Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike stolen, Kryptonite U-lock cut

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-09, 10:08 PM
dizon510
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So my bike was stolen today, the top of my Kryptonite U-lock was on the ground and the U in the dirt a few feet away. The lock was cut straight through. The bike was parked in the middle of a plaza in the center of several dorms. Unfortunately, I didn't buy any insurance on the lock. Now I'm questioning whether I should get a new bike. It's kind of disturbing to see my brand name U-lock cut in a highly visible area. The local police warn that bike theft is a major problem on campus, but I always assumed those bikes were locked up poorly with cheap cables. It looks like the thieves around here know what they are doing. I'm a college student on a budget, which the main reason I bought a bike in the first place. With my $500 bike gone and my $40 lock cut, the cost effectiveness of this type of transportation is not looking so hot. Given this experience, should I hold off on biking until I graduate from this high-crime campus?
Old 06-05-09, 10:21 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which model Kryptonite lock and did the cut look to be ground, hacksawed or a bolt cutter cut? The Kryptonite New York series U locks reportedly use much harder to grind through steel in the shackle, which is also larger in diameter.

If the thief used an angle grinder, and has time, then no lock can save a bike. Many U locks can reportedly be cut with one of those in a minute or less. The NY Fahgettaboudit reportedly will take 10 minutes or more to cut even with an angle grinder.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 06-05-09, 10:26 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
get a less attractive bike... english 3sp for instance, is very unattractive and should cost less than $60 for one that is working in pristine condition.

which campus btw? because I never want to go there

many ways of defeating U-locks, angle grinder, mini bottle jack, etc...
hell, not even your wheels are safe even if you're using special lock nuts
Old 06-05-09, 10:26 PM
degnaw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

Honestly, if it's really a high crime campus, I wouldn't keep a bike worth more than $200 locked up outdoors for more than an hour or two at a time, even if I had a better lock. As such, I have a $25 lock and keep my $450 bike in-dorm. (and Penn State in State CollegePA is as low crime as you can get)
Old 06-05-09, 10:31 PM
Nighteyez

Bikes: Mongoose XR-75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sucks. I had a bike stolen back when I was in the military (totally my fault, I was too stupid to lock it up at a local Burger King) and know the feeling. The long walk home just added insult to injury. If you still want to ride to campus, I would suggest a used beater, or a dept store junk bike. Thieves usually pass those up for the nicer ones. Still, if they are cutting through locks, nothing is going to stop them except maybe a passing cop.
Old 06-05-09, 10:32 PM
dizon510
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The lock is a "Kryptonite KryptoLok® series 2 ATB". I'm not really familiar with tools so I cant judge how it was cut. The faces of the metal on each side of the cut do not look very smooth. The campus is UCLA.
Old 06-05-09, 11:02 PM
Big_e
Strong with the Fred

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Darn! Sorry to hear about your bike and lock. Someone had the time to saw through a lock and nobody challenged him. If crime is THAT bad at the campus do what AEO suggests. I got a real nice Puch Commuter for $80 dollars. Look for a good bargain bike and keep using a good lock.
Ernest
Old 06-05-09, 11:04 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
ah, yes, it's a relatively big shackle... larger shackles are easier to defeat because its easier to get a tool between it. get the smallest practical lock that will go around your frame.

unfortunately, nothing is 100% secure, even the most expensive locks can be defeated by power tools, and if they can't get your bike, they'll just take whatever is unsecured.

complain to your campus, say that it's very unattractive with its high crime rate, throw that lock in their face for skimping out on security.
if you aren't discouraged yet, ask for a krypto NY STD or krypto NY FU lock.
Old 06-06-09, 12:27 AM
MaroSteve
Ciao!

Bikes: legnanoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get another bike, get 3 kryptonite locks..

and get a gun.

It wont happen again.
Old 06-06-09, 12:53 AM
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Another aspect is how was your lock used? Was it just around a single tube and the bike rack/post? There are a handful of theories around on how to lock up your bike. I subscribe to the "Sheldon Brown Method" myself.

Sorry for your loss man. Good luck.

[Edit] If your front wheel is quick-release use a thick braided Krypto cable to lasso the front rim and bring the other end into the U-lock.

Last edited by TheDL; 06-06-09 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-06-09, 01:10 AM
dizon510
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The U lock went around the frame, rear wheel, bike post, and cable that wrapped around the front wheel. This method is supposed to be more secure than what sheldon brown does. thief just cut that sucker off.
Old 06-06-09, 01:20 AM
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I agree AEO, if you really need a bike, keep an eye out on Craigslist for a cheap yet operational 80's Japanese bike, $200 or less. Avoid French bikes from this era only because if you ever need a replacement part they're hard to come by.

And still practice the same thorough locking technique.
Old 06-06-09, 01:22 AM
Celos
Two Wheeled Maniac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a bike stolen at UCLA when I was a student there, back in the 20th Century. U-Locks weren't as sophisticated then, but it still sucked.

The convenience of having a bike on campus vs. the hassle of having to lock it up and worry about theft is something only you can decide. If you're not riding far, then a cheap bike is probably the way to go.
Old 06-06-09, 01:29 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That sucks. When looking for a lock try and get one that is either ART Foundation four star, or Sold Secure gold rated. These two organizations are independent testers for the insurance industry, and their highest rated locks tend to be the best you can get. Of course they cost a bit more money, and are heavier, but it's well worth it in the end.

