Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

I need ideas for a new bike

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-13, 10:08 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I will be buying a new bike this spring, and I want to go beyond my usual "buy a used mountain bike and put fenders and slicks on it." I want to keep it under $800 unless there is a VERY good reason to spend more.

I'm male, almost 58, (ahem) stocky. I ride about 10-30 miles a day, occasionally much more. Mostly on pavement, but I do like occasional shortcuts on dirt paths. Hardly any hills around here. I'm used to flat handlebars, but I can do drop bars too.

I will consider almost anything, so try to make a good case for your suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-21-13, 11:19 AM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I will be buying a new bike this spring, and I want to go beyond my usual "buy a used mountain bike and put fenders and slicks on it." I want to keep it under $800 unless there is a VERY good reason to spend more.

I'm male, almost 58, (ahem) stocky. I ride about 10-30 miles a day, occasionally much more. Mostly on pavement, but I do like occasional shortcuts on dirt paths. Hardly any hills around here. I'm used to flat handlebars, but I can do drop bars too.

I will consider almost anything, so try to make a good case for your suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help!
Sounds like you could use a new Trek Hybrid. That's what I have and I love it.
Old 04-21-13, 11:20 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'd head over to the cyclo cross forum and see what they are doing.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-21-13, 11:55 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 859 Posts
Let's assume you have bikes well suited to your common uses and the conditions you encounter. So, your question begs the question: what would you like to do on a bike that you have not done yet? How about the 24 hour national challenge (in Middleville, MI., maybe not too far away..?) If not that, maybe some rando rides in your area? I did the N24HC last year; it's a really special ride. I also did a couple rando series, and these events are also very special. Either way, you can set your own goals and have fun reaching them.

If this moves you, then a rando bike would be a decent choice. It can be more comfortable and more useful for long rides than the converted mountain bike, and you'll enjoy it for many long rides where you don't need a bunch of camping gear and such (it's not just for events and training).

In the rando world, something old or unusual is not a drawback, as it might be with the spandex crowd; it's sort of a badge of honor to have bar end or downtube shifters instead of brifters, for example. So, as long as your accessories serve their purpose, they can be had on the cheap, and you can stay within your budget. Take an old racing or touring bike, add fenders and lights, maybe an extra bottle cage or two, a handlebar bag, and learn how to eat, drink and ride all day. It's not the suffer-fest you might anticipate *if* you learn your lessons in training. Your daily mileage already puts you on the fast track; you need only to add a long ride each weekend for a few months.

Last edited by chewybrian; 04-21-13 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-21-13, 12:09 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by cycleobsidian
Sounds like you could use a new Trek Hybrid. That's what I have and I love it.
A hybrid is something I have considered. I have no experience with them. What do you like about yours? Anything you don't like?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-21-13, 12:12 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Artkansas
I'd head over to the cyclo cross forum and see what they are doing.
Another type I have considered. I test rode once--don't remember what kind--and thought it seemed a little stiff and less nimble than a MTB. I wonder if all cross bikes are like that, or just the one I rode?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-21-13, 12:14 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
I will be buying a new bike this spring, and I want to go beyond my usual "buy a used mountain bike and put fenders and slicks on it."
Is there something wrong or lacking with your present bike?
Old 04-21-13, 12:18 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Another type I have considered. I test rode once--don't remember what kind--and thought it seemed a little stiff and less nimble than a MTB. I wonder if all cross bikes are like that, or just the one I rode?
Which brings up the question, what kind of a bicycling experience are you looking for? Speed, agility, comfort, distance, convenience? That would help a lot.

Until then, all we can do is suggest kinds of bikes below $1,000.00 and hope something sticks. So let me recommend a tandem, a recumbent, a chopper, a scraper, a bike polo bike, a BMX bike, a tall bike, a foldie and a unicycle.

Or this.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 04-21-13 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 12:25 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is there something wrong or lacking with your present bike?
Yes.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-21-13, 12:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Yes.
What? Or was it never what you really wanted? If so, as Arkansas asked in post #8, what purpose do you want it for?

The reason I ask is once I have a bike that works for me I have never had to replace it unless I had a new requirement or the bike was wrecked. My current 13 year old bike has over 50,000 miles and it only cost about $130 new and I made about $100-$150 of modifications/add-ons. I have no intention of replacing it until it rusts through.
Old 04-21-13, 01:33 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My current 13 year old bike has over 50,000 miles and it only cost about $130 new and I made about $100-$150 of modifications/add-ons. I have no intention of replacing it until it rusts through.
My main bike currently is a late '80s Specialized Hard Rock. It was a freebie, and I spent about $100 modifying it for utility use. After about 6 years of use, I opted for an overhaul and put $300.00 into the bike (wheels, BB, chain, cluster, brakes, cables, etc)and it has served flawlessly since.

But I also have a Bacchetta Giro 20 for longer, more relaxed trips and long-distance commuting, a Giant Stiletto chopper for use in parades, and two vintage 10 speeds. So it's what experience do you want to have?

Old 04-21-13, 02:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Why don't you test ride few different bikes ??.. and see which one fits you, which one you like the most,and which one you think will serve YOUR RIDING
NEEDS the best. Only you can make the decision, other people can't choose a bike for you.

Last edited by wolfchild; 04-21-13 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 02:38 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I am partial to the ready to go city bikes, most will handle some light trail work. Mine is a Redline R530 (out of production) however Giant and Trek have a couple of nice ones currently on the market. I would go IGH, fenders and rack at bare minimum.

