Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Best Saddle Height?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Best Saddle Height?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 02:38 PM
3dbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best Saddle Height?

with a height of 176cm an inseam of approximately 82.3cm a shoe size 45 and pedaling cranks 172.5mm long what should be the approximate ideal height (I need a general value it doesn't have to be precise)

72cm?
72.5cm?
73 pm?
Old 01-06-24, 04:46 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
72.8 is a good starting point. spend $35 and try www.myvelofit.com and you get pretty close....
Old 01-06-24, 05:25 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I think your problem is the metric system. Sit on the saddle with your heel on the pedal. Adjust the saddle height so that your leg is *almost* straight. After that, raise or lower the height by 1/4 inch, and see what feels better after riding ten miles (not kilometers). You shouldn't take the guidelines too seriously. See for yourself what feels right..
Old 01-06-24, 06:29 PM
Eyes Roll

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
It depends on personal preference and personal technique of bike riding. I raise my saddle (and also my handlebar) to a height that allows me to touch the ground at a traffic intersection with the fingers of my right foot (i.e., not resting the entire right foot on the ground) while I am still seated on the saddle, as illustrated in the pictures below.. This position enables me to extend my feet to the maximum to kick the pedals smoother and faster and to ride my bikes faster. A lower saddle position gives me a slower ride and makes my feet and pedaling uncomfortable when riding long distances.

If it is necessary, because I cannot balance myself properly with the fingers of my right foot, I get off the bike completely and get to this position 👇.

Old 01-07-24, 12:13 AM
3dbiker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jadmt
72.8 is a good starting point. spend $35 and try www.myvelofit.com and you get pretty close....
I too would have thought 72.8cm but in theory I should remove 0.25mm from the result obtained with the Lemond formula because I use 172.5 and not 170 cranks so the most correct saddle height is perhaps 72.5cm?

There are two questions I would like to have clearer

1) When the book or level used to calculate the height of the inseam must be wide... for example, using a 5cm wide book will result in a measurement of the Inseam that is almost 1cm lower than using a book or a wide level 2 or 3 cm (it goes higher)

2) I am 175cm tall but have an oversized foot size 45, does this fact influence the calculation of the saddle height? Doesn't it cause an increase in leverage?
Old 01-07-24, 12:16 AM
3dbiker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I think your problem is the metric system. Sit on the saddle with your heel on the pedal. Adjust the saddle height so that your leg is *almost* straight. After that, raise or lower the height by 1/4 inch, and see what feels better after riding ten miles (not kilometers). You shouldn't take the guidelines too seriously. See for yourself what feels right..
Do I have to wear shoes when using the heel system? because on YouTube in some videos this method is used without shoes
Old 01-07-24, 05:06 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by 3dbiker
I too would have thought 72.8cm but in theory I should remove 0.25mm from the result obtained with the Lemond formula because I use 172.5 and not 170 cranks so the most correct saddle height is perhaps 72.5cm?

There are two questions I would like to have clearer

1) When the book or level used to calculate the height of the inseam must be wide... for example, using a 5cm wide book will result in a measurement of the Inseam that is almost 1cm lower than using a book or a wide level 2 or 3 cm (it goes higher)

2) I am 175cm tall but have an oversized foot size 45, does this fact influence the calculation of the saddle height? Doesn't it cause an increase in leverage?
i am 174 with 82 and wear 45-45.5 shoe my bike has 172,5 cranks and using the myvelofit 72.5 shows in range for me. Seat is height is easy to adjust so try different heights see how it feels and go from there
Old 01-07-24, 05:33 AM
3dbiker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jadmt
i am 174 with 82 and wear 45-45.5 shoe my bike has 172,5 cranks and using the myvelofit 72.5 shows in range for me. Seat is height is easy to adjust so try different heights see how it feels and go from there
So are you comfortable with a saddle height of 72.5 or have you changed it?
Old 01-07-24, 06:07 AM
jadmt

So are you comfortable with a saddle height of 72.5 or have you changed it?
Works for me.
Old 01-07-24, 11:03 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Do I have to wear shoes when using the heel system? because on YouTube in some videos this method is used without shoes
I recommend that you wear shoes. And realize that you will have an unconscious tendency to compensate if the saddle isn't in the exact perfect location. If too high, you may dip you toes downward, or possibly rock your hips left and right as you pedal. If too low, you may feel the stress in your knees, especially on climbs. Even when you find the "perfect" height, a forward or rearward adjustment may be productive.
I once developed a twinge in my left knee which went away after I moved the saddle forward about a quarter inch. You may get close to perfect with a measuring tape, but a few miles of pedaling will tell you for sure. When it's right, you won't even think about it anymore.
Old 01-07-24, 01:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Saddle height for what type of bike? And if you are riding at a slow pace for just leisure and a little exercise, your saddle can be much lower that what someone that rides like an all out adrenaline junkie.

My inseam is 34.5 inches or about 87.63 cm. My saddle height from the pedal when furthest away from where I sit is 37½" give or take eyeballing the top of the saddle. That's about 109% of my inseam. For me that has always resulted in a height that I can put my heel on the pedal when seated and it has my leg stretched out as some recommend for a quicky way to get your saddle in the ballpark height... on a road bike.