Do you register your bike with Kryptonite for insurance? If so, make sure to get a police report and keep the broken lock.

https://www.stichtingart.nl/sloten_resultaat.asp - check 'Foto's tonen' for photos.

https://www.soldsecure.com/search?pro...mpany=&action=

EDIT: the KryptoLok series 2 ATB is at the lower end of the Kryptonite line. As this is the second report of this lock being defeated that I've read about here on BF in as many weeks I'd say avoid it like the plague.

Also, do you have any photos of the lock? Thanks.

Last edited by Cyclist0383; 06-06-09 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-06-09, 02:13 AM
TrekJapan
Each Drop of Sweat Counts

Bikes: Trek FX2, Trek Verve 3, Dahon Launch D8, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 23 Times in 4 Posts
Get a folding bike and take it in the dorm with you and in classes. If you get one of those carrying bags nobody will likely ever say anything.

I take mine in yoga class sometimes when it's raining. Girls that would never speak to me under ordinary circumstances will come up and say something brilliant like "Is that a bike?"

Anyway it's a conversation starter.

John
Old 06-06-09, 02:21 AM
IbikezLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dizon510
The lock is a "Kryptonite KryptoLok® series 2 ATB". I'm not really familiar with tools so I cant judge how it was cut. The faces of the metal on each side of the cut do not look very smooth. The campus is UCLA.
OH crap, there was nothing you could do there man. There have been some serious thieves hitting UCLA. I've been hearing that they're even cutting the rails people lock their bikes too You've got guys with power tools roaming your campus, watch out!!!!!!
Old 06-06-09, 06:03 AM
Stray8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With my $500 bike gone and my $40 lock cut, the cost effectiveness of this type of transportation is not looking so hot. Given this experience, should I hold off on biking until I graduate from this high-crime campus?

Don't ever leave expensive bikes unattended. Do get a basic $100 bike from Dept store for commuting to class. It'll do your legs some good... Besides, you can lose five of those for each $500 bike (and they'll probably won't even want to take them). The loss of equipment cachet will be more than made up for in lack of aggravation in having it stolen.

Old 06-06-09, 06:14 AM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SOunds like this campus is such a hell-hole that anything he locks out, with any type of lock will get stolen.

Get a cheap, ugly, garbage, but functional bike, and lock it out with a cheap u lock. Expect to replace it often.
Old 06-06-09, 06:17 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$20 MTB from Craigslist.
Old 06-06-09, 07:42 AM
anthony691

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd say, blame the lock. I've seen the KryptoLok series 2 ATB in person, and it didn't seem any beefier than a department store u-lock, and appears less solid than the competition (OnGuard Bulldog).

Try a Krypto NY FU. You can get them on eBay for $66 w/ free shipping. I've been using mine to lock up a more expensive bike all over Chicago for years without any problems--my greater concerns have always been the locking object getting cut or component theft.

Supposedly it takes >10 minutes to defeat one with a battery-powered angle grinder.

The biggest drawback is that the NYFU is insanely heavy (I think about ten pounds). No matter how you carry it, you're going to know that it is there.
Old 06-06-09, 08:38 AM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Reviews say that thieves may have master keys. I have the same lock! I've been feeling reasonably assured that my bicycle is secure when using the Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2, until now ...

I also have a Kryptonite New York Chain 5 foot (!). This is the most heavy duty lock I've found so far. I suppose there are thieves who could break this lock too in a short time.

I also have Pitlock skewers, but haven't installed them yet. I completely forgot about them! In addition to those two locks I have a KryptoFlex 7 foot cable, with a heavy-duty lock. I've read that these are very easy to cut in less than a minute.

My son is using my Kryptonite New York now for his bicycle, so I need to get a new one for my LHT. I'm really paranoid now about somebody stealing my bicycle ....
Old 06-06-09, 10:00 AM
tblott3
Archiboy

Bikes: 08 Xootr Swift, 06 Kona Smoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekJapan
Get a folding bike and take it in the dorm with you and in classes.
John
+1

they fit in bars, too...not that you would ever need to go into one...
Old 06-06-09, 11:05 AM
degnaw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
EDIT: the KryptoLok series 2 ATB is at the lower end of the Kryptonite line. As this is the second report of this lock being defeated that I've read about here on BF in as many weeks I'd say avoid it like the plague.
I thought this too. But honestly, unless you're keeping a high value bike outside all day every day or something in a high crime area, you don't really need a better lock. If you are doing any of those things, by all means get a better one.
Old 06-06-09, 11:17 AM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would also suggest sending a nice letter with the cut lock and if possible the sales receipt of the bike to Kryptonite and explain what happened. You have nothing to lose.

In the interim, I would complain to campus security.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-09, 11:30 AM
Commando303

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the theft of your bike. I don't think any "advice" on buying a stronger lock next time, or making your next bicycle look like moving crap, is going to make you feel much better now, but I will suggest you contact Kryptonite about your situation (keep the cut lock you found!). Even if you didn't get the insurance, you might get some benefit (on their Web site, at least, Kryptonite says to contact them in this sort of situation).

I don't want to give you false hope: I think, odds are, your bike will never be with you again. Nonetheless, file a police report.

Again, sorry to hear what happened to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.