Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 06:22 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Factory lube will contaminate it, so does road debris, dirt, grime, etc. The former is avoidable; the latter is not.

Soaking a chain in fuel overnight and rinsing it after is not really ''more work''. I rinse and pre-wash my car before washing it - same principle apply here.
I don't bother avoiding something I don't care about - slightly contaminated wax is still 99.9% wax.

We disagree what work is. Doing stuff that takes your time and effort is work - including the effort it takes to get rid of the dirty solvent.
Old 03-13-24, 06:25 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Waxing a new chain in a sauce pan with a pound of wax isnt doing anything detrimantal and its so much less work and much faster than a crock pot or the silly little 100w silca pot. But yeah I get where you are coming from. You bough into the hype that you need expensive wax, that you don want to ruin, and that the chain MUST be 100.000% clean before it can be waxed. Thus you end up messing with "bike specific" chain degreasers, toxic solvents, ultrasonic cleaning machines, strip chips, crock pots, little waxing machines etc. All a huge faff and expense that you tirelessly try to explain away. I was merely pointing out there is a much easier route. It may not be 100.000% as perfect but it will get you "95%" of the way with notably less faff and expense. - However, ppl refuse to believe it. Only perceived perfection will do, leading to you to dream up random, complicated procedures that only the most anal will keep up in the long run.

IF i cared to clean a chain id do it in an other "dirty" sauce pan with cheap wax. Hot wax will dissolve factory grease or melt away old wax lube. Eliminating any other cleaning product and eliminating getting the chain wet, if hot water is you preferred cleaning method.
What in fact is your alternative?

If it's using cheap candle paraffin, well sure, that'll work. I did it for a while. But if getting something better allows me to get one more week or 100km more out of a waxing, I'm going to spend the money to get something better. Less effort is still less effort even if I do have a pretty neat system in place.

In terms of friction and efficiency, there isn't that big of a difference between candle wax and the best of the best, but there still is a difference, if you care for such a thing. I don't. I care about longevity.

Mind you, the wax I'm using now is a cycling specific special wax (the call it paraffin, but I'm doubtful, since the melting point is around 90 celsius). So far it's best I've tried and holds on really well against water and salt contamination.
It cost me 30 euros for a kilo, so that's around 30 bucks for two pounds. I wouldn't call it excessive.
Old 03-13-24, 07:09 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio

If it's using cheap candle paraffin, well sure, that'll work. I did it for a while. But if getting something better allows me to get one more week or 100km more out of a waxing, I'm going to spend the money to get something better. Less effort is still less effort even if I do have a pretty neat system in place.

In terms of friction and efficiency, there isn't that big of a difference between candle wax and the best of the best, but there still is a difference, if you care for such a thing. I don't. I care about longevity.

Mind you, the wax I'm using now is a cycling specific special wax (the call it paraffin, but I'm doubtful, since the melting point is around 90 celsius). So far it's best I've tried and holds on really well against water and salt contamination.
It cost me 30 euros for a kilo, so that's around 30 bucks for two pounds. I wouldn't call it excessive.
Have you tried the famous 10-1 ratio of paraffin wax & PTFE powder? A batch will cost you under 5$ and it's said to be as effective as the big brand cycling wax companies...

Check out OZ Cycle's videos about it on YouTube. He's knowledgeable and trustable.
Old 03-13-24, 07:26 AM
Racing Dan

Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

Whats my alternative? To what?

I believe I made my point clearly, several times by now.

Get a new chain and wax it, in a sauce pan, straight form the package with no prep, in what ever wax you like. Should take only a few minutes, including waiting for the wax to melt. I trust you are not a child and wont set your house on fire or stink it up with wax smoke.

Rewax it i the same wax without cleaning it in advance. - Unless its a very soft wax it will retain only little old wax and grit. I believe it makes no or very little difference.

If you insist not getting dirt in your wax id get an other sauce pan with cheap paraffin wax or similar and swish/wash the chain in there. It will get off old lube and the tiny amount of "different" wax isn't going to do any harm in the "main" wax. -Why? Because, no wet chain, no chemicals to dispose of and no chemicals that need flushing from the chain. Just a block of wax that can be discarded as normal house hold waste.
Old 03-13-24, 07:30 AM
Kontact 

Get a new chain and wax it, in a sauce pan, straight form the package with no prep, in what ever wax you like. Should take only a few minutes, including waiting for the wax to melt. I trust you are not a child and wont set your house on fire or stink it up with wax smoke.

Rewax it i the same wax without cleaning it in advance. - Unless its a very soft wax it will retain only little old wax and grit. I believe it makes no or very little difference.

