Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help needed with cable stop

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-22, 05:36 PM
rovis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

{cross posting from General)

Hi,
The chainstay cable stop broke on my Bianchi intenso. I had no luck contacting their US distributor, their Italian support, or finding a replacement part anywhere. Contacted some carbon frame fixing shops, and it doesn't look like they are interested in a job like this.

The ideal plan is to find the part and glue it and rivet it to the frame. Any known resources?
Any alternative ideas? I'd like to keep the fix as close to original shape as possible.

Old 05-25-22, 07:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
If one is handy with files and such making/forming a cable stop wouldn't be hard. And one could increase the stay contact area to increase the joint strength. Small Parts - Cable Stops (cycle-frames.com) Nova has listed some options.

I doubt you'll find the OEM type and I think what you do settle on will need some reshaping to the contact surface to make the bonding more likely to work well. Andy
Old 05-26-22, 02:21 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
How about something like this, will that work for you?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33400964754...cAAOSwS~JgqJSX

Old 05-26-22, 07:45 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
My eyes see a non round stay cross sectional shape. Remember that carbon is a poor material when a compressive force is applied. MY initial thought was the same, use a clamp on stop (and one can be held in place with 1 or 2 tiny hose clamps if the stay is an off diameter). But seeing what I think is a non round stay I would avoid and clamping that didn't exactly match the crossection shape. Andy
Old 05-26-22, 08:01 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
+1 with both posts from Andrew. Also check Framebuilding Suppliers - Bike Forums And asking in the Framebuilders Framebuilders - Bike Forums section may give some more answers as well.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-26-22, 12:09 PM
rovis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for your replies. The clamp solution, not very inclined to it since the stay is not quite round in section. I could probably use some rubber in-between clamp and frame, but not too elegant imo.
The closest replacement part I've found so far is on this page: https://cycle-frames.com/collections...t-black-finish
Need to check if the cable casing fits and was suggested to use only epoxy to glue it to the frame. Has holes for riveting, but not sure I need to add those.
Old 05-26-22, 12:16 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Would you be able to post a close-up picture of the chainstay where the cable stop used to be? I presume it's a separate part that "fell out" for lack of a better word, and it sounds like there may be one or more openings there to anchor it? A photo may give some folks some ideas on what could be done. I think epoxying something in is likely going to be the most straight-forward solution.

Well...I guess converting to Di2 is the most straight-forward solution.
Old 05-26-22, 12:46 PM
rovis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Would you be able to post a close-up picture of the chainstay where the cable stop used to be? I presume it's a separate part that "fell out" for lack of a better word, and it sounds like there may be one or more openings there to anchor it? A photo may give some folks some ideas on what could be done. I think epoxying something in is likely going to be the most straight-forward solution.

Well...I guess converting to Di2 is the most straight-forward solution.
Yes, was a separate part and came off cleanly, leaving two empty holes. Frame is fine.
Upgrading... hm, no!
It's a nice bike, good components (Ultegra all around) and what I later appreciated most, frame is more "accommodating" than common CF bikes. Including the one I've got after this mishap. I guess that "CV" compound they add to some frames helps in terms of comfort.

The plan is to fix it and sell it.

Last edited by rovis; 05-26-22 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-27-22, 11:19 AM
rovis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's a photo of the affected area. It looks like the stop wasn't glued to the frame (there's a round shape visible around the holes) if judging by the gunk present all around the holes.
I'm going to get a couple of stops from the cycle-frames that look close to what I need and see if they would work.