Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Quick saddle position question

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 07:07 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

On my ‘13 Specialized Roubaix I replaced my Body Geometry Toupe saddle with a Cobb Randee. The old saddle was painful due to, I think, it being too narrow.
The Cobb felt much better. Last fall after I had lost around 75 pounds I put the Specialized saddle back on- mainly because it looks cooler. It still was uncomfortable so I put the Cobb back on.
I didn’t get around to adjusting it due to an arm injury then cold weather. The Cobb is taller than the Specialized so I figured I would need to lower the stem. I had set it pretty much level and about centered forward and back. Basically neutral.
I got on it today for the first time in a couple of months. At first it felt almost too tall-taller than ever before, but my hips didn’t rock when I pedaled. I rode 5 miles and it felt good. It felt like I was lighter on the saddle. I rode in the hoods mostly but in the drops some. No leg strain.
Have I accidentally found the right height?
Old 02-20-24, 11:04 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Stranger things have happened. Ride easy for a couple of weeks and listen very carefully to your knees and legs.
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 02-22-24, 12:17 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Noone but you can tell if you've found the best saddle position for you. When putting a saddle on, I'll take along a wrench and have it handy for a couple of weeks, usually. If something doesn't feel just right, I can stop and make small adjustments, until I find the "sweet spot". If you didn't have to make many adjustments, guess you've found what works. Sometimes we're just lucky!
Likes For freeranger:
Old 02-22-24, 01:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
First time in a couple months? Let us know what it's like after you've ridden three or four rides in less than 10 days!
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-22-24, 04:29 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Iride01
First time in a couple months? Let us know what it's like after you've ridden three or four rides in less than 10 days!
Yeah. I strained or tore something in my arm.
Old 02-24-24, 01:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Yeah. I strained or tore something in my arm.
That's tough. I have found that I can't exist as the human I want to be if I don't do something every day. Doesn't have to be much . ..just stretches, planks and pushups before breakfast is enough to keep me operational though not fit. Injuries are the big bugaboo. You get some little thing like that so then you can't do something and that makes it worse and it's a downhill slide. It's tough. I had cataract surgery on one eye at a time, so 2 weeks in close succession during which I was forbidden to lift more than 20 lbs. or do anything that would make me sweat. So then I got sciatica just from not exercising. Almost got that fixed but wow am I weak. Back at it now. I like to do fast walks as well as cycling coming back from this sort of thing. So walk until the arm is better, like 3 brisk miles every other day and then every day when that gets too easy. You can probably plank just fine. Planking and pushups after stretching every morning go a long way toward injury prevention.
Old 02-24-24, 05:05 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
That's tough. I have found that I can't exist as the human I want to be if I don't do something every day. Doesn't have to be much . ..just stretches, planks and pushups before breakfast is enough to keep me operational though not fit. Injuries are the big bugaboo. You get some little thing like that so then you can't do something and that makes it worse and it's a downhill slide. It's tough. I had cataract surgery on one eye at a time, so 2 weeks in close succession during which I was forbidden to lift more than 20 lbs. or do anything that would make me sweat. So then I got sciatica just from not exercising. Almost got that fixed but wow am I weak. Back at it now. I like to do fast walks as well as cycling coming back from this sort of thing. So walk until the arm is better, like 3 brisk miles every other day and then every day when that gets too easy. You can probably plank just fine. Planking and pushups after stretching every morning go a long way toward injury prevention.
The arm is better. It doesn’t hurt supporting my weight on the handlebars now. I am just getting back in something resembling shape. It’s just harder to get motivated at 65 than it used to be.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 02-24-24 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-24-24, 05:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The arm is better. It doesn’t hurt supporting my weight on the handlebars now. I am just getting back in something resembling shape. It’s just harder to get mitivayed at 65 than it used to be.
OTOH, as we age, fitness becomes even more critical. You ain't seen nuthin' yet. The walker is not as far away as we wish it were. For me, it's fear, always a good motivator.

As long as the arm is good enough, a plank and pushups every morning has been very helpful for me.
Old 03-07-24, 09:41 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Iride01
I have ridden several times and so far the height feels good. I may move it forward or back later after I get an idea of where it needs to be to be just right. It’s ok for now.
Old 03-07-24, 10:13 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
...Have I accidentally found the right height?
Bravo... Mark it... Measure it from top of Seat to bottom peddle. Then from the top of your Hoods to the center of your seat. Write it down in your book of measurements. This may be the most important measurement on your bike.

Ya Found It!
Old 03-07-24, 10:55 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by zandoval
Bravo... Mark it... Measure it from top of Seat to bottom peddle. Then from the top of your Hoods to the center of your seat. Write it down in your book of measurements. This may be the most important measurement on your bike.

Ya Found It!
I forgot to measure but I did take pics. I will measure asap.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 03-14-24, 01:03 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I once accidentally found the ideal saddle height for me. I was on a tour, on my Surly LHT. I had gone through all sorts of machinations over a few years trying to get the saddle height right with my B17. It was close, but not perfect. I was initially fitted, but the seat height was definitely too high. I used Steve Hogg's approach to setting seat height, and got it better. I dropped it quite a bit using his method, but something always nagged me that it was still a bit too high, but I resisted. I would get some perineum pain on long days.

One weekend my wife drove out to spend the weekend with me while on tour. I had her bring an old saddle I had that had a cutout. I put it on and rode around the campground and immediately thought, no way! I put the Brooks back on and rode, and it was instant saddle nirvana. I inadvertently installed it a bit lower. I rode all that day and it was amazing. Zero pain, and everything felt good. It didn't matter if I rode 35 miles, or 70. No pain, and I could get up and do it again the next day.

I have kept the saddle at that height, and five years later, I have had no pain, and no more saddle sores. It is just perfect. I should have listened to my gut before that and lowered the saddle a bit, but I was holding onto the vestiges of the ridiculous formulaic methods of setting saddle height. I also noticed that people use the wrong method of setting saddle height when using the heel on the pedal method, placing the pedal arm perpendicular to the ground instead of inline to the seat tube. Inline with the seat tube is actually the bottom of the stroke, and the spot where your leg will be most extended. That position on my bike correlates very closely with my current "accidental" seat position. Had I continued to listen to most fitters, and used all the formulaic methods, I would be still having pain. For that matter, had I continued listening to myself, I would still be having pain. It took a quick haphazard install of my seat and seat post to teach me what the correct seat height is for me, which actually ended up confirming Steve Hogg's method, and the method of other fitters who use a dynamic approach to bike fitting. BikeFitJames is another one who has a great approach to bike fitting.
Likes For phughes: