Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Identify Bottom Bracket Tool Needed ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-24, 05:43 PM
LBCwanabe 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts

This is a new one for me. Thanks for the help!!!

Old 03-01-24, 06:55 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

posting a spline count might help readers to help you

with all the foreign matter present it is difficult to count

-----
Old 03-01-24, 10:56 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
I would like to see the rest of the crank but I suspect it’s a Shimano FFS crank and its backwards Octa-joint bottom bracket. In order to remove the cups, you need an early Shimano freewheel tool, TL-FW20. These are rare but can be found. It fits the splines in the cups and they unscrew like other English-threaded cups: right side cup is left-hand threaded.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 03-02-24, 01:55 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Are you needing to remove the cups in order to replace them with normal parts?

If so, you could use a piece of 1/4" steel flat stock to turn the cups out after cutting or grinding opposing notches adjacent to the splined hole.

A very large adjustable wrench, pipe wrench or bench vise might then be used to apply torque to the flat stock removal tool.

I believe that the needed tool is usually not hollow like common freewheel tools, which makes identifying one a little easier.
Old 03-02-24, 06:36 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
If you're just cleaning, don't bother. Clean them as best you can while there still firmly fixed in place.

I agree with the others though, some more informationa dn cleaner parts would help.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-02-24, 09:35 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I would like to see the rest of the crank but I suspect it’s a Shimano FFS crank and its backwards Octa-joint bottom bracket. In order to remove the cups, you need an early Shimano freewheel tool, TL-FW20. These are rare but can be found. It fits the splines in the cups and they unscrew like other English-threaded cups: right side cup is left-hand threaded.
Might possibly also be an old non-FFS Selecta crankset using the same Octa-joint spindle/cup/crank/chainring design.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...kset-pics.html

https://velobase.com/ViewGroup.aspx?...3-dbe7b7f236eb

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...e8875&Enum=115

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...w&opi=89978449

Sorry for the ridiculous length of that last URL, but Google for some reason grossly obfuscates links in their current search results and I don't have the patience at present to interpret it down to more reasonable form. Also, while the Velobase entry for the crankset (third URL above) indicates a 22x1mm extractor is used, I think that's only for removing the crankarms. I believe this setup uses the same tool Jeff Willis indicates above for removing the FFS BB cups.

OP: Best of luck. If you're planning on restoring the bike to original and don't have the rest of the crankset parts, be advised that you might have difficulty finding the rest of the crankset. They're somewhat rare and very non-standard for the era. If you're not planning on a full restoration to original, destructive cup removal (as dddd suggests) is thus an option.

Last edited by Hondo6; 03-02-24 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Clarity and error correction.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 03-02-24, 12:00 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

One thing about replacing (or not replacing) lower-tier cranksets;
I have come to really like cranksets having a pants leg protector ring. I sometimes go to some length getting such rings to run true, even though that's not always as easy as it sounds.
Being able to jump on a bike without changing out of my lightweight trousers is how I get in about half of my rides these days, finding a hole in the rain forecast and/or making an errands run on any of the lesser bikes (i.e. the ones with such chainring guards and that can be left briefly unattended in public places).
Luckily I live in quite hilly terrain so even a short ride can involve challenging hills so I'm able to maintain some critical muscle mass despite an often busy schedule and/or iffy weather (today = Exhibit A and I've got to get back in time to watch the Daytona Supercross).
I'll try to update this post with a couple of photos of a typical such riding scenario (rain starts in three hours, so give me a couple of hours, lol).
Old 03-02-24, 12:07 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Not sure if I have the right tool or not....
Old 03-02-24, 12:39 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Maybe this one? It fits the very first splined Shimano freewheels, and maybe just because it's early, it's not hollow like the similar one pictured above far right.

Old 03-02-24, 02:31 PM
John D
Not so New

Bikes: I haven't counted lately

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 31 Posts
Yes,The right tool is No Name Splined -3

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Not sure if I have the right tool or not....
​​​​​​Yes,The right tool is No Name Splined -3