With your inseam of 82.3 that would suggest a saddle height of 89.7 cm if measured from the pedal furthest away from the saddle point where you sit normally. Or subtracting the 172.5 mm cranks, that would be 72.2 cm measured from the BB center.

I find that that 109% of my inseam is usually my max saddle height. I sometimes lower it a cm or two during the winter when I typically ride for shorter periods and slower speeds. You might find different depending on whether you dip your toe as you pedal.

So just put your saddle somewhere and see what that does. Record all the data about speeds and stuff you can get from any device you might use. As well your perceptions about how your legs felt with regard to fit. Then if no adverse things are bothering you, then wait for a dozen rides or so and then maybe go higher or lower a cm and try that out. Again if you aren't having adverse issues of pain then ride that for 12 or so rides and compare everything and make a decision if one was better or not. If not, then consider changing even more. Or don't change at all.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-07-24 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-08-24, 09:52 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
72cm?
72.5cm?
73 pm?
You're splitting hairs and the knees and ankles are quite adaptable. If you have to finish your pedal stroke by pointing your toes or rocking your hips, or you find yourself always creeping to the front of the saddle, or if it feels like someone is driving a wedge into your perineum, or if you bounce in the saddle as soon as you get your cadence up, or if you have to coast in order to hitch your butt up to the saddle after standing to pedal, then it's too high. If your quads hurt at the end of a ride, it might be too low. If your knees hurt at the end of a ride, you need to stop pedaling squares.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 01-09-24, 05:58 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
with a height of 176cm an inseam of approximately 82.3cm a shoe size 45 and pedaling cranks 172.5mm long what should be the approximate ideal height (I need a general value it doesn't have to be precise)

72cm?
72.5cm?
73 pm?
You haven't provided much info to "help us help you". What type of bike? What is your riding style? Are you using clipless pedals? How far are you riding? What issues (if any) are you experiencing?

Correct saddle height is much more important if you are on a road bike than if you are on a hybrid or a comfort bike. Saddle height (and fit in general) also becomes more critical if you are putting in a lot of hours and many miles on the bike. A difference of 1cm is not going to make much of a difference If you're just a casual rider.
Old 01-09-24, 08:56 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Eyes Roll
It depends on personal preference and personal technique of bike riding. I raise my saddle (and also my handlebar) to a height that allows me to touch the ground at a traffic intersection with the fingers of my right foot (i.e., not resting the entire right foot on the ground) while I am still seated on the saddle, as illustrated in the pictures below.. This position enables me to extend my feet to the maximum to kick the pedals smoother and faster and to ride my bikes faster. A lower saddle position gives me a slower ride and makes my feet and pedaling uncomfortable when riding long distances.

If it is necessary, because I cannot balance myself properly with the fingers of my right foot, I get off the bike completely and get to this position 👇.

Putting a foot down while still in the saddle is never correct, unless the bike is designed for that (such as a "pedal forward" design, recumbent, etc.) If you can reach the ground with your foot while still seated, your saddle is too low. The correct way to stop and dismount is to come off the saddle, as in the second picture. Not only can you adjust the saddle for the most efficient riding and without undue stress on your knees, but you're also stable while stopped. A lot of people fall and get hurt trying to hold themselves up on the tiptoes of one foot while still seated.

This is what happens, all the time, with beginners:

Foot plant fail

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 01-09-24 at 09:20 AM.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 01-09-24, 10:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Jeff Neese Video was cute! But wasn't it really the difference in pavement height above the shoulder of the road that did her in? It appeared to me that she stopped on the edge of the pavement and would have had to put her foot down on the much lower unpaved shoulder

I have my saddle very high on my tarmac. But I can still stay in the saddle comfortably and put one foot down when stopped. Of course the bike itself is leaning quite a bit. Those crank forward bikes you mention actually allow you to remain in the saddle/seat and put both feet down. That way the heavy loads that many of those crank forward bikes (cargo bikes) are designed to carry can be easily balanced while stopped.
Old 01-09-24, 05:08 PM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Jeff Neese Video was cute! But wasn't it really the difference in pavement height above the shoulder of the road that did her in? It appeared to me that she stopped on the edge of the pavement and would have had to put her foot down on the much lower unpaved shoulder
No, it was not "cute". Did you see that she fell into a ravine and could have been seriously injured? She was lucky. She's clearly a beginner - putting a foot down while still in the saddle is never correct, and nobody ever showed her the right way.

I'd suggest you watch this video, and then practice until it becomes automatic.

Starting and Stopping Smoothly

Here's another one. You can search for more, but they all show the same proper and safe technique of getting out of the saddle while stopping.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 01-09-24 at 09:36 PM.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 01-10-24, 09:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Sure it was cute. You are going to deny that humor can be found in the misfortunes of oneself or others. She wasn't seriously injured. She rolled down the hill. Many of us have rolled down hills intentionally or unintentionally during our life. We didn't get injured.

Even if she'd dismounted the saddle, she still may well have took the tumble. Have you ever experienced stepping off a 2 inch drop in your pathway and not realized the drop? Even when walking forward a two inch drop can really throw you off.

If she had appeared to have been seriously injured then I wouldn't have made light of it. Though likely she seriously injured her partner after he posted the video! <grin>