If you insist not getting dirt in your wax id get an other sauce pan with cheap paraffin wax or similar and swish/wash the chain in there. It will get off old lube and the tiny amount of "different" wax isn't going to do any harm in the "main" wax. -Why? Because, no wet chain, no chemicals to dispose of and no chemicals that need flushing from the chain. Just a block of wax that can be discarded as normal house hold waste.
It sounds like he has discovered a (mystery) product that lasts longer than regular wax, and since it costs a bit more he doesn't want to contaminate it.
Old 03-13-24, 08:27 AM
elcruxio

Aside from not prepping the chain before the first waxing, isn't that pretty much the basic recommended procedure that's touted pretty much everywhere? Or are you too deep into your own strawman about Silca slow cookers?

Do you even realize why people prefer slow cooker to a sauce pan? It's because with a sauce pan you need to watch over the wax lest it gets too hot. With a slow cooker you can leave the wax to melt and go off to do something else, like drink a beer or what have you.
A lot of people who got into waxing started out with a sauce pan. And decided afterwards that it'd be nice that you don't have to watch over the wax as it melts. But I suppose some people want to be in control and plop the chain in as soon as the wax has melted.

As to wanting the wax to stay clean. It depends on the conditions one rides in. But I don't get why one would use a sacrificial cleaning wax when boiling water does the same thing but is a lot more care free. I prefer not to contaminate my main wax with salt so I boil my chains before I wax them.
Boiling water is really easy. Doesn't require a slow cooker. Water isn't flammable nor are water vapors harmful. I can also dump the water afterwards. And water doesn't contaminate wax.
But wouldn't you know it, I actually tried not doing any cleaning via sacrificial waxing or boiling before waxing my chains. But unfortunately during the winter the wax I was using turned so gray that I just didn't want to use it anymore. Also the bottom of the puck had a solid 1cm layer of gunky wax which I tried scraping off but just gave up. No such issues after I started boiling my chains.
Old 03-13-24, 09:19 AM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by Kontact
It sounds like he has discovered a (mystery) product that lasts longer than regular wax, and since it costs a bit more he doesn't want to contaminate it.
Is this your thing now? You have the ability to respond directly to someone but choose to make snide comments about them instead?

Considering your other threads, I'm not surprised...
Old 03-13-24, 10:27 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Firstly often in these waxing topics there are people who feel the need to disparage the effort required for waxing and give "advice" about how it's much simpler just to apply one drop of lube per roller and wipe clean. Considering how large of an undertaking cleaning an oiled dirty chain is, I doubt many do it all that often. So the method of applying lube on a not completely sterile chain is pretty common.
That's it in a nutshell. Most cyclists don't care if their chain isn't squeaky clean so, for them, applying lube is easier than waxing.
Old 03-13-24, 11:21 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That's it in a nutshell. Most cyclists don't care if their chain isn't squeaky clean so, for them, applying lube is easier than waxing.
Indeed. 90% of the cyclists I see when I ride have black chains and black cassettes. Funny thing is, half of them probably don't know that the real color is silver. Law of least effort?
Old 03-13-24, 12:36 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by eduskator
Indeed. 90% of the cyclists I see when I ride have black chains and black cassettes. Funny thing is, half of them probably don't know that the real color is silver. Law of least effort?
Absolutely.
Old 03-13-24, 01:22 PM
Kontact 

Is this your thing now? You have the ability to respond directly to someone but choose to make snide comments about them instead?

Considering your other threads, I'm not surprised...
There was nothing snide in my response. Please reread.

Would you care to say what product you're using? Sounds good, being longer lasting yet not as pricey as most branded wax.
Old 03-13-24, 01:27 PM
Kontact 

Aside from not prepping the chain before the first waxing, isn't that pretty much the basic recommended procedure that's touted pretty much everywhere? Or are you too deep into your own strawman about Silca slow cookers?

Do you even realize why people prefer slow cooker to a sauce pan? It's because with a sauce pan you need to watch over the wax lest it gets too hot. With a slow cooker you can leave the wax to melt and go off to do something else, like drink a beer or what have you.
A lot of people who got into waxing started out with a sauce pan. And decided afterwards that it'd be nice that you don't have to watch over the wax as it melts. But I suppose some people want to be in control and plop the chain in as soon as the wax has melted.

As to wanting the wax to stay clean. It depends on the conditions one rides in. But I don't get why one would use a sacrificial cleaning wax when boiling water does the same thing but is a lot more care free. I prefer not to contaminate my main wax with salt so I boil my chains before I wax them.
Boiling water is really easy. Doesn't require a slow cooker. Water isn't flammable nor are water vapors harmful. I can also dump the water afterwards. And water doesn't contaminate wax.
But wouldn't you know it, I actually tried not doing any cleaning via sacrificial waxing or boiling before waxing my chains. But unfortunately during the winter the wax I was using turned so gray that I just didn't want to use it anymore. Also the bottom of the puck had a solid 1cm layer of gunky wax which I tried scraping off but just gave up. No such issues after I started boiling my chains.
If you use a pan with the minimum wax to cover the chain, it melts in 5 minutes on low. If you start with the chain under the wax everything is up to temp when the wax is all liquid and then you take it off. It never gets close to too hot and you look at bikeforums for a few minutes while you wait.

