, a satin and maybe a matt). The gloss actually looks really good.
Likes For guy153:
Old 03-29-22, 06:19 AM
hokiefyd 

This 2K Clear Coat from SprayMax -- this is the stuff you guys are talking about? I've never heard of it, but it looks interesting. I appreciate the use tips.

https://www.spraymax.com/en/products...2k-clear-coat/
Old 03-29-22, 09:23 AM
guy153

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
This 2K Clear Coat from SprayMax -- this is the stuff you guys are talking about? I've never heard of it, but it looks interesting. I appreciate the use tips.

https://www.spraymax.com/en/products...2k-clear-coat/
Yes that's the stuff. That one with 36E on the can is "satin". You want the 88E for full lush glossiness. It's quite pricey but works. One thing to watch out for is give it at least 48h before building the bike back up, ideally longer (or just be careful) to let it reach full hardness.
Likes For guy153:
Old 03-29-22, 09:43 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

I've never used SprayMax myself because I have professional equipment. Their rattle cans can be loaded with the same paint I use (primers and color coats - not just clears). The SprayMax clears are polyurethane enamels (or urethane enamel) that have to be activated with a separate activator so the paint chemically hardens. Most paints hardens because the solvents in the paint that allow it to flow out evaporate. Heating just speeds up the process. Just to be clear SparyMax cans have a button you push on the bottom of the can that then mixes the activator with the paint. If you don't use it within a certain time period it will harden solid in the can.

If I was going to paint a frame without all my pro equipment, I would use SparyMax primers too. These are also catalyzed paint like epoxy. This gives a good foundation for the color coats and clears that go on top. As I understand it, Automotive paint stores can fill almost any kind of paint they carry in stock into SprayMax cans.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 03-29-22, 10:54 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
I haven't used the 2k clear coat, but I have used the primer and black paints, both worked out great. I did etch the frame immediately before applying the primer. I don't know if it helped but it didn't hurt the process.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 03-30-22, 06:18 PM
hokiefyd 

I appreciate the suggestions on the 2x clear coat, and I also appreciate and respect the thought that it's original only once, and it's original only until it's not. I do have another (and not valuable) bike frame in my stable that I do intend to rattle can this season. It's already been spray bombed and I have a pretty classy combination of colors that I'd like to use on it...I believe I may try the 2x clear on that frame and, based on my results and experience from that, only then consider to attempt some improvement on this Trek.