The Giant is the Via 1 they also have a Via 2 which has more gears. The Trek model was the Belleville but apparently it has been discontinued. Torker has some has several models that I like too. The T-800 is similar to my Redline R530 they also have the Graduate which one of my friends rides.

Breezer makes some nice city bikes too, but they are hard to find in the shops. Torker can be ordered by just about any shop.

Good luck with your hunting and make sure you come back and post pictures!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-21-13, 02:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
How about one of these: Bullitt https://www.larryvsharry.com/english/
pretty light for all the stuff you can carry on it.
Obviously the Danish guys saw the Steve McQueen film of the same name..

I think Calhoun in MN has them..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-21-13 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 02:51 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
A gravel cross urban backstreet mixte commuter with 30mm+ tires, upright bars, 3 x 8, sprung seat, gas pipe, cup holder (no...make that foam beer holder), an obvious step through for your future arthritic rump with "I could give a sh$$ attitude".
Old 04-21-13, 02:55 PM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
You might look at the Trek fitness series of bikes 7.2,3,4,5,6 etc. They have mounts for racks, fenders, mid fork eyelets in front and come with 700X32 tires, which you can do some dirt with. The fitness series starts in your price range.

However if I were you I would be looking at a dedicated touring bike. I believe they are the most versatile bikes on the market although most are above your price point.

Just my opinion others may feel differently,

Allen
Old 04-21-13, 02:57 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts

For the kind of riding you have mentioned this would be a good choice right out of the Box. https://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applica...cat_grp=strt_1 Jamis tends to give a lot of bang for the buck in my opinion. 700x32s will take you on hard packed dirt and light gravel.
Old 04-21-13, 05:47 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by wahoonc
Breezer makes some nice city bikes too, but they are hard to find in the shops.
Not only that but the company doesn't repond to inquiries as to where nearest dealers can be found.
Old 04-21-13, 05:58 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Why don't you test ride few different bikes ??.. and see which one fits you, which one you like the most,and which one you think will serve YOUR RIDING
NEEDS the best. Only you can make the decision, other people can't choose a bike for you.
I understand that nobody can make the decision, but some recommendations on bikes to look at will be appreciated.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-21-13, 06:07 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

What? Or was it never what you really wanted? If so, as Arkansas asked in post #8, what purpose do you want it for?

The reason I ask is once I have a bike that works for me I have never had to replace it unless I had a new requirement or the bike was wrecked. My current 13 year old bike has over 50,000 miles and it only cost about $130 new and I made about $100-$150 of modifications/add-ons. I have no intention of replacing it until it rusts through.
It's kind of embarrassing. I locked the bike to my porch rail with a big ol' kryptonite u-lock. Then I lost the key. Or somebody else lost the key--there is no consensus. I took the porch apart and freed the bike, but I can't get the lock off. Now if I ride that bike, I have a wicked big lock swinging between my legs. That takes some of the fun out of riding, so I'm ready to move on to a new bike.

Actually, I have never owned a new bike since I was 17 years old. I want to try one now.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-21-13, 06:08 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Artkansas
My main bike currently is a late '80s Specialized Hard Rock. It was a freebie, and I spent about $100 modifying it for utility use. After about 6 years of use, I opted for an overhaul and put $300.00 into the bike (wheels, BB, chain, cluster, brakes, cables, etc)and it has served flawlessly since.

But I also have a Bacchetta Giro 20 for longer, more relaxed trips and long-distance commuting, a Giant Stiletto chopper for use in parades, and two vintage 10 speeds. So it's what experience do you want to have?
I have always done the same as you, but now I want to try a brand new ride.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-21-13, 06:13 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Baboo
You might look at the Trek fitness series of bikes 7.2,3,4,5,6 etc. They have mounts for racks, fenders, mid fork eyelets in front and come with 700X32 tires, which you can do some dirt with. The fitness series starts in your price range.

However if I were you I would be looking at a dedicated touring bike. I believe they are the most versatile bikes on the market although most are above your price point.

Just my opinion others may feel differently,

Allen
I have looked T the treks, they seem real nice. The touring bike is a good idea also. I would consider spending more if there were a good reason.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-21-13, 06:15 PM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cruzbike Does It All

Build a Cruzbike with this kit for $395. You supply a used mountain bike with full suspension. https://cruzbike.com/conversion-kit

If you go beyond your budget and buy the Sofrider fully built it would be $1195. I've read that some bike shops will discount these a bit as they do with most bicycles.

These do well off road especially since they have front wheel drive. Fit them with knobbies, slicks, and anything in between.
Old 04-21-13, 06:23 PM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A hybrid is something I have considered. I have no experience with them. What do you like about yours? Anything you don't like?
What I don't like about them: They don't feel as steady as a mountain bike but I got used to it.

What I do like about them: Great, smooth ride, ease of climbing hills, faster than a mountain bike, gear shifting is effortless.

I love my Trek FX (I forget if it is a 7.2 or a 7.3.)
Old 04-21-13, 06:26 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have heard that an angle grinder should be able to take care of the old U lock, and restore the old bike to service.

But, for the clarion call of N+1, that will take some shopping.

My recumbent has a rear rack for panniers and I can get another rack for the center, so it's quite capable of doing errands. You'd like the heads-up riding position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.