Double the wax, double the time.
Old 03-13-24, 01:48 PM
elcruxio

There was nothing snide in my response. Please reread.

Would you care to say what product you're using? Sounds good, being longer lasting yet not as pricey as most branded wax.
It's a local producer who makes mainly ski wax. I'm fairly certain he doesn't sell outside Finland. Shame really, because the wax really is quite good.

If you use a pan with the minimum wax to cover the chain, it melts in 5 minutes on low. If you start with the chain under the wax everything is up to temp when the wax is all liquid and then you take it off. It never gets close to too hot and you look at bikeforums for a few minutes while you wait.

Double the wax, double the time.
I have eight bikes (well, nine, kinda) to maintain. It just makes more sense for me to melt a big batch in a pot and wax a lot of chains at a time. Swapping a chain takes much less than waxing one chain and I can do the big batch waxing when it fits my schedule.

I don't use the slow cooker anymore, because it actually doesn't work with a wax that has a melting point above 90 celsius.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 03-13-24, 02:41 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
just gonna chime in here and comment again that there is a "middle way" when it comes to waxing - but one has to be OK with a little bit of grit on their bike and in the crock pot. doesn't bother me and I still don't hesitate to handle my drivetrain with bare hands. my methods involve zero inter-wax treatment, just the initial de-greasing of the factory wax. skimming through the thread, it seems like that's not even necessary either, which has me intrigued.
Old 03-13-24, 03:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
I don't use the slow cooker anymore, because it actually doesn't work with a wax that has a melting point above 90 celsius.
1. Is the wax you use a paraffin wax? The max melting point that I have seen quoted for paraffin wax is 165 *F or just under 75 *C. If it is a ski wax, why does it need to have such a high melting point?
2. Even my $10 2 Qt. Crock-Pot can reach the simmer point (209 *F or 98 *C) under both low and high temperature settings.

Slow Cooker Cooking Tips | Crockpot® (crock-pot.com)
Old 03-13-24, 09:23 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Never had issues just once a month cleaning with 1 step. I don't see the big deal. Simple green on the cassette and chainring. It takes like 10 minutes.
Old 03-13-24, 09:23 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I switched to wax a while ago for all my road/gravel/mtb bikes, absolutely love it!. Started with Candle Wax, switched to Silca after a while. A thought occurred to me - I have access to bunch of honey combs, can I use bees wax for my chains? I have PTFE, what is unclear to me whether bees wax is as good as paraffin wax for my chains. Thoughts?

Last edited by vtje; 03-13-24 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-13-24, 09:28 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by vtje
I switched to wax a while ago for all my road/gravel/mtb bikes, absolutely love it!. Started with Candle Wax, switched to Silca after a while. A thought occurred to me - I have access to bunch of bee combs, can I use bees wax for my chains? I have PTFE, what is unclear to me whether bees wax is as good as paraffin wax for my chains. Thoughts?
If you've melted out the honey, but I'd be worried about swarms.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 03-13-24, 09:41 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by SpedFast
Why have the sound of angry bees*, when you can have actual angry bees?

* Chris King hub
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-14-24, 11:52 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Or coming out of the coffee shop to find your bike being investigated by a bear.
Likes For choddo:
Old 03-15-24, 06:33 AM
Kontact 

I switched to wax a while ago for all my road/gravel/mtb bikes, absolutely love it!. Started with Candle Wax, switched to Silca after a while. A thought occurred to me - I have access to bunch of honey combs, can I use bees wax for my chains? I have PTFE, what is unclear to me whether bees wax is as good as paraffin wax for my chains. Thoughts?
Chances are that bees wax is the same kind of lubricant as paraffin wax: Zero. Same with ear wax.
Old 03-15-24, 07:30 AM
elcruxio

Probably not. Beeswax is quite soft but does have decent tensile strength. It's also somewhat tacky.

Chain waxes need to be hard and slippery. Otherwise efficiency goes out the window and the chain won't be protected as the soft wax is just cleared away by the chain moving. A hard wax leaves a slippery film on metal which is surprisingly hard to wear off.
Old 03-15-24, 10:11 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Switched back to wet lube on my MTB. I like to ride in riparian and/or mountain ecosystems, so a wet or muddy drivetrain happened often enough to piss me off and ruin the wax job.

Road, TT, track, trainer bikes - still waxing
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-15-24, 01:08 PM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Switched back to wet lube on my MTB. I like to ride in riparian and/or mountain ecosystems, so a wet or muddy drivetrain happened often enough to piss me off and ruin the wax job.

Road, TT, track, trainer bikes - still waxing
I just put wax on my MTB chain. Usually the most I’ll deal with the wet is a stream crossing, so we will see how it goes.
Likes For McFlyRides:
Old 03-16-24, 01:45 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
A friend asked a question yesterday that I hadn’t considered. Is it possible, in direct sunlight, for the wax to get hot enough to soften?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.